Gamekeeping Acomidation

Hiya everyone, 

I’ve always wanted to become a gamekeeper, I’m in love with the countryside and country sports. I’m thinking of becoming a grouse keeper in the future and have a course waiting for me and Newton Rigg this year in September. My questions are:

whats the difference between and under keeper and a Gamekeeper?

will I have my own cottage or house when I start work or is it shared? 

Thanks,

Nathan

It all depends on what the shoot offers you for accommodation. I beat on a big shoot down this way and all 3 keepers have houses that is including the new lad fresh out of college. Other shoots you might share with another junior keeper or even be put up in a static caravan. 

Your questions will all be answered by the college. It had a fantastic game department when I was up there albeit quite a few years ago now. The thing that stood out for me was that there were 2 types of student on the gamekeeping course. 1- those that liked shooting, they often did  make it into the industry. 2 - those that wanted to be and loved gamekeeping, these chaps went on gain good jobs on some prestigious shoots. If it is anything like it was when I was there I am sure you will have a fantastic time and make lifelong friendships.

Will be different on many estates, some of the larger 1's u might just get a static caravan or shared house between a few young keepers.

Generally when u go to a better estate/more exprience u willl get  house/ kenells 4x4/quad etc provided for by the estate..

As for titles u migh start of as a 'YT boy' in my days, then underkeeper and just do wot ur told, then work up to a beat keeper where u will run ur own 'beat' and generally be responsible for how it performs, then after that a head keeper who is in charge of whole shoot and all beat keepers as well as under keepers etc.

But u also get single handed keepers, ie a shoot whith only  keeper.

Dunno where ur based or age/if u can drive, but if ur really keen on becoming a grouse keeper might be worth trying to get some beating done this august.

If ur not near grouse moors there's a few scottish 1's take on 'bothy' beaters and put u up in digs and feed u and u beat on the estate and its neighbours.

be good exprience for u if never been n a grouse shoot before,

As clod hopper says keeperig is often not wot many people think

From my experience most keepers get a cottage on the estate, some I have seen are very nice and would cost a lot to rent if they did not come as part of the job. At the other end of the scale I read of some keepers only having a static caravan. Worse i have seen myself was a small touring caravan for a trainee, it was in a barn so at least sheltered from the weather.

Thanks to everyone for the reply’s, this helped allot. As for me Gamekeeping is my dream job. A labour of love I reckon. I’m currently doing some little bits here and there on a little pheasant shoot I know, setting up Larsen traps. I’m 17 and learning to drive. I live in Alnwick in the North East. Thanks again for all the help here 

• 2 weeks later...