Corded electric drill advice

Dave-G

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a hammer drill and an impact hammer drill - or is it just a play on words to make the item sound better?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-SILVERLINE-500W-VARIABLE-SPEED-ELECTRIC-IMPACT-HAMMER-DRILL-WARRANTY/322437517303 OR

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HILKA-600W-ELECTRIC-HAMMER-DRILL-VARIABLE-SPEED-IMPACT-DRIVER-SCREWDRIVER/291931022133

To save anyone advising I use an SDS drill - I need to be able to use 7mm x 300mm plain shanked masonary drill bits into concrete - long story.

5 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

What sds have you got? I only ask as mine can change from an sds Chuck to normal chuck. Might be able to with yours and save buying a second drill.

You can use a three jaw chuck with an adaptor in any SDS drill. Screwfix do them.

Lol, I've burnt out my 40 or so years old 300 watt hammer drill and borrowed a better 'normal' one this evening.

The lender gave me a 7mm x 310 SDS drill bit too - and can get more from his works if I need any. That changes the game so now I'll be looking at buying a budget SDS drill that can also use normal drill bits with an adaptor. It wont get much use but I quite like to have a good array of tools handy. 

After a good thread on here asking for advice on an SDS drill, I was on the verge of buying a Bosch, and instead opted for a disco white Makita that included a selection of drill bits for about £130 from Screwfix. 

Does everything I need it to at the moment (lots and lots of bricks)  but I’ve not yet tried it in concrete.

LS

Have a look at Aldi,s when they get them Dave ,i demolished chimneys with mine and drilled many a tumble drier hole too cheap ,powerful and mines 6 years old now with no issues and came with a 3 jaw 1/2" chuck as well as the normal SDS beast and a basic tool kit.If you cant wait screwfix,s Titan is a similar quality atb

sds drill / breaker about £60 in tool station / screwfix   and also sds drill bits are available up to 1m long   sds the only way for reinforced concrete brick etc other type drills are ok on concrete block or brick but will burn drill bits on iron brick / reinforced concrete etc   anything hard needs sds 

6 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Liking the look of a Titan one from Screwfix now, just round the corner, and a two year warranty - comes with a standard chuck adaptor too.

bought one about 2 years ago when I started doing up the house so far so good and at about 60 notes good value.

Blimey - I've been missing out big time!

I got the £60 Titan from screwfix - sure its a heavy lump but what a difference it makes when drilling through edging slabs for example.

I have some concrete chasing out to do soon, plan A was to do it the old way with cold chisels, bolster and lump hammer.... Plan B now lol. :good:

7 minutes ago, clakk said:

Well done that man ,youl pee through chasing with  a chisel bit in the Titan and if u naff the bit theyre cheap as chips to replace BUT dont lend it anyone 

As it happens I have a bench grinder thats not seen much use to getting a good end on the bit will be easy and quick. :)

On 04/05/2018 at 01:35, Dave-G said:

Liking the look of a Titan one from Screwfix now, just round the corner, and a two year warranty - comes with a standard chuck adaptor too.

Just bought one of these to replace the one that was stolen from my shed. Drilled througha Victorian solid 9" red brick wall in no time.