Save our reseviors

Ferret664

I agree with your post but here in Northern Ireland a lot of anglers i know fish trout fisheries if there going for rainbows I myself personally dont like reservoirs or trout fisheries i only fish rivers for trout I have seen a lot of people the last 5 years take up fly angling mostly on rivers But on the other hand know some anglers who have given up the couple of reservoirs local to where I live they rather go to fisheries for ease of fishing 

It's not hard to cast a line, but it is hard to do it well every time. I taught myself from a library book when I was a kid (showing my age). It didn't take me too long to get my first trout, but I had sheer bloody determination in those days! A bit of tuition would speed up the learning process significantly. Put and take fisheries are fairly common and the snobbishness associated with trout fishing has largely disappeared.

38 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

I'd love to give fly fishing a go. I haven't fished since I was a kid. Is it easy to get into/give it a go?

I only took up fly fishing six or seven years ago.

I'm sure there'd be a reservoir or fishery round your way that would do starter courses. On a budget a 10' 7weight Shakespeare Agility rod £40ish, Greys GTS 500 reel £50-£55. fly line and backing £20-£40 then a few flies.

At Grafham Water, where I fish for example, they do a starter course for about £75 then you can have a starter season ticket for £240 for 65 fish. Depending where you fish, day tickets tend to be £20-£30 plus boat hire.

My silver ticket costs £655 March to end of January and 200 fish. I pay it in four bimonthly instalments.

There's usually plenty of experienced anglers happy to give advice, have a look on flyfishing.co.uk for example for info.

Depending where you live, it is easy to get into and, usually, easy to give it a go. Best thing is to try and find someone willing to take you out to see if you like it before spending too much.

There's nothing compares to that first take from a fit trout, especially when they end up under the grill.

5 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Hi, Guildford, Surrey. I'm sure there must be somewhere around here to give it a go.

hello, there are a few trout lakes and some river fishing, pop in your local fishing tackle shop, they should say what is available, if Abingdon is not to far i can help you get the basics sorted like casting and gear, farmoor near Oxford is an ideal location, but the weather has taken its toll on trout fishing so wait till some rain and cooler conditions prevail, 

I would seriously like to do this but I don't know how to start. In fact its the first I have heard of it. Perhaps that's a significant factor in the decline of  a lot of country sports, they are like a secret society. Not exactly broadcasting its availability is it? 

Years ago we used to go fishing on the canal and when the bailiff came along you gave him a shilling