"they're all in Britain"

old'un

Just before I left school at the age of 15 (1965) we had a careers officer visit the school and interview us one to one, asking us what job we wanted to-do, we were offered a job in our chosen trade and an apprenticeships with the employer.

Does this type of advice and opportunity still happen in schools? And if not then I can understand why all the skilled Polish workers are here.  

no it doesn't old un they are told to apply for uni to get a career  and parents are urged to eg them on  to do it

it turns out that most kids at uni are still thick no job prospects and 50 grand in debt

we were the lucky ones and didn't know it poor kids nowdays don't stand a chance

31 minutes ago, old'un said:

Does this type of advice and opportunity still happen in schools? And if not then I can understand why all the skilled Polish workers are here.  

It does in some areas, however many youngsters are put off by two things:-

they have to complete their training.

they have to WORK for their money (sorry for the 4 letter word)

36 minutes ago, old'un said:

Just before I left school at the age of 15 (1865) we had a careers officer visit the school and interview us one to one, asking us what job we wanted to-do, we were offered a job in our chosen trade and an apprenticeships with the employer.

Fixed the typo for ya :whistling:

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Just before I left school at the age of 15 (1965) we had a careers officer visit the school and interview us one to one, asking us what job we wanted to-do, we were offered a job in our chosen trade and an apprenticeships with the employer.

Similar with us except the girls were told to be typists and the boys told to go down the pit. At least most of us could reed, rite and count to 10.

Best 5 minutes of our education.

Edited by old man

Oh the irony.

A polish ceo -  “We are short of skilled workers so we have to recruit from Bangladesh”

an english ceo - “we are short of skilled workers so we have to recruit from Poland”

both - “we just can’t get native workers to do the jobs”

The answer in both cases is to pay more but that’s not going to happen.

i wonder if Bangladesh will ever reach the stage where they run short of workers.