Semi auto chokes

Farmboy91

What's everyone got there semi choked at? 

I've got a teague 1/4 extended choke in the A303 at the minute, was going to buy another at the weekend, wasn't sure whether to go for 1/2 or 3/4. 

Always think 1/4 seems too open for rough/ decoying? 

Any opinions welcome. 

I used a 1/2 fixed choke in a Remmie for years and shot thousands of pigeons with it, mostly 30 gram 6's. I have a Briley I/C in my 303 for clay shooting and just use a tighter patterned cartridge on anything considered 'rangey'. Works for me, BUT,  it is what gives YOU,  the most confidence.

17 minutes ago, Westley said:

I used a 1/2 fixed choke in a Remmie for years and shot thousands of pigeons with it, mostly 30 gram 6's. I have a Briley I/C in my 303 for clay shooting and just use a tighter patterned cartridge on anything considered 'rangey'. Works for me, BUT,  it is what gives YOU,  the most confidence.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will go for 1/2 as I know the vast majority of shots are sub 40/45 yards away, just don't seem to do that well with 1/4.

I was using a Briley extended Mod. (1/2) over decoys but was just smashing pigeons, using Hull Superfast pigeon 29gram 6's.  I managed to buy a used 3/8 or LM Briley and have used that ever since, to good effect. As I said though, it is what YOU have confidence in.

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

Full in my decoying auto. 

Ah, pigeon soup  !  Interesting.    :hmm: 

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks for the reply, I think I will go for 1/2 as I know the vast majority of shots are sub 40/45 yards away, just don't seem to do that well with 1/4.

Potters doing a good price on Briley flush chokes, just bought a Browning 20 bore flush Briley for £24.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Soup? You've obviously never done it then. 

I ate so many of the damned things during the 60's and 70's that I came to detest the taste in whatever style they were cooked, and that includes curry !  But due to my excellent hide building and supreme 'fieldcraft', the birds were coming in so close I was hand feeding them, thus the need for more open choke.     :whistling: 

Just now, Westley said:

I ate so many of the damned things during the 60's and 70's that I came to detest the taste in whatever style they were cooked, and that includes curry !  But due to my excellent hide building and supreme 'fieldcraft', the birds were coming in so close I was hand feeding them, thus the need for more open choke.     :whistling: 

Fair enough. I can't confess to having your skills in either fieldcraft or hide building; I just love to see that puff of 'chaff' as they fly into a tight pattern. 

hello, i think half choke is ideal for hide shooting, but then it is interesting to see what other PW members use, back in the early years when most i knew had side by sides  spanish guns were half and full, for about £8 ish we had them taken out to improved/ half or improved /3/4

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Are you not hitting and killing stuff with your 1\4 choke ?

I tend to use either 1\4 or 1\2 choke in my Benelli M2 semi auto, or of late i just leave my Carlson Cremator mid range wildfowl choke in and use that for everything, which i think is around half choke at .707"

Best thing is to pattern your gun and choke with the carts you use, your 1\4 may be tighter or more open than you think.

Edited by figgy

34 minutes ago, figgy said:

Are you not hitting and killing stuff with your 1\4 choke ?

I tend to use either 1\4 or 1\2 choke in my Benelli M2 semi auto, or of late i just leave my Carlson Cremator mid range wildfowl choke in and use that for everything, which i think is around half choke at .707"

Best thing is to pattern your gun and choke with the carts you use, your 1\4 may be tighter or more open than you think.

No, I'd say it was 30% kills to 70% misses. Gun fits me pretty well but no I haven't patterned it yet think I'll do that tonight, just didn't want to over choke it either. 

Everyone is talking choke which is the first half of the equation, ammo being the other.
Full choke might be required for an open patterned fibre 28g no6 for a 45 ysrd kill, however you might only require a 1/4 choke for a tight patterning 28g no 7 1/2.

Pattern gun with cartridge until you find combination you like and then stick with it.

Edited by Stonepark

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Everyone is talking choke which is the first half of the equation, ammo being the other.
Full choke might be required for an open patterned fibre 28g no6 for a 45 ysrd kill, however you might only require a 1/4 choke for a tight patterning 28g no 7 1/2.

Pattern gun with cartridge until you find combination you like and then stick with it.

That’s why I said 

3/4 or full for live quarry depending on cartridge

in other words fibre or  plaswad ?

just didn’t want to open another can of worms. 

Edited by stevo