Can anyone identify this bat?

sandspider

Found this chap in my porch a month or so ago (South East Wales). I reckon he was about 10cm long from claws to ear tips, maybe a bit more, and I'm not sure what he is! I appreciate the photo isn't great.

I don't think his ears are long enough (and his body too long) to be a long eared bat, so I was thinking Bechstein's maybe? Can anyone ID him or her?

Cheers.

Bat.jpg

Edited by sandspider

Guest stevo

I have no idea . 

But it’s very cool though ? I think there fascinating little things . And I love to see them bombing about the garden of an evening . 

Thanks all!

16 hours ago, stevo said:

I have no idea . 

But it’s very cool though ? I think there fascinating little things . And I love to see them bombing about the garden of an evening . 

:good:

16 hours ago, Swinton said:

it Looks like a long eared bat 

16 hours ago, JDog said:

Grey long eared bat.

I think the ears are too short, and the body too long. Grey long eared is apparently up to 6cm long (body and head), I think this one was maybe twice that? The light is probably 40cm across.

16 hours ago, islandgun said:

Horseshoe ? although ears look a little long, Bechstein are reported to roost exclusively in broadleaf woodland, no mention of porches

Possibly! We're surrounded by woodland of various sorts, and it was only in the porch for one evening, not seen it since unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

If it chirps! It's a Cricket Bat :yes: 

:whistling:

12 hours ago, The gouse said:

https://goo.gl/images/2poNiq

Looks like this one to me? he’s sleeping in that picture but at night watch yourself.

https://goo.gl/images/PirCpe

Hopefully not!

11 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Pretty cool find. We have 2 types of bat in our garden. Big ones and little ones. None have ever stopped still long enough to get a good look. 

We have pipistrelles roosting in the roof, but not sure what this one is even with a picture!

Careful if you do have to handle one....yes I do know you shouldn't but sometimes it is necessary for the well being of the bat. Gloves essential because if you get bit then seven jabs required as all bats can be rabbies carriers.  Great little creatures. My wife found one in our kitvhen sink a few weeks ago. It had obviously come down from roosting in one of our open unused chimneys.  I very carefully took it out and put it into the rafters of one of our old stables. It was a Pip and great to have them bomb us on a warm summer evening in the barbecue area.

Wife loves them, they fly round the garden as the sun is setting and the dusk chorus is in full swing. Lovely time to sit relax with a drink and take ten minutes to watch them.

Wife found little bat dead dried out in our log burner after a summer of not using it, she named him and has him in a little ornament thing what looks to me like an egg cup.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:18, GingerCat said:

Pretty cool find. We have 2 types of bat in our garden. Big ones and little ones. None have ever stopped still long enough to get a good look. 

This is my thinking, i love watching them when I'm out and always stop to watch them but I've no idea at all what I'm watching 

On 05/05/2018 at 08:39, fse10 said:

My boss, is a member of a bat group & is licence'd to catch bats. He's out on a two day survey next weekend. When i see him Tuesday will ask him what it is & report back.

Thanks FSE, would be good to hear.

Maybe it is a long eared bat, but doesn't look quite right to me...