Another waste not want not thread

I am sure someone else has done this but thought it worth posting anyway for anyone who has not seen it done.  My friendly farmer had two 45gal oil drums which he was about to crush and scrap. New condition and good metal. They were the type with the small screw access cap, not the 45 gal bins you see with the large lid.  I mark a line about 8 onches down around the bottom end and then cut around with a disc cutter. This forms a good strong lid.  I then have a crimping tool I made from some 30mil box section and standing one leg in the drum and one out, I work this alternating bending the edge for about 5 inches deep crimp all around and this reduces the rim size so the lid slides on forming a secure waterproof cover. Ever so easy to do.   I then had some scrap lengths of 3/4 rod which I bent slightly and then welded together to form a stand for the drum to sit in, so no bolts or screws through the sides to let in water. Finished off with some scrap 4 inch reinforcing wire mesh welded round to stop the munties bunting the spring and this really strengthens the stand. Drill some 1/8 holes about an inch from the bottom of the legs and thread some high tensile fencer wire through and around all four legs and this prevents them sinking and also stops any likelyhood of them spreading.  The wire is not shown on the photos.  Cheap strong waterproof feeders, easily accessed and easy to pour the feed in.

20180429_131640 (800x450).jpg

20180427_164618 (800x450).jpg

20180501_115716 (800x450).jpg

Later, later Mice. 3hrs on the silage pit result, 5 pheasants, 25 pigeons, at least 20 chaffinches feeding way which normally act as decoys, but no corvids. I think I have done for the local magpies because the farmer isn't seeing any.  147 maggies off that farm yard in just over 12 months has got to have had an effect:good:

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Later, later Mice. 3hrs on the silage pit result, 5 pheasants, 25 pigeons, at least 20 chaffinches feeding way which normally act as decoys, but no corvids. I think I have done for the local magpies because the farmer isn't seeing any.  147 maggies off that farm yard in just over 12 months has got to have had an effect:good:

Are you a secret Sunderland fan ?? 

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Are you a secret Sunderland fan ?? 

Errr?????  That one is above my pay level ...if something to do with football, then I have no time for watching the grossly overpaid  kicking a bag of wind about.

On to more inmportant matters ....   2 magpies and a squirrel from my wood this morning. Built a new blind to replace a broken down one and re positioned the feder table.   It paid off this morning as the first visitor, a magpie got a taste of the AAS200,  then along came Mr Tree Rat, I had seen him on the trail cam the day before. One through the ribs at 30yrds saw it bounce a couple of yards and job done.  Then another magpie at about 15yrds did not twitch as the Webley 14.35 Mosquito bit.  Did not bother to retrieve the first maggie as it dropped in the middle of some brambles and nettles. My friendly buzzard will clear that up no doubt after gourging on the squirrel.  Lovely morning for a change and no rain.

20180503_081513 (800x450).jpg

20180503_084930 (800x450).jpg

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:20, Walker570 said:

I am sure someone else has done this but thought it worth posting anyway for anyone who has not seen it done.  My friendly farmer had two 45gal oil drums which he was about to crush and scrap. New condition and good metal. They were the type with the small screw access cap, not the 45 gal bins you see with the large lid.  I mark a line about 8 onches down around the bottom end and then cut around with a disc cutter. This forms a good strong lid.  I then have a crimping tool I made from some 30mil box section and standing one leg in the drum and one out, I work this alternating bending the edge for about 5 inches deep crimp all around and this reduces the rim size so the lid slides on forming a secure waterproof cover. Ever so easy to do.   I then had some scrap lengths of 3/4 rod which I bent slightly and then welded together to form a stand for the drum to sit in, so no bolts or screws through the sides to let in water. Finished off with some scrap 4 inch reinforcing wire mesh welded round to stop the munties bunting the spring and this really strengthens the stand. Drill some 1/8 holes about an inch from the bottom of the legs and thread some high tensile fencer wire through and around all four legs and this prevents them sinking and also stops any likelyhood of them spreading.  The wire is not shown on the photos.  Cheap strong waterproof feeders, easily accessed and easy to pour the feed in.

20180429_131640 (800x450).jpg

20180427_164618 (800x450).jpg

20180501_115716 (800x450).jpg

outstanding I like up cycling