4" Roller Decorators/Anyone Help Please?

Dekers

Just changed all the doors in my house, they are the panelled and woodgrain type.  I am using the roller and brush method to paint but have so far tried 2 different types of roller and they both deposit vast quantities of roller hairs all over my doors.

I don't want the foam type rollers as the doors are grained, and they must also be suitable for oil based pains as I'm using Dulux Satinwood.

Anyone tell me a roller I can use suitable for this job with no or MINIMAL hair loss.

Cheers

Your local trade centre should be able to supply you with short haired nylon rollers specifically designed for solvent based paints. They don’t shed anything. 

I still tend to paint the mouldings of the panels with a brush as rollers don’t get right into the corners and you get a build up on other parts.

Use the foam ones and then drag the brush over to flatten it out. Works great with no build up or the little dots you usually see when using foam. My uncle a painter decorator, always thinned the paint or varnish , said it loses all the brush or roller marks and dries to a nice smooth finish. I tried it and it worked well.

you want mohair rollers for oil based paint. New ones give them a going over with soapy water and a good rinse, let them dry and then use them.

The foam rollers have a tendancy to skid over the surface and the really fluffy ones will molt all the time.

On 3 May 2018 at 14:59, Dekers said:

Just changed all the doors in my house, they are the panelled and woodgrain type.  I am using the roller and brush method to paint but have so far tried 2 different types of roller and they both deposit vast quantities of roller hairs all over my doors.

I don't want the foam type rollers as the doors are grained, and they must also be suitable for oil based pains as I'm using Dulux Satinwood.

Anyone tell me a roller I can use suitable for this job with no or MINIMAL hair loss.

Cheers

When you say you are using the roller and brush method, do you mean you are cutting in the molds with the brush and then rolling the flat panel areas or do you mean that you are brushing all the door and then smoothing all the paint out with the roller, if it's the latter then a foam roller will be fine, if not then then you will need to get either a short haired micro-fibre roller sleeve ( the chunky ones are very good, they're about 30-40mm thick 100mm long )or as previously said a mohair short pile roller sleeve will do the job, but a lot more expensive.

12 hours ago, foxshooter69 said:

When you say you are using the roller and brush method, do you mean you are cutting in the molds with the brush and then rolling the flat panel areas or do you mean that you are brushing all the door and then smoothing all the paint out with the roller, if it's the latter then a foam roller will be fine, if not then then you will need to get either a short haired micro-fibre roller sleeve ( the chunky ones are very good, they're about 30-40mm thick 100mm long )or as previously said a mohair short pile roller sleeve will do the job, but a lot more expensive.

Yep, then all the flat panels gently brushed with grain to settle rollering!

:good: