177 recommendation

stut4

morning all, 

after a bit of advice. i sold my Stoeger Atac S2 177 at the end of last year as i didn't think i'd need it. I downgraded to a Gamo Cadet for my son to use for target practise. i've now got a return of my pigeon and rat problem so need to get another higher power gun.

max budget is £150.

prefer a full power gun.

would like gas ram but would consider a springer. will avoid CO2 as it will be rarely used, and PCP is too expensive. my Atac was a gas ram with inbuilt supressor and it was quieter than my 30 year old 177 Diana gun.

also prefer an Underlever as i've read they are more accurate.

i've currently lined up the Stoeger F40 and a SMK XS38 both around the £150 mark with scopes included.

main goal is to take out pigeons and rats from c.30' cleanly. prefer to keep the 177 calibre as may also use it for target shooting when we get rid of the Cadet.

2nd hand seems to be rare for a decent gun at this price. 

can anyone give feedback on the above guns, or recommend another?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I do think you are struggling at £150.  If you don't mind the weight, then I am a very big fan of the TX200 in 177 which I have abd knocks ferals off shed roofs out to 25yrds no problem.

Scary accurate once you have found a pellet it likes.

yep, struggling big time. didn't think they were so expensive. hard to justify spending more when the wife keeps the purse strings tight.... i was hoping i'd find some low prices second hand, but haven't found anything decent.

if my neighbours were a bit further away i'd just invest in a silenced shotgun, but they are a bit too close for that.

i'll have a look at the TX200.

You do see some cheaper stuff on free adds but it doesn't mean they will be that close to you.

Have you tried your local gunshop, they may have a few guns gathering dust taking up space, but if your wanting a gun and scope for that price i don't think your going to have too much choice.

what about wabbit bosher?

Just now, Mice! said:

just had a look on free adds, few guns on near you but they may have already gone? Worth a look and a few phone calls 

thanks for the reply. i've just been looking at within 50 miles of swindon, so might need to stretch my legs further afield then. thanks for the tip.

7 hours ago, stut4 said:

morning all, 

after a bit of advice. i sold my Stoeger Atac S2 177 at the end of last year as i didn't think i'd need it. I downgraded to a Gamo Cadet for my son to use for target practise. i've now got a return of my pigeon and rat problem so need to get another higher power gun.

max budget is £150.

prefer a full power gun.

would like gas ram but would consider a springer. will avoid CO2 as it will be rarely used, and PCP is too expensive. my Atac was a gas ram with inbuilt supressor and it was quieter than my 30 year old 177 Diana gun.

also prefer an Underlever as i've read they are more accurate.

i've currently lined up the Stoeger F40 and a SMK XS38 both around the £150 mark with scopes included.

main goal is to take out pigeons and rats from c.30' cleanly. prefer to keep the 177 calibre as may also use it for target shooting when we get rid of the Cadet.

2nd hand seems to be rare for a decent gun at this price. 

can anyone give feedback on the above guns, or recommend another?

hello, i have a .22 springer for sale, i had a silencer made for it at £30 cost £150 in total,  but could do with a tune kit. have 2 basic scopes one called a gold crown by nikko sterling, a collectors scope, shot about 100 pellets just not used, only a few months old and have box, £120  or £100 without scope plus a box of pellets about 400,   Abingdon based

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a .22 springer for sale, i had a silencer made for it but could do with a tune kit. have some basic scopes to and one decent 3x9x50,    

we meet again. hope your fishing went well. :)

imight be interested in this. could you let me know some further details? make model, and ideally how much you're looking for? 

thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

there were a few came up saying Swindon but i don't know the area, i haven't bought off free adds but from what I've been told its generally ok but unless your going to see the rifle be careful 

i'll have a closer look after work. there were a few 22's which came up. i was initially thinking 177, but may consider a 22 if it was right.

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

will PM YOU

thank you.

Best advice i can give you is try to shoot any gun your likley to buy .

Its possible to buy a horribe inaccurate £400 tx 200 and also possible to buy a £100 cheap smk Springer thats sweet as a nut and accurate to boot .

So if your looking at free adds. Try shoot it in there garden first .and as long as it makes 10 fpe  then it will do what you want hunting wise .

gents, sorry for the lack of reply. few other issues at home with car which took my mind away from this.  i'll have a good read through. noted the comments about the cheaper rifles. some of the stoeger reviews are good, whilst others not so good. my last Atac was good until the Stoeger scope wouldn't zero in well. 

i'm more drawn to a 177 rifle as will use it for targets as well as vermin. we've been to a local air rifle club a couple of times and would be good to use the same rifle if we get used to it. but then again, i'd need to remove the scope for the 7 yard range they use - so might be easier to get a 22 for vermin, then get another 177 if we do target shooting - but then again, adding a 3rd gun cabinet for an extra gun might not go down too well with Mrs StuT4....

Has anyone tried the SMK PR900W? Its a bit more than my £150 budget, but can get a 177 new for £215 inc valve, and will then get a cheap stirrup pump. like the idea of multishot compared to a single shot spring/gas ram as might be able to get more than 1 bird/rat at once.

A Hatsan 55s is a reasonably good gun for the money ! Not quite on a par with German or English guns , but two lads at our airgun group 

have them , and having shot one at a 'splash ' target at 25mtrs , i can say the trigger was good , and it grouped well.

I was quiet impressed .

On 5/10/2018 at 09:39, stut4 said:

gents, sorry for the lack of reply. few other issues at home with car which took my mind away from this.  i'll have a good read through. noted the comments about the cheaper rifles. some of the stoeger reviews are good, whilst others not so good. my last Atac was good until the Stoeger scope wouldn't zero in well. 

i'm more drawn to a 177 rifle as will use it for targets as well as vermin. we've been to a local air rifle club a couple of times and would be good to use the same rifle if we get used to it. but then again, i'd need to remove the scope for the 7 yard range they use - so might be easier to get a 22 for vermin, then get another 177 if we do target shooting - but then again, adding a 3rd gun cabinet for an extra gun might not go down too well with Mrs StuT4....

Has anyone tried the SMK PR900W? Its a bit more than my £150 budget, but can get a 177 new for £215 inc valve, and will then get a cheap stirrup pump. like the idea of multishot compared to a single shot spring/gas ram as might be able to get more than 1 bird/rat at once.

hello, i am looking at the PR900 myself as i am not shooting so much these day and when i do it is only a few shots so my FX pcp can be left at home, and many i hear on the air rifle forums are buying this pump off ebay, 282449414185 with good feed back, about £40, i might ask tony to get one in for me to look at, thinking 177, there been some good reviews on the 900 with just a few people having to make small adjustments but most using straight out of the box, if your going to use for hunting you can replace the mod come barrel weight for a decent silencer 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper