Chaps,

Will try to explain.

I’m attaching bespoke trellis to some tall fence posts. I’m not 100% convinced that the horizontal batons are strong enough with just a couple of screws holding them to the fence posts - the screws look too close to the ends. So, I reckon I’d like a couple of metal brackets that fit around the horizontals to strengthen the joints.

7_C3_CCC55_D43_F_4_F43_A562_506409537_EB

So, the fence posts are supposed to be 75mm square but generally are slightly under (74mm), and the horizontals are 32mm square ish.

I want four brackets that will cover the top of the fence post and the top horizontal.

I also need twelve brackets that will wrap the horizontals only.

They need to be matte black and weatherproof.

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction or can make something up?

:good:

LS

If u pilot drill the rails they should be ok.

How far apart are ur posts? Not a massive ammount of strength in 11/2"'s if over a long distnce (6ft is the norm) if they are 6ft distances i'd imagine ur weak spot will be the rails themselves.

Normally u'd use 3x2's or something similar of fences, altho trelis work is usually sort of self standing so u just anchor it to the posts itselfand don't usually put battens behind it.

If ur really concerned i'd put extra battens rathers than renenforcig the joints

Many decent ironmongery shops would have a selection of 90 degree brackets, prob galv so u'd have to spray them black ur self

16 minutes ago, JDog said:

To take the strain sit the trellis on a suitably sized cross member.

This was my thinking, just run some 3*2 top and middle between fence posts line them up so there in line with your trellis, i doubt you'll notice them once everything is painted and things are growing 

46 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Chaps,

Will try to explain.

I’m attaching bespoke trellis to some tall fence posts. I’m not 100% convinced that the horizontal batons are strong enough with just a couple of screws holding them to the fence posts - the screws look too close to the ends. So, I reckon I’d like a couple of metal brackets that fit around the horizontals to strengthen the joints.

7_C3_CCC55_D43_F_4_F43_A562_506409537_EB

So, the fence posts are supposed to be 75mm square but generally are slightly under (74mm), and the horizontals are 32mm square ish.

I want four brackets that will cover the top of the fence post and the top horizontal.

I also need twelve brackets that will wrap the horizontals only.

They need to be matte black and weatherproof.

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction or can make something up?

:good:

LS

That’s going to cost you mate, must be an easier solution

57 minutes ago, scotslad said:

If u pilot drill the rails they should be ok.

How far apart are ur posts? Not a massive ammount of strength in 11/2"'s if over a long distnce (6ft is the norm) if they are 6ft distances i'd imagine ur weak spot will be the rails themselves.

Normally u'd use 3x2's or something similar of fences, altho trelis work is usually sort of self standing so u just anchor it to the posts itselfand don't usually put battens behind it.

If ur really concerned i'd put extra battens rathers than renenforcig the joints

Many decent ironmongery shops would have a selection of 90 degree brackets, prob galv so u'd have to spray them black ur self

Yup - all pre-drilled, and the longest section which is unsupported is only just 6’ (1800mm). There is a longer section at the front, but that has a corner joint at one end, and I have very smartly morticed the horizontals to those running in at 90 degrees.

My concern stems from the fact that these trellis sections are only the top 2’ (600mm) of posts that are 10’ (3000mm) high. I’ll be fan-training fruit trees in the 8’ x 6’ gaps underneath. It’s a sheltered spot, but I’m nervous about wind damage, especially when it’s got a climbing rose or wisteria all over it.

LS

The other option is the get some galv or stainless builders band, it is maleable enough the you could wrap it over the post and around your horizontal rails to get the same result as in your sketch, just that it wont be the full width of the post.

paint it out and it will be discrete enough.

It’s also cheap as chips and you get a muckle great roll of it.

Edited by grrclark

I can do it but there is quite a bit of time in it.

Personally for a painted finish I would use hammerite and top it up every five years. If you want it to last forever galvanise it. 

Material thickness? 3mm or so? 

12 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

What about some angle iron?

That’ll do it, right? Just some little 74mm (or whatever) bits of angle iron nestling under the horizontals to take some of the weight, yup?

LS

This is the simplest - except that you will have to paint it (use Hammerite).

The glue or builders band options look good too

I'd be inclined just to increase the batten thickness and use a bit o 3x2 or something

Another option would be to srcew a block of timber below and above and screwing all round, or putting a face on it to, but to be honest the srews should be strong enough, for the size of timber

If ur posts are 10ft out the ground, i hope they're well dug in (3ft+) and concreted.

At that hieght i'd be more worried about the post's snapping (i would of went for 4" post's) might be worth putting some angled stay's up, but it all depends how much wind they'll catch