177 recommendation

stut4

3 minutes ago, stut4 said:

@oldypigeonpopper - thanks for your previous advice pump and suggestion to look at the gun.

the pump does the job okay. i was bidding on a few BSA/Walther brand ones on ebay, but they ended up at over £80, and as previously mentioned i'm on a budget, so happy that the £40 pump is working. Its got a 2 year warranty, so if it breaks, i'll try (if the chinese seller still exists) to get a repair/replacement - but ultimately it gets the gun to 20 bar.

i got the pump for £40 delivered, the adaptor with additional quick release for £15 (which i endedup not needing as there was one in the SMK box) and the gun was £179. Phil said he was going to order a couple of guns in to sit on his shelf, but they'll be a few quid more as his retail price had gone up a bit since he ordered mine.

the only mod im considering is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pr900w-Barrel-Band-And-Fill-Port-Dust-Cover/273232489283?hash=item3f9deceb43:g:l8YAAOSw1GlaY41H - but unless i get find one for c,£10 i won't immediately be doing it.

i'll report how it goes when i've had a good go with it.

hello, well done, i would email the seller on the band and dust cover and see if they will sell just dust cap or find a plastic cap ? ask phil the size thread,  a 2 year warranty even better, ok look forward to your report back, happy shooting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/05/2018 at 08:58, oldypigeonpopper said:

and many i hear on the air rifle forums are buying this pump off ebay, 282449414185 with good feed back, about £40, i might ask tony to get one in for me to look at

just a recap I also bought a similar pump and its great. Well worth the money. Plenty of spares and literally 2 mins to put together. Very easy to use until the last 5 pumps but I just use my body weight. For the money it's a steal. 

Screenshot_2018-06-15-11-22-22.png

Screenshot_2018-06-15-11-22-18.png

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 10.5 ft llb is fine it might even go a bit more with use, oh a air rifle is only as good as the person shooting price is irrelevant

10.5 lbs is the sweet spot for springers. Maybe SMK have learned their lesson. 

On 15/06/2018 at 09:28, stut4 said:

@oldypigeonpopper - thanks for your previous advice pump and suggestion to look at the gun.

the pump does the job okay. i was bidding on a few BSA/Walther brand ones on ebay, but they ended up at over £80, and as previously mentioned i'm on a budget, so happy that the £40 pump is working. Its got a 2 year warranty, so if it breaks, i'll try (if the chinese seller still exists) to get a repair/replacement - but ultimately it gets the gun to 20 bar.

i got the pump for £40 delivered, the adaptor with additional quick release for £15 (which i endedup not needing as there was one in the SMK box) and the gun was £179. Phil said he was going to order a couple of guns in to sit on his shelf, but they'll be a few quid more as his retail price had gone up a bit since he ordered mine.

the only mod im considering is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pr900w-Barrel-Band-And-Fill-Port-Dust-Cover/273232489283?hash=item3f9deceb43:g:l8YAAOSw1GlaY41H - but unless i get find one for c,£10 i won't immediately be doing it.

i'll report how it goes when i've had a good go with it.

hello, how you getting on with the PR and new pump??????

On 23/06/2018 at 06:57, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, how you getting on with the PR and new pump??????

rifle is working well.

as i have only been shooting in my garden, i've limited it to 6 shots at a time just for noise.took me 20 or shots to get my scope aligned - i ended up buying a new Hawke from Wilts Rod & Gun. Its now dialed in nicely, and i've just shot a round of 5 with all shows within a 10p piece. 

i've used the pump twice. i think i'm getting around 30 shots before the pressure drops from 20 bar down to around 13 bar when i then refilled. pump performs well and does the job.

my only thoughts on the rifle..

my scope is mounted as far forward as it will go on the rifle mounting points. in an ideal world i'd prefer it 1 inch further away, but at present its performing well.   

i'm left handed shooter - i find it easy to cock the rifle with my right hand, but it can be tricky with big fingers to get the pellet to land in the bed perfectly each time. its not that much of an issue, but requires a delicate finger due to the location of the scope adjuster knob. i've not yet used the 9 pellet magazine.

for c.£240 ish (exc scope) i'm happy with it. i've had 2 pigeons so far - could have had more, but i spent a long time - 1 week get the scope zero'd and i on;y ever get it out when my adjacent neighbours are out.

Not a great fan of SMK but when you consider the price it's got to be worth a punt and practically any PCP has almost inbuilt accuracy due simply to the design, as long as it holds air and is comfortable/easy to shoot then all the bells and whistles of a gun 3 times the price doesn't kill anything more dead - it's also quite nice sometimes to shoot with a gun that's considered a bit of an underdog. Why are you struggling to get eye relief? - look up "reach forward" mounts and see if they would help - if so then I can send you a pair FOC, just PM me your address.

Edited by bruno22rf

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Not a great fan of SMK but when you consider the price it's got to be worth a punt and practically any PCP has almost inbuilt accuracy due simply to the design, as long as it holds air and is comfortable/easy to shoot then all the bells and whistles of a gun 3 times the price doesn't kill anything more dead - it's also quite nice sometimes to shoot with a gun that's considered a bit of an underdog. Why are you struggling to get eye relief? - look up "reach forward" mounts and see if they would help - if so then I can send you a pair FOC, just PM me your address.

cheers bruno11rf. i'll have a look for a set of those reach forward mounts. it just feels like the stock is a bit on the short side, so my head feels a bit too close to the scope to get a good view when stock is up to shoulder. i suppose i could get one of those butt extender things. i've just pushed the scope as far forward as it will go, so i'll see how that goes.

indeed - gun does not pretend to be a £400/500 gun, but does the job i needed it for, so for the price i'm happy with it.

ps - the groupings were from around 11 yards away - not a massive distance, but its where my pigeons land, so thats how i've set it up. i'll hopefully be able to use it on a bit further distance over the next few weeks.

42 minutes ago, stut4 said:

rifle is working well.

as i have only been shooting in my garden, i've limited it to 6 shots at a time just for noise.took me 20 or shots to get my scope aligned - i ended up buying a new Hawke from Wilts Rod & Gun. Its now dialed in nicely, and i've just shot a round of 5 with all shows within a 10p piece. 

i've used the pump twice. i think i'm getting around 30 shots before the pressure drops from 20 bar down to around 13 bar when i then refilled. pump performs well and does the job.

my only thoughts on the rifle..

my scope is mounted as far forward as it will go on the rifle mounting points. in an ideal world i'd prefer it 1 inch further away, but at present its performing well.   

i'm left handed shooter - i find it easy to cock the rifle with my right hand, but it can be tricky with big fingers to get the pellet to land in the bed perfectly each time. its not that much of an issue, but requires a delicate finger due to the location of the scope adjuster knob. i've not yet used the 9 pellet magazine.

for c.£240 ish (exc scope) i'm happy with it. i've had 2 pigeons so far - could have had more, but i spent a long time - 1 week get the scope zero'd and i on;y ever get it out when my adjacent neighbours are out.

hello, well done i thought you would have got more shots than that, what scope did you get off tony?

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well done i thought you would have got more shots than that, what scope did you get off tony?

i'd have liked to fired a few more, but the neighbours have had builders in 7 days a week and whilst i use a few sandbags as a backstop, i didn't want to risk any incidents with them on scaffolding only 10 yards away. 

it was a Hawke Vantage+3-9x40AO.  

2 minutes ago, stut4 said:

i'd have liked to fired a few more, but the neighbours have had builders in 7 days a week and whilst i use a few sandbags as a backstop, i didn't want to risk any incidents with them on scaffolding only 10 yards away. 

i've been careful on when i use it. its a quiet gun - i shoot from a kitchen window so its sounds louder to me, but i'd be interested to know how loud it is outside from 5-10 yards, so i might need to get an app on the phone to see. then might need to find that chap who sells the moderators.

Edited by stut4

1 minute ago, stut4 said:

i'd have liked to fired a few, but the neighbours have had builders in 7 days a week and whilst i use a few sandbags as a backstop, i didn't want to risk any incidents with them on scaffolding only 10 yards away. 

hello, good scopes, and can understand not upsetting neighbours, happy shooting

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, good scopes, and can understand not upsetting neighbours, happy shooting

you too. 

last thing i want to do is give them constant noise popping off pigeons, and it either upsets them, or worse, they report me to the police. don't want to risk that due to having the SGC's.

i'm hopeful of being able to rent our local scout hut for a couple of hours a month to use their 1 acre site to do a bit of target practice. they use their 177's in the hut over 7 meters. i fancy taking my backstop and setting up a 20/30 meter range. i'm on the committee, so hopefully they'll waive it through....

10 minutes ago, stut4 said:

you too. 

last thing i want to do is give them constant noise popping off pigeons, and it either upsets them, or worse, they report me to the police. don't want to risk that due to having the SGC's.

i'm hopeful of being able to rent our local scout hut for a couple of hours a month to use their 1 acre site to do a bit of target practice. they use their 177's in the hut over 7 meters. i fancy taking my backstop and setting up a 20/30 meter range. i'm on the committee, so hopefully they'll waive it through....

hello, Well good luck with that, and for your scout work,