Priest and stick

ShootingEgg

Last year whilst checking the feeders on my shoot I found a dead Roe Buck, already partly decomposed. I took the head as it was a good 6 point buck, but the skull was very dis coloured so i took the antlers off. Finally got round to refurbishing an old walking stick, after sanding it down and re varnishing it, Iwas able to mount one antler to it. 

A while back I bought a bespoke priest from a member on here, unfortunately the wood split but I kept the brass weight. Now I just need some strong glue to hold it in place on the other antler. 

DSC_1565.jpg
DSC_1564.jpg

Can I suggest what is recommended in stick making books to drill out both stick and antler and epoxy resin in a piece of 6mm studding. Looking at your antler you probably would be able to drill into it about 2 to 3 inches and the same into the stick. This would make a really secure job.

OB

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Plus one on the above. A puece of 1/4 inch threaded bar would do the job.  Mind, I don't like stick with pointy things stick up. If you stumble you could lose an eye very easily. Take care.

Yes i would cut them the same hight , and make a smaller thumb stick.

Most often I drill the antler core out and spigot the stick into it, but when using allthread, I drill the antler core out and fix a plug of wood dowel, into the void with epoxy.......when dry, I drill the dowel centrally to fit the diameter of the allthread!

If fixing a compass into for example, the coronet of the antler, I use brass allthread!

I also cut the pointed antler tines off, drill the core out, then spigot fit, a piece of exotic wood such as ebony into the end, to form a contrasting colour cap!....no danger of accidentally getting a sharp point in the eye then!

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

The black part of the stick has a rod through it, and is an inch into the stick and half inch into the antker using epoxy.

Priest has half inch threaded bar into antler again using epoxy. 

Will look at the best way to trim the points. 

Cheers

Once the points are trimmed, they can be capped using either buffalo or cow horn (whichever contrasts best) and then polished and they look great.

If you look at 'The Stickman' (Keith Pickering) website, he does a really extensive range of stick making stuff and is good to deal with. As previously suggested, you could put a small compass in one of the ends. Keith supplies those also, just something a little different.

OB

16 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

The black part of the stick has a rod through it, and is an inch into the stick and half inch into the antker using epoxy.

Priest has half inch threaded bar into antler again using epoxy. 

Will look at the best way to trim the points. 

Cheers

For what it's worth, I use approximately 4 to 5 inches of 1/4inch allthread, and usually include a 1/4 inch wide spacer (or maybe two) of black buffalo and/or lighter cowhorn in between....so approximately 2 inches goes into the antler (plus the width of the spacers) and approximately 2 inches into the stick!

For antler priests, I drill out the soft core (approx 1/2inch drill) of the antler approx 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep, tightly screw into the remaining soft core a 1 to 1 1/4 inch brass screw (to hold the lead loading in) pour in molten lead to cover the brass screw and to within 1/2 inch of the top......then spigot fit a piece of exotic hardwood over the hole, as a closure! shape and polish it, I then drill the antler in order to fit a piece of leather shoe lace to fit over the wrist....polish it all..........then give em to mates! Lol!

Edited by panoma1

20 hours ago, panoma1 said:

For what it's worth, I use approximately 4 to 5 inches of 1/4inch allthread, and usually include a 1/4 inch wide spacer (or maybe two) of black buffalo and/or lighter cowhorn in between....so approximately 2 inches goes into the antler (plus the width of the spacers) and approximately 2 inches into the stick!

For antler priests, I drill out the soft core (approx 1/2inch drill) of the antler approx 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep, tightly screw into the remaining soft core a 1 to 1 1/4 inch brass screw (to hold the lead loading in) pour in molten lead to cover the brass screw and to within 1/2 inch of the top......then spigot fit a piece of exotic hardwood over the hole, as a closure! shape and polish it, I then drill the antler in order to fit a piece of leather shoe lace to fit over the wrist....polish it all..........then give em to mates! Lol!

I fancy doing something like that as a priest. Any photos of your work ? I`ve now made a couple of thumbsticks using antler and lyre shaped cow horn with the spacers in between, as you say, and whilst not perfect, they look quite good.