Testing a radio control receiver?

sandspider

Hi all

Bit of a random question, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on PW!

I have an ancient radio controlled sailing yacht which I'd like to bring back to life. However, it's not working. The handset works, but the servos in the yacht don't respond. I've tested with a multimeter, and power seems to be getting from the battery pack to the receiver. (An ancient 2 channel Futaba 27MHZ AM unit). As nothing seems to work downstream of the receiver, I'm guessing the receiver's at fault - but is there a way to test before I buy a new one? If it makes a difference, one of the servos in the boat can be turned by hand, the other one seems to be stuck. But neither respond to radio control so I still suspect the receiver is a problem before I look at the stuck servo! I can't easily get the servos out of the boat, but I can get the receiver out.

Any thoughts? I'd like to get it going with minimal expense!

Thanks.

Servos should be able to move when powered off, you can test for notches in the gearing that way. If it’s not moving at all when power is off then I expect a seized servo (unless it’s a sail winch servo which needs RC and power to move it.. 27mhz is very old now and relies on Chrystal technology. I would recommend upgrading to a cheap 4 channel system, look at hobbyking for options and look at 2.4ghz which doesn’t need Chrystal and is much better for interference. Once you have a reliable connection then test the servos.

i used to race 1m yachts, plus years of experience with model aircraft.

Steve

Thanks Stevo, that's helpful. Just a receiver for 2.4GHZ would be cheap, but I'm trying to replace as little stuff as possible, it's not worth spending much. (Also I don't have time to wait for things to be posted from Hong Kong!) I will get a secondhand 27MHZ receiver from ebay, and see if I can dismantle and loosen up the stuck servo.

Come to think of it, I have a second old 27MHZ receiver in a nitro car somewhere, wonder what sort of state that's in...

Thanks gents.

Yes, the correct crystals are in! I also tried the transmitter and receiver from another model I have, and various combinations of transmitter, receiver, crystals etc. None of them made the servos show any sign of life. So it seems I have a bigger problem. Ho hum. Maybe a trip to WSM is in order, or I may have to abandon the project. Shame

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Thanks Stevo, that's helpful. Just a receiver for 2.4GHZ would be cheap, but I'm trying to replace as little stuff as possible, it's not worth spending much. (Also I don't have time to wait for things to be posted from Hong Kong!) I will get a secondhand 27MHZ receiver from ebay, and see if I can dismantle and loosen up the stuck servo.

Come to think of it, I have a second old 27MHZ receiver in a nitro car somewhere, wonder what sort of state that's in...

They have a uk warehouse and ship from it!