A small bag but a great day.

JDog

This morning I spent three hours in the sun either sitting in the car or on a grassy bank with Jasper buzzing around me. There were no pigeons but there were several pairs of Wheatears, Skylarks, Meadow pipits, Yellow wagtails, a Hobby, a Peregrine and all sorts of other tweety birds. I had returned to the area where Clodhopper and I had such a good session last Monday and I was in my element.

My house was only four miles away so I returned home for lunch, did a bit of gardening, chatted to my wife then I set off again for the same fields in hope rather than expectation. Nothing stirred until 2:30 then masses of pigeons flew overhead aimlessly. None headed for a feed in the bean field we shot nor a smaller one I found nearby. It was the sort of situation whereby if it wasn't such a nice afternoon I would have gone home completely satisfied. As it was I decided to set up on a bale store and hope that I could drag some pigeons over. This sort of worked. You know how it is, out of every large group of pigeons flying high overhead one kamikaze pigeon peels off and into the decoys.

I didn't have many shots but I shot and picked 19 pigeons and considered myself lucky to be alive on a day like this. Oh yes, and I missed an easy Magpie.

thumbnail_20180503_153322.jpg

thumbnail_20180503_152325_balw_hide.jpg

Jasper_in_sun.jpg

Edited by JDog

Lovely summery photos , your farmer friend have got a huge amount of straw left  considering the time of year and is Jaspers coat wet or very well groomed , really look a picture of health.

Didn't take my gun today , just enjoyed the countryside without having to lug gear about for very little returns , one farm I looked at have now got the peas just poking through , no pigeons as yet but hope its only a matter of time .

"The number in the bag is irrelevant to the quality of the day".

"No such thing as bad weather. Just the wrong clothing".

As advised by my old daddy (long gone).

Always great to be out and the dog is the icing on the cake.

Nice post. tiphat.gif