177 recommendation

stut4

There,s a fellow called Nathan <Underdog> over on H/L forum has great success with his and if you shop around you can get the PR900 for  £180/ across at Ray Buys and Sells Wednesbury west midlands .There on the internet and stock all the SMK air rifles  atb

Edited by clakk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thank you for the tips. i've been watching to see if any second hand ones come up. Bristol Airguns have them at £200 plus the £15 adapator, but then theres the hassle of collecting or paying an RFD to accept delivery. might need to find out what the local dealers can get them for. 

thats reassuring to know that a stirrup pump might work. most of the time i will only use a few shots a week so the occassion work out with one of those will be preferable to a £100+ air tank. might have the odd trip to the range when i might need to refill mid session but that won't worry me - i've got a 12 year old who can take over!

1 hour ago, stut4 said:

thank you for the tips. i've been watching to see if any second hand ones come up. Bristol Airguns have them at £200 plus the £15 adapator, but then theres the hassle of collecting or paying an RFD to accept delivery. might need to find out what the local dealers can get them for. 

thats reassuring to know that a stirrup pump might work. most of the time i will only use a few shots a week so the occassion work out with one of those will be preferable to a £100+ air tank. might have the odd trip to the range when i might need to refill mid session but that won't worry me - i've got a 12 year old who can take over!

hello, give tony a call on 01793 497455 rod and guns st johns road old town,  their price is £199, you can buy an adapter for less than a tenner from uttings off ebay . 2/3 days from SMK if in stock. £155 for rifle/pump/and adapter, then ask spandit on PW to make you a silencer,  being local can save time and money,  PELLETS ? many use these, JSB EXACT HEAVY. cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, give tony a call on 01793 497455 rod and guns st johns road old town,  their price is £199, you can buy an adapter for less than a tenner from uttings off ebay . 2/3 days from SMK if in stock. £155 for rifle/pump/and adapter, then ask spandit on PW to make you a silencer,  being local can save time and money,  PELLETS ? many use these, JSB EXACT HEAVY. cheers

thanks for doing my homework :)

i'll get this sorted over the next few days. 

On 15/05/2018 at 16:06, stut4 said:

thanks for doing my homework

i'll get this sorted over the next few days. 

just waiting for Rod and Gun to come back to me with a price. :)

they said they should be able to take my junior gamo in part exchange and i've been on ebay flogging other stuff left right and centre to get the funds to buy a PR900W. hopefully my 2 lads will manage with the PR900W. think i'll also get a cheap stirrup pump from the bay.the silencer will be at the bottom of the list , as i might need to get a replacement scope first. since i sold my Stoeger, i bought a cheap scope - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinty-Mil-Dot-Illuminated-Optical-Telescopic/dp/B01MU3EZG3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1526566688&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=rifle+scope+3-9x40 its goo magnification but have not had the gun which is accurate enough to trial it fully. the springer i have isn't that great. if no good, i'll get a nikko one from uttings.:)

15 minutes ago, stut4 said:

just waiting for Rod and Gun to come back to me with a price.

they said they should be able to take my junior gamo in part exchange and i've been on ebay flogging other stuff left right and centre to get the funds to buy a PR900W. hopefully my 2 lads will manage with the PR900W. think i'll also get a cheap stirrup pump from the bay.the silencer will be at the bottom of the list , as i might need to get a replacement scope first. since i sold my Stoeger, i bought a cheap scope - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinty-Mil-Dot-Illuminated-Optical-Telescopic/dp/B01MU3EZG3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1526566688&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=rifle+scope+3-9x40 its goo magnification but have not had the gun which is accurate enough to trial it fully. the springer i have isn't that great. if no good, i'll get a nikko one from uttings.

hello, i always find tony and staff ok much better than some RFDs i have been in and purchased from,   you do need a scope that is shockproof  for a springer, unless it shoots smooth or tuned with a top hat and bits, what scope will you get for the PR900 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you do need a scope that is shockproof  for a springer, unless it shoots smooth or tuned with a top hat and bits, 

thank you for the tip! thats why it was useless on the junior springer i have then. i'll see what its like on the pcp and take it from there. 95% of my shooting will be from 10-20 yards, so i think a 4-5x magnification should be okay. my naked eye is a bit weak at that distance when aiming for a head shot

3 minutes ago, stut4 said:

thank you for the tip! thats why it was useless on the junior springer i have then. i'll see what its like on the pcp and take it from there. 95% of my shooting will be from 10-20 yards, so i think a 4-5x magnification should be okay. my naked eye is a bit weak at that distance when aiming for a head shot

hello, i have some spare scopes 

i've placed an order with my local dealer in Baydon. SMK are out of the .177's for a few weeks, so just have to sit tight now for a few weeks. in the meantime i've ordered the filling adaptor and will get the stirrup pump ordered this weekend. 

9 minutes ago, stut4 said:

i've placed an order with my local dealer in Baydon. SMK are out of the .177's for a few weeks, so just have to sit tight now for a few weeks. in the meantime i've ordered the filling adaptor and will get the stirrup pump ordered this weekend. 

hello, is that Bozard and Co ?  did you not find tony ok ? what rifle did you order ? 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is that Bozard and Co ?  did you not find tony ok ?

hi, i phoned WRG twice - friday and yesterday asking for price and delivery time. gave my details twice and the chap who took the details never got back to me. ?

then contacted Phil at Bozard and Co who got back to me within a few hours and just confirmed hes placed an order waiting for delivery.

1 minute ago, stut4 said:

hi, i phoned WRG twice - friday and yesterday asking for price and delivery time. gave my details twice and the chap who took the details never got back to me. ?

then contacted Phil at Bozard and Co who got back to me within a few hours and just confirmed hes placed an order waiting for delivery.

hello, oh thats not usual for WRG, good on Phil then, nice chap to deal with and excellent gun smith, good luck with new rifle,

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2018 at 12:17, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, oh thats not usual for WRG, good on Phil then, nice chap to deal with and excellent gun smith, good luck with new rifle,

SMK PR900W 177 picked up from Bozard's yesterday. there was a slight delay in delivery as SMK were awaiting a shipment of the 177's.  he said he was impressed with it for the price considering its 1/3 of the big name ones. i'm impressed with the quality. The stock is a bit smelly - either from the oil on the wood, or from manufacturing.

just need to get some time to dial the scope in, and will then arrange to make contact with the chap on here who does the 3D printed moderators - although its not particular noisy, as i'll be plinking in the garden just want to ensure its as quiet as possible.

i also purchased one of these stirrup pumps - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4500PSI-AIR-GUN-RIFLE-PUMP-FILLING-PUMP-STIRRUP-3-STAGE-CHARGER-PCP-AIRGUNS/142659137416?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 works fine to charge the rifle to max green pressure and £40 price was good. I bought an adaptor from JS Ramsbottom, but there was a quick release one in the box.

thanks for all the advice on this site.

Edited by stut4

2 minutes ago, DC177 said:

SMK.....?

each to their own. most of the reviews i read were very complimentary. why would i spend 2-3 x as much on a gun which might only had 5 shots a month for vermin and maybe 50 shots every few months for target practice?

8 hours ago, stut4 said:

SMK PR900W 177 picked up from Bozard's yesterday. there was a slight delay in delivery as SMK were awaiting a shipment of the 177's.  he said he was impressed with it for the price considering its 1/3 of the big name ones. i'm impressed with the quality. The stock is a bit smelly - either from the oil on the wood, or from manufacturing.

just need to get some time to dial the scope in, and will then arrange to make contact with the chap on here who does the 3D printed moderators - although its not particular noisy, as i'll be plinking in the garden just want to ensure its as quiet as possible.

i also purchased one of these stirrup pumps - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4500PSI-AIR-GUN-RIFLE-PUMP-FILLING-PUMP-STIRRUP-3-STAGE-CHARGER-PCP-AIRGUNS/142659137416?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 works fine to charge the rifle to max green pressure and £40 price was good. I bought an adaptor from JS Ramsbottom, but there was a quick release one in the box.

thanks for all the advice on this site.

hello, sounds good so let us know how goes, thinking of one myself with same pump, PS DONT FORGET TO CLEAN BARREL FIRST and be carefull on breech seal wooly mop and white spirit, cheers

4 hours ago, DC177 said:

...cos I’ve been there and in 6 months you’ll want to buy something better. It’s a false economy.

don't get me wrong - i'd like to be able to spend £400+ on a PCP, but that ain't going to happen - the wife tightly controls my shooting budget. if i could have found another brand pcp for £180 i'd have bought it. i needed something quieter in my garden than a shotguns for pest control; wanted a fixed barrel as i was convienced my last breakbarrel didn't align properly, didn't want CO2, as it might sit unused for 3 months, and the 9 shot magazine was a bonus. the under barrel guns i came across were at least the same price or more than this.

my search over the past couple of months indicates there are only a handful on Freeads secondhand, and they are being advertised at near new prices, so i'll probably lose less on this secondhand than i would spending £400 on a better brand and selling it when it didn't get used.

out the box its supposedly 10.5 lbft, which is fine for my needs.
i acknowledge it won't be up for competition use on a target range like a gun 3-5 times the price, but if it is used on a range it'll only be for a bit of fun.

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, sounds good so let us know how goes, thinking of one myself with same pump, PS DONT FORGET TO CLEAN BARREL FIRST and be carefull on breech seal wooly mop and white spirit, cheers

cheers. will do.

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am thinking of a PR900 in 177 as quite a few on UKAGF bought one and pleased with the rifle, £250 for a PCP and pump ?????

13 hours ago, stut4 said:

don't get me wrong - i'd like to be able to spend £400+ on a PCP, but that ain't going to happen - the wife tightly controls my shooting budget. if i could have found another brand pcp for £180 i'd have bought it. i needed something quieter in my garden than a shotguns for pest control; wanted a fixed barrel as i was convienced my last breakbarrel didn't align properly, didn't want CO2, as it might sit unused for 3 months, and the 9 shot magazine was a bonus. the under barrel guns i came across were at least the same price or more than this.

my search over the past couple of months indicates there are only a handful on Freeads secondhand, and they are being advertised at near new prices, so i'll probably lose less on this secondhand than i would spending £400 on a better brand and selling it when it didn't get used.

out the box its supposedly 10.5 lbft, which is fine for my needs.
i acknowledge it won't be up for competition use on a target range like a gun 3-5 times the price, but if it is used on a range it'll only be for a bit of fun.

cheers. will do.

hello, 10.5 ft llb is fine it might even go a bit more with use, oh a air rifle is only as good as the person shooting price is irrelevant

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am thinking of a PR900 in 177 as quite a few on UKAGF bought one and pleased with the rifle, £250 for a PCP and pump ?????

@oldypigeonpopper - thanks for your previous advice pump and suggestion to look at the gun.

the pump does the job okay. i was bidding on a few BSA/Walther brand ones on ebay, but they ended up at over £80, and as previously mentioned i'm on a budget, so happy that the £40 pump is working. Its got a 2 year warranty, so if it breaks, i'll try (if the chinese seller still exists) to get a repair/replacement - but ultimately it gets the gun to 20 bar.

i got the pump for £40 delivered, the adaptor with additional quick release for £15 (which i endedup not needing as there was one in the SMK box) and the gun was £179. Phil said he was going to order a couple of guns in to sit on his shelf, but they'll be a few quid more as his retail price had gone up a bit since he ordered mine.

the only mod im considering is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pr900w-Barrel-Band-And-Fill-Port-Dust-Cover/273232489283?hash=item3f9deceb43:g:l8YAAOSw1GlaY41H - but unless i get find one for c,£10 i won't immediately be doing it.

i'll report how it goes when i've had a good go with it.