North V South shoot 2018...with a difference..!

Catamong

As this years Charity shoot has been postponed by Teal, (for quite understandable reasons), both Captains of the North and South teams have decided to go "head to head" in a truly international style, over the weekend of 12th - 13th May, at a very nice ground in the Netherlands, (Weert), just over the border from Belgium, (so I'm told)..!

This is a 200 bird Compak Sporting event, shot over 8 x 25 bird layouts, we will actually be travelling over together in the same motor, for what I am sure will be a fabulous weekend of shooting.

Lead shot has now been banned in Holland, so this event will be labelled the "Classic Steel Challenge", it also celebrates the 10th anniversary of the opening of the ground, and I hope to be able to post a full report of the event, (with comments from Mr Potter), after the event.

This will be a truly international event, with a good few of the top shots from Europe taking part, so if anybody wants to join us for a fun weekend, see details below:

https://www.schietbaandewildenberg.nl/en/matches/calender/news/News/detail/classic-steel-challenge-compak/

Cat.:good:

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Sounds like a good event, hope you both shoot well. What steel carts are you taking, or are you buying them at the venue?

Looking forward to your shoot report, hope potter wins for the north :lol::friends:

I'll be using Gamebore Black Gold 28g 7.5's, I have used them in the past for pigeons as all of my birds go to Falcon breeders, but I now buy steel loads in France, where I can get them for around £165/1000.

Just look at the extra pellet count for the Steel load on the right v the equivalent lead load on the left..?

Cat.

Steel Shot v Lead Shot.JPG

Cat i used some gamebore 28g steel a few years ago through my semi auto and mixed them in my pocket with some lead carts and could not tell a difference when using them.

All the people that slated steel carts cant have tried any decent ones.

Anything close will be powder with that pellet count. Let us know if the targets are set different for all steel only shoot.

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Sounds like a good event, hope you both shoot well. What steel carts are you taking, or are you buying them at the venue?

Looking forward to your shoot report, hope potter wins for the north :lol::friends:

When I shoot FITASC Sporting in Holland I buy whatever is available, but I do try to avoid Black Gold as I mustn't be as rich as Cat??. One thing I have noticed is the lack of shot size 9 which is a shot size that can be quite useful when shooting Compak so I'll be taking 4 or 5 boxes of White Gold 28g 9's and take pot luck with what's available in 7.5 for the rest.

Thanks figgy, I'll certainly try my hardest.  Can't insult the soft southerners too much as I'm getting a lift from him and don't want abandoning on the ferry!

As for setting the targets differerently for steel shot.  Some of the FITASC Sporting targets I've shot in Holland with steel have really been extreme, 60+ yards and I've seen them broken! not always the most devestating of breaks but still killed.

I had some good breaks at distance with steel 7,5 shot on clays showing belly. 

Best of luck to you both, looking  forward to the report of your trip. 

How did you do in the FITASC potter ? You made the England team didn’t you. 

Edited by figgy

I'm currently in Cyprus figgy as a GB team member in the veterans (was Supervet) class starting this afternoon shooting the European Compak championship.  I was in the GB team last year for FITASC Sporting at the World Championship in Italy. 

To add, if anybody who is a bit bobbins at fitasc and comes from the south and happens to be shooting at the fitasc Euro’s in Italy  next month, we can carry on this north v south rivalry in yet another country, a proper global affair.  You have to be proper bobbins though if i’m going to reperesent the north and flying solo.

2 hours ago, grrclark said:

Is it it true at the major compak events that you have a day or two to practice on the competition targets?

Heard that last year about the world’s in Poland and didn’t know if I was being strung a line.

Yes, that's true, although there is no guarantee that the targets you shoot in practice will be the exact targets that are thrown in the competition, I would say typically that around 90% will be the same, but the organisers frequently alter the odd target to catch people out, and will usually always alter the sequence, so it's debatable whether too much practice before the event is of any real benefit..?

Cat.

2 hours ago, grrclark said:

To add, if anybody who is a bit bobbins at fitasc and comes from the south and happens to be shooting at the fitasc Euro’s in Italy  next month, we can carry on this north v south rivalry in yet another country, a proper global affair.  You have to be proper bobbins though if i’m going to reperesent the north and flying solo.

Sadly, I won't be doing the FITASC in Italy, I've even pulled out of the World FITASC at St Lambert in France, purely because the French have laid on another FITASC Grand Prix at La Cerisaille, just south of Paris the weekend before, and there's only so many shoots you can do..?:sad1:

Not only that, St Lambert is a lovely ground, but I've shot there every year for the last 5 years, and I like to do different grounds.

Good luck to all that are going..!:good:

Cat.

23 hours ago, figgy said:

Cat you make all these European shoots sound so much better than the cold wet snowy miserable FITASC shoots we have in the UK. 

Well, they are certainly better organised, far fewer trap breakdowns, dead batteries and the like, also the refs are qualified FFBT guys who really know their stuff.

Also, the payouts are significantly better, at the last Compak shoot at Arras, they had a full entry, 120 shooters paying about £58 each for a 100 bird shoot over 4 layouts, High Gun was a Beretta Semi, others received a total of 18,000 Viri cartridges, not bad eh..?

Cat.

European Compak championship finished late yesterday afternoon with a good haul of trophies and medals for the Brits.  I hope I don’t miss anybody out but here goes. Junior category winner ?? James Bradley-Day after a sudden death shoot off. ?? Ladies team won the bronze medals, men’s team were placed fourth. ?? Senior team (ex vets) won gold and ?? Glenn Hunt  beat ??Tony Dean to the individual silver medal. In my catagory Vets(coffin dodgers) ??John Bidwell took the bronze medal after a three way shoot off on 25 awesome targets. I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice trophy for 4th place and as part of the ??GB team won a silver medal.  A brilliant event in great weather (other than quite strong winds on the Saturday afternoon).

Roll on this coming weekend and the mini North v South battle in The Netherlands.