Scope magnification for 22LR?

Houseplant

Following on from my other thread. I set up 24mm targets on paper at 50 metres. My scope is decent quality, but with maximum magnification at X9, the targets were bloody tiny! I'm rabbit shooting to 50 metres at the moment, but would like to push that out further as my marksmanship improves. Thinking about a higher magnification scope. What are you using?

I am no expert on scopes but my scope (22lr) goes up-to x12, but very rarely use that magnification as the field of view is very small, shooting rabbits out to 75 yards x9 seems to be about right for me.

Surprised you think the 24mm target is small with the scope set at x9? I usually zero my rifle at 50 yards on 10mm dots on plain white paper.

On the rare occasion I take the .22LR bunny bashing it would be used at about 50 yards on about 5 mag. I find it difficult to acquire bunnies at the typical 80 yards HMR range I shoot them at if I use much more 6 or 8 mag.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. It's whatever suits you. I use 6x on my rimfires and 8x on my centrefires. 

My 22 hornet I just changed from 8x to 6x.

Edited by walshie

20 hours ago, old'un said:

I usually zero my rifle at 50 yards on 10mm dots on plain white paper.

That is impressive! 

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

I've knobbled bunnies at allot more than 50 yards with a 9x. If your struggling with 9x maybe the opticians may be more help. 

That's not a problem. I'm thinking about the 100 yard shots that I'm working up to 

Thanks for all the other replies. All read and digested. 

1 hour ago, defender said:

hello, what difference is that scope to the Hawke rimfire ?  i have the 4 x 12 x 50, you zero on 12 mag at 50 yards and use the reticule points for  75/100/125, yards etc depending on the range your shooting, i do not use the red/green system  just have a red torch on top for dusk and night shooting, the rear diopter is at max to my eye sight so the scope is in focus at all ranges but i still find the clarity disappointing,   would the sweet 22  be  a better scope ? i have a CZ 455 22 L/R

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I have always found a good quality 6x fixed scope to be just right on my .22 and can go out beyond 100 yards with it.

Good quality doesn't have to mean the most expensive, I have never been able to afford such things.

In my opinion the variable mag scopes just give one more thing to fiddle around with when in practice (as has been said already on this thread) the best thing to do is choose a setting and leave it there.

6x for me.

At 6x my S&B is clearer than my old scope was wound up to 12x. Lower magnification in a quality scope does seem to give me at least a better result than less good quality glass at higher magnifciation (up to a point, in really bright light things would probably be less different).

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what difference is that scope to the Hawke rimfire ?  i have the 4 x 12 x 50, you zero on 12 mag at 50 yards and use the reticule points for  75/100/125, yards etc depending on the range your shooting, i do not use the red/green system  just have a red torch on top for dusk and night shooting, the rear diopter is at max to my eye sight so the scope is in focus at all ranges but i still find the clarity disappointing,   would the sweet 22  be  a better scope ? i have a CZ 455 22 L/R

I had one of those and gave it away a few weeks back to a chap on here (a sweet 22).

I thought the quality of the image was terrible and could not get on with it. In really bright light it was ok but under the lamp or on dull days it was no use at higher magnifications and not clear enough at lower magnification. I replaced with with a used S&B 6x42 and have been delighted at the improvement.

Edited by Wb123

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:48, Houseplant said:

Following on from my other thread. I set up 24mm targets on paper at 50 metres. My scope is decent quality, but with maximum magnification at X9, the targets were bloody tiny! I'm rabbit shooting to 50 metres at the moment, but would like to push that out further as my marksmanship improves. Thinking about a higher magnification scope. What are you using?

Magnification, as recticles as women as cars etc etc is PERSONAL!

I use 6x on all my scopes out to 200 yards, sometimes more, if I crank things up to 8x I can shoot in the next county.

I struggle to see the need for 9x on a .22lr in the field, but if you feel you need more that's your choice! :good:

3 hours ago, Wb123 said:

6x for me.

At 6x my S&B is clearer than my old scope was wound up to 12x. Lower magnification in a quality scope does seem to give me at least a better result than less good quality glass at higher magnifciation (up to a point, in really bright light things would probably be less different).

I had one of those and gave it away a few weeks back to a chap on here (a sweet 22).

I thought the quality of the image was terrible and could not get on with it. In really bright light it was ok but under the lamp or on dull days it was no use at higher magnifications and not clear enough at lower magnification. I replaced with with a used S&B 6x42 and have been delighted at the improvement.

hello, thanks for that reply

19 minutes ago, PPP said:

Clearly there is something wrong with me... rabbits at 100M (head shot as using HMR) so 25mm target and I use 16x

Nothing wrong with that, more mag the better as far as Im concerned, its all a matter of preference.