Found a dead roe buck

ian1337

I was walking in a private area of land. In an area of grass bordering a wood I came across a dead roe buck. Looked like it dropped dead on the spot. I saw it alive a week or two ago and it looked healthy. I wonder how it died. Never seen something like this before.

dead roe.jpg

6 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

this time of year when the vegetation flushes it can scour them and you do fine a few dead, it's probably a bit far gone but did it look like it had the runs? 

I didn't notice anything unusual. How does the vegetation affect them? There's lots of vegetation growing at this time of year.

Not wishing to over speculate on the possibilities but a crossbow bolt goes clean through on soft tissue. you need to turn it over and see whats on the other side. On the north side of London fringe,  from Ruislip/Harefield in the west to Barnet in the north lots of munties turning up with crossbow injuries. Blame goes to Eastern Europeans, and to be honest they are fishing the lakes dry so its more than plausible,  heard of swans and ducks too, plus many are disappearing from our local parks .  

Speculation/ rumour is RSPCA are mounting a case against crossbows, I don't often agree with RSPCA but they might be on the money with this one 

Edited by Vince Green

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Not wishing to over speculate on the possibilities but a crossbow bolt goes clean through on soft tissue. you need to turn it over and see whats on the other side. On the north side of London fringe,  from Ruislip/Harefield in the west to Barnet in the north lots of munties turning up with crossbow injuries. Blame goes to Eastern Europeans, and to be honest they are fishing the lakes dry so its more than plausible,  heard of swans and ducks too, plus many are disappearing from our local parks .  

Speculation/ rumour is RSPCA are mounting a case against crossbows, I don't often agree with RSPCA but they might be on the money with this one 

I didn't notice anything unusual when I moved it. I think the other side is badly decomposed so would be hard to see an exit wound. I live in Berkshire. Should have checked the other side, probably too late now. I thought it possibly could have been a dog attack/animal attack but I didn't see any sign of a struggle. Hopefully there isn't a disease going around.

6 hours ago, ian1337 said:

I didn't notice anything unusual. How does the vegetation affect them? There's lots of vegetation growing at this time of year.

They go from really nutrient poor vegetation that they have been managing on through winter and then as the vegetation flushes it's suddenly really rich and it scours them, they basically **** themselves to death. 

Especially after a hard winter when their condition is poor to begin with. 

I have only ever found does affected by this but there is no reason why a buck wouldn't be. 

It’s the same issue with all livestock at this time of year, the grass etc goes wild but is full of water and it goes straight through them, they end up dehydrated and stuff can die very quickly. If it’s scour that’s killed it and it hasn’t died of lead poisoning.  

2 hours ago, sako751sg said:

I would say gut shot by the looks of the hole there.

They will travel far enough with such a wound and can be a long slow death.

Yep, and that hole looks very much like an exit hole to me.  Even deteriorated state, the entry hole would be same size as the bullet.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

It’s the same issue with all livestock at this time of year, the grass etc goes wild but is full of water and it goes straight through them, they end up dehydrated and stuff can die very quickly. If it’s scour that’s killed it and it hasn’t died of lead poisoning.  

yup. 

That's what I was trying to say but you said it much better.  

4 hours ago, scolopax said:

two holes four or five inches apart,  it has been broadsided by another buck in the guts. Death would have been quite a slow affair for the poor beast.

ooh yeah I hadn't thought of that. 

far more plausible than having been shot and of it were scouring like I suggested it would have a ****ty backside.