Feeder Batteries

I wondered if there is anyone who could give me a little advice on a problem we have with some electric feeders. These have a small 12 volt electric motor and they run for about 20 seconds twice a day and cast barley into the water at a duck pond.

These feeders have two 6 volt PJ996 lantern type batteries wired in series to give the required voltage. We have tried several different makes and Energizer 529 Alkaline seem to be the best, however these have doubled in price in the last two years to approx £15 each.
When we look at the data sheets for these lantern batteries, the Energizer quotes 26Ah, Duracell quote 13Ah and Varta zinc chloride quote anything from 4 to 7.5Ah. however these date sheets all appear to differ in the tests that have been carried out to get these figures.

I was wondering if we could use a sealed lead acid battery as we can fit a 12v 7ah into the feeder quite easily converting it from the series wiring, logic says that these lead acid batteries would be at least as powerful as the lantern batteries but none of the data sheets compare like for like. I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on this idea, do you think this sound logical or should we fit even bigger amp hour batteries if we can some how fit them.

s.gifs.gif

14 hours ago, Stonepark said:

If you then get a 12v solar panel for keeping battery trickle charged and  install at same time, you then don't have to keep changing battery out.

I got the solar panel option on my auto feeders, I charge them up start of the season and don't touch them again until the season is over.

Hi

Ran 2 cabelas(u s a ) autos on 7 ah  12v  lead acid batteries used to last 2 weeks with a morning and evening run ,not dead on change but had spares and allowed never running out of food supply,

The lantern type batteries are now v expensive .

the small solar panels are fine in spring ,summer and autumn but as the amount of sun drops not much charge in mid winter.if you want mainly for release pens fine in summer/autumn time. used on ducks in winter and was easier to change battery when filling drum,battery as in rough box attached to feeder leg.

cheers bill

p s amazon visua solar powered battery chargershave one charges dogrun alarm system been out side 7 years still going.

Thanks for the info, the feeders are Kenco from USA, and run morning and evening for about 20 seconds. The Energiser battery's run fro August to end of season. We can get the 7ah battery in the back so we will try some. Bruno22rf kindly gave me a battery and solar panel to convert the first one. Should save save money even buying spares