Bathroom/toilet fans

keg

Evening everyone, i want to replace a very loud fan in a toilet. If someone uses the loo in the night, the fan wakes the house up! The fan is from the early 1970s i think? Is the ducting the same size no as it was then?

Just checking that  a new fan would go straight in.

Thanks in advance.

Likely to be 4" or 6" (100mm or 150mm) so should be ok.

You don't say where the fan is mounted but ideally for maximum "efficiency" (so the smell does not get back in ) the fan needs to be as near the discharge as possible, ie inline or in the discharge , whichever is most practical.  This will may reduce noise.

Envirovent SIL100 silent bathroom fan, i have them fitted throughout the house. Check out the you tube videos of how much air they can pump compared to others, no point in having a quiet fan if it don't extract the air.

link to video 

On 5/2/2018 at 20:05, PPP said:

I read that title wrong, thought this was a bathroom and toilet appreciation thread..

I could build a wee shrine?  Pun intended:lol::lol:

6 hours ago, grrclark said:

Me too, thought Keg was coming out with his love of cottaging ?

When did i tell you that? :lol::lol: truth is out now.

Thanks  for your advice everyone, LG good advice. The old unit looks like a ceiling but will double check.

On 03/05/2018 at 06:39, figgy said:

Envirovent SIL100 silent bathroom fan, i have them fitted throughout the house. Check out the you tube videos of how much air they can pump compared to others, no point in having a quiet fan if it don't extract the air.

link to video 

That video is incredible... I simply can’t believe the power through a 100m duct!

I had A silent vent axia fans in a ceiling... condensation in pipe —> ran down to fan —> bang!  OK, the builder probably should have used insulated duct or put in condensation trap, but would have expected a bathroom fan would deal with some condensation.

Now have S&P TD silent inline fans.  They need mounting in roof space so were more work to fit but their extract rate is much higher and you can’t hear then fan in the bathroom. 

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

All fans should have a vent pipe with a fall just like a wast pipe.

Hi Figgy,

How do you do this with a ceiling mounted? How high should the vent pipe be/not be before the bend for the outlet, if outlet is in soffit?

Edit: for condensation/moisture

Thanks

Edited by silver pigeon69

You use a 110mm soil and vent with either a normal radius or tight radius bend direct off the top of your ceiling fan with a short bit of pipe for as much height as you need or can get, you then set the fall to the outside of the house running between the floor joists as you get into the void where the faicia and soffit is you can attach flexible duct that  can hang out of the hole in the soffit board. The flexy can attach to the vent grill and get screwed back up to he soffit board. 

Hope this explains it. 

Lots of people think 110 mm pipe is only for waste pipes but its used for vents and ducts a lot.

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

You use a 110mm soil and vent with either a normal radius or tight radius bend direct off the top of your ceiling fan with a short bit of pipe for as much height as you need or can get, you then set the fall to the outside of the house running between the floor joists as you get into the void where the faicia and soffit is you can attach flexible duct that  can hang out of the hole in the soffit board. The flexy can attach to the vent grill and get screwed back up to he soffit board. 

Hope this explains it. 

Lots of people think 110 mm pipe is only for waste pipes but its used for vents and ducts a lot.

Thanks for that. If the vent goes into the loft, is there a max height it should go before the bend? i would imagine if the soil/vent pipe is too high the moisture will condense in the pipe and run/drip back down into the fan? should the pipe be lagged?

The best way if its in your loft is start at the soffit and work back to the fan gaining height using a spirit level, i and a lot of others work to bubble touching the line for the fall ,when you get the fall you need to cut a piece of pipe to length for connecting onto the fan make sure you support the pipe at regular spacings as it will sag in the summer heat and stay that way if you dont. Bits of wood screwed to the joists with a pipe clip screwed down will be perfect.. If the pipe is a bit big over the spiggot of the fan you can buy sticky back foam strip like draught excluder to fill the gap then slide either the pipe over the fitted fan or the fan into the vent pipe.  you can put some loft insulation round the pipe up to where the top of the bend meets the falling pipe, this will help stop condensation in the pipe up off the fan in colder weather.

34 minutes ago, figgy said:

The best way if its in your loft is start at the soffit and work back to the fan gaining height using a spirit level, i and a lot of others work to bubble touching the line for the fall ,when you get the fall you need to cut a piece of pipe to length for connecting onto the fan make sure you support the pipe at regular spacings as it will sag in the summer heat and stay that way if you dont. Bits of wood screwed to the joists with a pipe clip screwed down will be perfect.. If the pipe is a bit big over the spiggot of the fan you can buy sticky back foam strip like draught excluder to fill the gap then slide either the pipe over the fitted fan or the fan into the vent pipe.  you can put some loft insulation round the pipe up to where the top of the bend meets the falling pipe, this will help stop condensation in the pipe up off the fan in colder weather.