Open fire

Archie-fox

Morning all,

i have a original open fire in my lounge that works purfectly however after a few years of hard use the fire cement has cracked up and some large cracks have appeared this winter..what sort of price am I looking at to have it repaired? Is it a big job? Keep thinking to have it removed and a wood burning stove put in but it’s such a nice feature..

cheers for any replies..

hello, as scully mentioned you do not need take out your fire place as it is a nice feature to your room, find a local installer of wood burners and if they can fit one in you like they can sort out cracks but it is a fairly simple process to do your self, plenty of u tube vids, and info on fire cement. oh if you find an installer to do a quote check them out on the computer for reviews from other customers    

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

If you get a wood burner you generally need a stainless flexible flue liner installed in the chimney. Round here registered HETAS fitters charge a fortune for doing this and installing a stove i.e. nearly a grand! Add this to the cost of the stove and it might be worth keeping your fire!