House of Lords

krugerandsmith

Get rid of? no. Drastically reform it? yes. Here's what I'd do.

Reduce numbers MASSIVELY. I'd have it at say 30% of the number of MP's at Westminster. That'd give 195 at the moment. Of that, I'd have 20 life peers, because longevity and consistency do give foundation.

I'd make it elected, either by the electorate or potentially by the Commons - even if it's a case of proposal by parties followed by a free vote

I'd find a way to make it as intellectually elite as possible, not to keep privilege, but to have a House where the best and the brightest minds are debating issues. I wouldn't care what accent the person had, or his skin colour, or anything like that, so long as their mind was razor sharp and could take debate beyond what regular chaps could see.

I'd stop them being just handed out to anyone. I appreciate having Lords in from all walks of life and experience is useful, and I can see why someone like Tanni Grey Thompspn is a useful lady to have in there, but the likes of Andrew Llyod Webber? Really? He never shows up anyway!

Oh and I'd make it compulsory. If you're a Lord, you show up. 

For fun, I just looked up voting records.

From April 2013 to today, Lloyd Webber's voted on things 15 times.

Tanni Grey Thompson's voted 16 times this year alone. 

Lloyd Webber's been in The Lords 14 years longer and has voted 42 times Since 2001 (public records only go back this far). Grey Thompson's voted 280 times since entering in 2010. And she's only got a voting record of 40%, although I guess that's a bit better than Lloyd Webber's 2%!

Edited by chrisjpainter

Oh the irony!!

Part of the reason I voted leave was because of the 1975 betrayal when we were asked to vote on a common market but were led like Lambs to the slaughter into a European Parliament which is governed by an unelected commission.

The referendum was my chance to have a vote against being governed by an unelected commission.

Hey ho! my democratic wish is now dependent upon an unelected house holding sway over our elected representatives!

Sack the lot of 'em!!!:yes:

Just now, KFC said:

Oh the irony!!

Part of the reason I voted leave was because of the 1975 betrayal when we were asked to vote on a common market but were led like Lambs to the slaughter into a European Parliament which is governed by an unelected commission.

The referendum was my chance to have a vote against being governed by an unelected commission.

Hey ho! my democratic wish is now dependent upon an unelected house holding sway over our elected representatives!

Sack the lot of 'em!!!:yes:

hello, what a great idea KFC:good: and agree on the 1975 vote, i think if that had been a big NO we would not have all the problems that have plagued our country since.

59 minutes ago, KFC said:

Oh the irony!!

Sack the lot of 'em!!!

All true, and yes ,sack the lot of them, but is that even possible ?

Dont forget, it wasnt the EU in 75, it was the EEC or common market, which didnt seem to be a bad idea at the time..

The simple fact of the matter is , we are where we are now due to the stealth and collusion of British and European politicians since then.

And who are we 'trusting' to extract us from this mire ?
Thats right, British and European politicians !
A lot of them, and this includes the lords, would quite happily completely ignore the Brexit vote, and keep us in.
They have NO RESPECT for democracy, they actively seek to curtail it.

When you realise your vote is pretty worthless, you have to think of other ways to get your point across.

Thanks to newbie for the petition link, I have signed it, we need rid of these treasonous vermin, the other house is also full to bursting of those that want to see democracy undone, it's outrageous, why do they feel they should vote, the entire British public has already cast their vote, I'm actually at the point I'd welcome a second referendum, I beleive the result would now be so overwheming politics as we know it now would implode.

Signed. Was invited to discuss this with my local MP but there is nothing right nor honorable about Keith Vaz!

I see its had 130K signatures so it apparently has to be discussed in Parliament but I reckon the best that will happen is they see how much it pees the electorate off but they'll likely brush it off in seconds as it counters their interests.

I'm desperately trying to find my post, shortly after the Brexit vote, that stated that the political classes would never allow this decision to stand and would block, upset and prevent it happening by any means whatsoever. The replies came thick and fast that folk would riot. I think we would do better by simply abstaining from any future further involvement in the political process whatsoever. I know that, if this isn't delivered, I simply won't bother voting in future. The 'illusion' of democracy will have become absolute in my mind.