Few pics,started the bucks.

sako751sg

Late start to the bucks but this last week has been  busy with very high numbers going about and some cracking head gear.

Decent enough weather so made the most of it with 3 foxes and a wee cast at the troot keeping 2 for 3.5lb on the dryfly from the river.

Put a bird feeder at the new hoosie and the bird numbers are great to see with a good mix including Warblers,Linnets,a Red Poll,Bullies and shed loads of tits along with plenty others.

Will be near flat oot with work from now so time will be pretty limited but will still pick away and have some olders lads to take oot.Hopefully the lad who done the munties and CWD will get time for a trip as was too busy with the late drilling and hoping to make it a regular swap.

704xDgd.jpg

m9PMbUt.jpg

IoRsHAv.jpg

kryAOTT.jpg

5LWi1RO.jpg

T8hWf3Q.jpg

Ajxrlwm.jpg

o41wAiE.jpg

SUDNkQO.jpg

NColHnz.jpg

K0VeFx5.jpg

pkuNZvW.jpg

7oYqhlx.jpg

gBo8TvX.jpg

jR28bUY.jpg

Xb9npWE.jpg

KsVcaFM.jpg

auptore.jpg

HuL6VH2.jpg

KRiC8sg.jpg

rbPbspT.jpg

4kLVrhh.jpg

JtLwIQt.jpg

Nice one pal some nice healthy beasts grassed,I'm out next weekend on the Bucks, due to work and family etc its my first outing on them, that fox with the dog and rifle is a big un!!! I shot one a couple of weeks ago whilst after muntjac ( I grassed 3 :) ) and he was a big un also , the same length as our Mack a lab x gwp And was in cracking condition

flynny

Edited by flynny

On 5/1/2018 at 20:54, Walker570 said:

Nice, thanks for sharing. Some good looking heads there as well. Love that dog:good:

Cheers fella.

Some fine mature beasts moving now and new heads appearing.

Dog has his moment but would be lost withoot him.

On 5/1/2018 at 20:59, ClemFandango said:

absolutely brilliant. Thanks for posting. 

Some cracking bucks there. 

Ta bud.

Late start to them but as you say some fine ones there.Leaving quite a few younger lads for next year in the places i know they will be semi safe.

23 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Stunning :good:

Cheers Mike.

21 hours ago, flynny said:

Nice one pal some nice healthy beasts grassed,I'm out next weekend on the Bucks, due to work and family etc its my first outing on them, that fox with the dog and rifle is a big un!!! I shot one a couple of weeks ago whilst after muntjac ( I grassed 3  ) and he was a big un also , the same length as our Mack a lab x gwp And was in cracking condition

flynny

All healthy and the winter hasnt done them any harm.

Biggish fox and loads on the go early morning the now so trying to thin them out a bit.

Good luck with your weekend on the bucks,weather supposed to be perfect so heres hoping.

17 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Absolutely brilliant Dave , some cracking heeds there . Pity about the bad weather at the beginning of the month.

Cheers Mark.

Late start right enough with the weather but at least most matures are clean and dont think ive seen so many so early.

A bit of territorial stuff has started so the voids will be filled soon enough.

Will give you a buzz this weekend if i remember.

Some nice pics again,

Defiantly getting me excited for next week and my first trip of the buck season up there. 

Do you find your big boys very localised? as i have had various bits of ground through Aberdeenshire but never seen anything like those.

8 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Great pics as usual:good: interesting you managed to get one swimming I had exactly the same last month in a pond

Cheers Bumpy.

Aye,if there is water close they have an uncanny knack of finding it right enough.

31 minutes ago, .223 said:

Some nice pics again,

Defiantly getting me excited for next week and my first trip of the buck season up there. 

Do you find your big boys very localised? as i have had various bits of ground through Aberdeenshire but never seen anything like those.

Ta fella.

Usually the big lads get the cream of the territory so kind of know where they will settle.

Have 3 big ones in different places that ive left for 3-4 years and fine seeing progress and fill their potential although all it takes is for them to lose out to a bigger one and might never see again.

Usually try and shoot most of the stuff just now thats maybe middling as the void is filled quickly especially this month with turf wars.

Love this time of year and seeing new faces every day really,good luck with your week.

Edited by sako751sg

2 hours ago, sako751sg said:

Cheers Bumpy.

Aye,if there is water close they have an uncanny knack of finding it right enough.

Ta fella.

Usually the big lads get the cream of the territory so kind of know where they will settle.

Have 3 big ones in different places that ive left for 3-4 years and fine seeing progress and fill their potential although all it takes is for them to lose out to a bigger one and might never see again.

Usually try and shoot most of the stuff just now thats maybe middling as the void is filled quickly especially this month with turf wars.

Love this time of year and seeing new faces every day really,good luck with your week.

very true about the bigger ones left them in the past and then they are never to be seen again.i hate the thought of shooting good animals before there prime and before they have covered others. but my ideas of managing roe have changed i must admit over the years here.

slightly different around here with reference to holding ground as i think they are disturbed more.it sounds a bit a bit wrong but now i am under the impression that trying to hold roe or manage them on smaller farms etc is impossible. as bob next door might grass it or it will move over boundaries etc. it is a tough call to try and balance a gene pool where you want decent animals but on the other hand dont want to lose them in the first place. even on a couple of hundred acres i think potentially it is hard to manage the deer here with boundaries constantly changing .

have watched a nice buck for the past 3 years in a small orchard near me he looks a cracker. with great body weight and very good head gear. which would suggest they do hold small areas completely contradicting what i just wrote i suppose lol

shot a nice cull buck tonight for the freezer. as you say great time of year to be out on the bucks with plenty showing. please keep posting Ed

On 5/4/2018 at 23:30, bumpy22 said:

very true about the bigger ones left them in the past and then they are never to be seen again.i hate the thought of shooting good animals before there prime and before they have covered others. but my ideas of managing roe have changed i must admit over the years here.

slightly different around here with reference to holding ground as i think they are disturbed more.it sounds a bit a bit wrong but now i am under the impression that trying to hold roe or manage them on smaller farms etc is impossible. as bob next door might grass it or it will move over boundaries etc. it is a tough call to try and balance a gene pool where you want decent animals but on the other hand dont want to lose them in the first place. even on a couple of hundred acres i think potentially it is hard to manage the deer here with boundaries constantly changing .

have watched a nice buck for the past 3 years in a small orchard near me he looks a cracker. with great body weight and very good head gear. which would suggest they do hold small areas completely contradicting what i just wrote i suppose lol

shot a nice cull buck tonight for the freezer. as you say great time of year to be out on the bucks with plenty showing. please keep posting Ed

Ive around 20 farms ranging from 15ish acres up to 1600 acres and with the smaller ones near every buck gets the pill as a lot are just satellite bucks that wander about with no real territory.

And its funny how some little bits produce cracking resident bucks with only a wee bit cover but it must be enough to make for a good territory.

Ive a cracking medal buck this morning from a 5 acre field where i shot one 2 summers ago that missed gold by less than a point and its a bit always gets taken by a good mature beast although not always the best head.

Funny creatures and will never stop learning from them.

Like you my buck shooting has changed to being way more thoughtful regarding each beast before the trigger is pulled,although my average stays near the same every season but a lot of that is due to hardly shooting any does.

Edited by sako751sg