Working Away

The Mighty Prawn

As some of you know I work in telly which meant during the formative years of my career I worked away a lot, generally once you get to a certain level you can end up based somewhere permanently and for me that was conveniently 10 miles from my house. I'm currently on attachment so am working away again for 8 weeks and only 3 days in I'm climbing the walls of my hotel! I have nothing against Cardiff where I currently am but in the two nights I've had so far I have walked the entire Bay Area and still have 7 weeks and five days to go.

how do the rest of the away workers fill their time in the evenings without resorting to the booze?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

As some of you know I work in telly which meant during the formative years of my career I worked away a lot, generally once you get to a certain level you can end up based somewhere permanently and for me that was conveniently 10 miles from my house. I'm currently on attachment so am working away again for 8 weeks and only 3 days in I'm climbing the walls of my hotel! I have nothing against Cardiff where I currently am but in the two nights I've had so far I have walked the entire Bay Area and still have 7 weeks and five days to go.

how do the rest of the away workers fill their time in the evenings without resorting to the booze?

Catch up on sleep, recharge batteries , so I can get out at 5.00am in the woods at the weekend.

I would love to go fishing but suspect the hotel would not be impressed with my stinky tackle (of the fishing kind)

ive so far spent just one evening in the pub, which is also 50% of the time if you're a glass half empty sort

im trying to motivate myself to finish a script I've been kicking around for years so at least making use of the thumb twiddling hours

2 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

I hated working away. Good shout from Lori, get some fishing in!! What do you do in telly?

With my tin hat firmly strapped on, I work in production for the BBC mostly scripted stuff so comedy and drama but I have also plumbed the murky depths of makeover and sell your antiques type shows.

i didnt have a problem working away.............i worked hard all day went back to digs ...washed ...changed...ate....knackered out went to bed......then got up in the morning and did it all again..

Mind you...i didnt work for the BBC

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i didnt have a problem working away.............i worked hard all day went back to digs ...washed ...changed...ate....knackered out went to bed......then got up in the morning and did it all again..

Mind you...i didnt work for the BBC

Same thing, just got on with it.......

I work away 11 days at a time, I swim four nights a week after work and only go to the pub twice a week it’s nearly two miles round trip so a walk couple of drinks then walk back, a pleasant way to pass time. 

Look for a local clay club you can go shoot.

on a weekend I finish at 1.30 so do all the tourist  stuff and visit places. 

When I started out in my job in the 90s we would be offshore in the Middle East for 90 days + at a time, so I do feel your pain, we spent our time either running around the heli deck or in the gym or sleeping?, once in awhile the barge might be towed back to Abu Dhabi for a re-mob and then we would have a run ashore?, this was all before WIFI and any laptop/tablets had come into being!!. 

Best of luck with the next 7 weeks and 4 days....??

Give Steve B a shout, I am sure he would like to meet up for a drink/meal one night

There is quite a lot to do around Cardiff especially if you are a Gavin and Stacey / Dr Who / Tom Jones Fan there are all sorts of locations to visit with your sat nav. I can send you details?  Its an excuse for a drive out to kill an hour.

They actually do Dr Who and Gavin and Stacey tours (can you believe) but all you need is a sat nav.

Dr Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane were filmed between 2006-2013 from an industrial warehouse  at Upper Boat Treforest CF37 5UA where all the sets were housed. When it closed they moved a lot of the sets to a museum on the harbour but the lease on the building ran out last year. Its a shame because the place became a bit of a magnet for people who liked dressing up etc. Tom Jones was born at 57 Kingsland Terrace Treforest close by.   

Fishing is good as said before, a telescopic sea rod off ebay, over the harbour wall kills hours, you won't catch much but that's not the purpose of the exercise.

Swimming is another good way of killing a couple of hours without spending a fortune or pickling your liver.

Merthyr Car Auctions is very entertaining as a spectator sport, and its a free night out. If you have never seen anything like that before its an eye opener. 

Several good free museums. Football, not being the national sport, its easier to get tickets for an evening match than in most big cities.

The Big Pit Museum is very good if you have a free day.

Edited by Vince Green

36 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Your lucky you are there this time of year I should imagine Cardiff is a depressing place during the winter months.

Actually as a Londoner, I find Cardiff to be far from depressing, and its a lot better than most cities