Working Away

The Mighty Prawn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

I would have suggested hookers, but then I imagine they are a bit rough in Cardiff.....

So are they any better in Jersey....?:hmm:

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Have you considered reading a book or two? 

Lot depends on what you’re working away for if it’s the money read a book or do anything free 

I’m working away in Edinburgh nice city but would not be here if it was not for the money.

Spent the last 17 years of my career basically working away, different City each night ( boy, does working out which side of bed to get out of during the night to pee can be difficult and has resulted in me walking into walls before)

For me I have settled into such a routine  of walking, swimming and reading books that of hardly notice it anymore— still can’t beat your own bed though

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Dr Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane were filmed between 2006-2013 from an industrial warehouse  at Upper Boat Treforest CF37 5UA where all the sets were housed. When it closed they moved a lot of the sets to a museum on the harbour but the lease on the building ran out last year. Its a shame because the place became a bit of a magnet for people who liked dressing up etc. Tom Jones was born at 57 Kingsland Terrace Treforest close by.  

I'm actually based now at the studios where they make dr who which is the first time I've nerded out for a while when I saw them rolling daleks into the studio this morning! They are not falling for my reasons to wander round their studio malarkey though so that might be all I see.

met a bloke in the bay yesterday coming back with some fish in a boat who said he will take me out next week when the tide is right? I don't understand the sea, I'm from the midlands! That should be fun.

Think of all the random things that came up in conversation at work. Spend the night reading about said obscure things. This usually leads on to some sort of wiki/youtube rabbit hole adventure. Eye worms was the last obscure thing of note.

Pub quizzes. Books, Tv series on netflix etc,

When I work away I have always found by the time you've got in, showered and changed, meet up with everyone and gone for a bite to eat it is usually 8-9 pm. That usually only leaves a couple of hours before time to hit the hay ready for the next day. Try as I might I always end up having a couple of beers though. I guess it all depends on who you are working with. A good group and hours can be whiled away easily just chatting.

13 hours ago, Seadog1408 said:

CCC boy?

went the crazies route myself..........halcyon days.....not.

???Seadog,

I did both 3C's 648 and 750 mostly then filled in with Crazies 22 24 and the rinfan (spelling not sure) 97 through to 04 when bit the built and got my gas ticket.?. As for Halcyon  days.. I'd have said character building..?

Lived in Cardiff for 5 years, the River Taff can offer some good coarse fishing, for Chubb and Barbel, there are some salmon and sea trout that run the river. However the trout & grayling fishing can be very good. I would head upstream to Radyr Weir.

If you like Cricket Glamorgan play at Sophia Gardens.

Cheers

Aled

4 hours ago, Dunkield said:

If you are from the Midlands and working in Cardiff you will be going home at weekends no?

I worked in Tripoli for 3 months at a time, so I am struggling to see Cardiff as a hardship (apart from the weather) 

I made it home this weekend as the bank holiday means no Monday work but from next week it's 6 days a week so will be here full time

i wouldn't say it's a hardship, just boring in the evenings with not much to do - I have got better plans now though as I've found two people taking me fishing which promises to be a perfect way to spend the evenings

Cardiff is luxury. Spent 9years working away in Hastings with the occasional stays in Bradford and Paisley.

Got Hastings sussed eventually. Found a stunning privately owned country  hotel in Battle with its own lake. As it made its money at weekends for functions and weddings negotiated a silly rate for a long term stay during the week. Usually only me staying there.

Eventually treated as one of the family ran the bar, was in the hotels quiz team traveling to different pubs. Meals out etc. Home from home

Never got scotland or Bradford sorted though.