Working Away

The Mighty Prawn

11 hours ago, Aled said:

Lived in Cardiff for 5 years, the River Taff can offer some good coarse fishing, for Chubb and Barbel, there are some salmon and sea trout that run the river. However the trout & grayling fishing can be very good. I would head upstream to Radyr Weir.

If you like Cricket Glamorgan play at Sophia Gardens.

Cheers

Aled

You know what? that is such an inspiring post because 50 years ago the Taff and the Cynon were dead, black and sulphurous from all the run off from the coal tips and the coke furnaces. Life returns and the land regenerates itself. In itself a little miracle considering what went into it

There was a documentary where tom Jones returns to his boyhood home in the Valleys and he is seen leaning over a bridge, presumably its at Treforest looking down at the river Taff and he says "when I was a boy that river was black"

Now there are Chubb and Barbel, salmon sea trout and grayling. That's fantastic

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get yourself into the city centre, down the bottom by the rail station is a nice bar called Porters, worth a visit, has a free mini cinema along side.

Some cracking bars as you move up town and an open ALL night steak only restaurant about a quarter the way down ‘chippy ally’.

Look for events on in the stadium, it really is a shame you’ve missed the Rugby, it is a fantastic experience!

http://www.principalitystadium.wales/events/index.php#.Wuz5WyvTWEc

Spent lots of time away all round the world in my formative years. As has been stated before work hard and rest , mental fatigue I found going for long walks after evening meal , gave you time to mull things over. The worst is to go in the bar as you get pestered by all the salesmen trying for leads. The places I liked to walk were docks , parks etc but you do get pestered by " Ladies or the Night"" in whatever country your in.

I find the weekends the worst. Today I had a late breakfast/early lunch then took a slow walk over to the Imperial Palace and walked around the grounds. Was back in apartment at 4pm. FaceTimed the family and now trying to while away the rest of the evening. 

I did this a lot whilst in one job in tha army best part of 2 year 4 nights a week away in hotels or transit messes.  

Cardiff simple go home each night ?

most others.  Finish work Gym or run, clean up, dinner, sit down write reports or read a good book or any prep I needed to do for next day/week. 

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:05, Vince Green said:

You know what? that is such an inspiring post because 50 years ago the Taff and the Cynon were dead, black and sulphurous from all the run off from the coal tips and the coke furnaces. Life returns and the land regenerates itself. In itself a little miracle considering what went into it

There was a documentary where tom Jones returns to his boyhood home in the Valleys and he is seen leaning over a bridge, presumably its at Treforest looking down at the river Taff and he says "when I was a boy that river was black"

Now there are Chubb and Barbel, salmon sea trout and grayling. That's fantastic

Yep your right Vince, and its good fishing as well, some really good sized fish, season tickets are very cheap as well, Glamorgan anglers look after the fishing. I also used to see more rabbits in Cardiff than I saw in West Wales!!!

Tight Lines

Aled

On 5/2/2018 at 22:45, The Mighty Prawn said:

I'm climbing the walls

Well, it might be worse. You could be in Saudi where summer is just kicking in and the thermometer  climbed  to over 45 today and the month long Ramadan fast due to start next week. To be honest, a hotel in Cardiff sounds bloody marvellous!

Sorry, but some of you guys really do not know how well off you are these days with FaceTime, WhatsApp, & Skype etc.

I spent a lot of time in West Africa in the late 70's and 80's and (as an example) had to send my driver from Warri to Benin on a Saturday (2 hours on a good day) to prepay for 10 minutes International line on the Sunday so I could talk to my wife.

On the Sunday I would then travel to Benin Post Office, wait about an hour for a 5 minute call on a very poor line just to let my wife & kids know that I was still alive.

Later I used to "commute" to Madrid on a weekly basis (in Sunday night, out Friday PM) for almost a year then, more recently, "commuted" to Florida being home 10 days in 4 weeks.

I know...when the war was on etc...but Cardiff to Bromsgrove? What's that 90 miles / 2 hours? What's wrong with down on the Sunday night, home Tuesday night. Down Wednesday morning, home Friday night?

10 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Sorry, but some of you guys really do not know how well off you are these days with FaceTime, WhatsApp, & Skype etc.

I spent a lot of time in West Africa in the late 70's and 80's and (as an example) had to send my driver from Warri to Benin on a Saturday (2 hours on a good day) to prepay for 10 minutes International line on the Sunday so I could talk to my wife.

On the Sunday I would then travel to Benin Post Office, wait about an hour for a 5 minute call on a very poor line just to let my wife & kids know that I was still alive.

Later I used to "commute" to Madrid on a weekly basis (in Sunday night, out Friday PM) for almost a year then, more recently, "commuted" to Florida being home 10 days in 4 weeks.

I know...when the war was on etc...but Cardiff to Bromsgrove? What's that 90 miles / 2 hours? What's wrong with down on the Sunday night, home Tuesday night. Down Wednesday morning, home Friday night?

Yes you are right. FaceTime does make it a lot easier. Even the dog recognises me on it. 

On 02/05/2018 at 21:12, The Mighty Prawn said:

I would love to go fishing but suspect the hotel would not be impressed with my stinky tackle (of the fishing kind)

ive so far spent just one evening in the pub, which is also 50% of the time if you're a glass half empty sort

im trying to motivate myself to finish a script I've been kicking around for years so at least making use of the thumb twiddling hours

Telescopic rod will fit in a case. Away you go. Catch and release or give away to other anglers?

I've embraced much that has been suggested here so thanks all

i know Cardiff to Bromsgrove isn't far but I work from 0700 to 2000 so getting home for about ten and leaving at five just isn't worth it but I appreciate many have it worse - first world problems from me I'm afraid but it doesn't diminish missing the family and my own bed

I also work away, I’m in the construction industry, I done hotels & b&b’s for a whilst but like you it was driving me insane, I’m now in a flat through Airbnb, do yoga twice a week and generally work late other nights, bit of cooking, the days and nights flyby, ??