Average speed cameras

Bigbob

Ive just been to see my daughter the other side of Aberdeen and from Dundee its average speed cameras all the road , I set the cruise control at 70 and sit back and enjoy the trip in the truck your higher up so you can see more . Firstly there's the clowns that don't know what the inside lanes for after you have overtaking a slower vehicle , then the clowns that fly past you and slam on the brakes as they approach a camera   a journey  that used to take just over 2 hours now takes 3.5 hours  as there's three 50mph zones and up and down not a sole working on any of them 

M42 is a mile from my house and the variable speed carp is only applied through Brummigum so your pollution theory makes sense as it is never congested when the dimpltons in charge bring it on .Me n her have many times gave forth why  is this on for when there,s more traffic in BOJO,s brain but what can u do the man has the power so we do  30/40/50/30 and get cross well not the words   i actually use but this is a public forum atb

Edited by clakk

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

A work colleague has just done a speed awareness course and was told several stretches of the M1 and M42 are speed restricted because of pollution issues, the M42 is governed by how much traffic is using it at once ..don’t know if this is true or not

29 minutes ago, clakk said:

M42 is a mile from my house and the variable speed carp is only applied through Brummigum so your pollution theory makes sense as it is never congested when the dimpltons in charge bring it on .Me n her have many times gave forth why  is this on for when there,s more traffic in BOJO,s brain but what can u do the man has the power so we do  30/40/50/30 and get cross well not the words   i actually use but this is a public forum atb

M1 was down to 60 some weeks ago when practically empty. When i enquired as to why, I was told it triggers automatically when the pollution hits a certain level. Even when working at its maximum, it only improves air quality by 4%! The system for speed is also automated i'm told.

I was flashed just after Meadowhall heading north. Limit on the gantries was 50. It flashed me at 62 so it does work.  Some are also set to trigger when there is no speed limit on the gantry, just set to national speed limit.

6 hours ago, keg said:

M1 was down to 60 some weeks ago when practically empty. When i enquired as to why, I was told it triggers automatically when the pollution hits a certain level. Even when working at its maximum, it only improves air quality by 4%! The system for speed is also automated i'm told.

I was flashed just after Meadowhall heading north. Limit on the gantries was 50. It flashed me at 62 so it does work.  Some are also set to trigger when there is no speed limit on the gantry, just set to national speed limit.

Amazes me why people would think they don’t work when no speed is visible. 

If it’s a motorway with cameras I never go over 70 anyway .

the speed sign is only on with a change of speed but the cameras still work constantly.

my customer was done 3 times in a single week . 9 points lol

12 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Firstly there's the clowns that don't know what the inside lanes for after you have overtaking a slower vehicle , then the clowns that fly past you and slam on the brakes as they approach a camera   

I travel to Aberdeen on this road every day and do exactly the same as you although have cruse control set at a GPS speed of 70 (76ish of the speedo) both those things really annoy me. The most annoying are the ones who are travelling at a speedo indicating 70mph ad refuse to move over!

I'm currently in the US where (generally) speed limits are adhered to because the fines / penalties are crippling. Also, overtaking in any lane is the norm and it works very well.

The no overtaking on the inside lane in the UK needs to be reconsidered - it is outdated.

Also here (and other places) you can legally turn right ("with caution") at most red lights when the road is clear? Why in the UK do we have to wait to turn left when there is no traffic on the other road. That is just daft?

Edited by Eyefor

3 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

70 (76ish of the speedo)

Mine is about that as well.

38 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

The no overtaking on the inside lane in the UK needs to be reconsidered - it is outdated.

Also here (and other places) you can legally turn right ("with caution") at most red lights when the road is clear? Why in the UK do we have to wait to turn left when there is no traffic on the other road.

I think you are quite correct on both of these points and they should be legal here.

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

I'm currently in the US where (generally) speed limits are adhered to because the fines / penalties are crippling. Also, overtaking in any lane is the norm and it works very well.

Also here (and other places) you can legally turn right ("with caution") at most red lights when the road is clear? Why in the UK do we have to wait to turn left when there is no traffic on the other road. That is just daft?

Im going to disagree on the no undertaking, the right turn at a red in my opinion is good, but undertaking brings far more risk, if people actually follow the existing rules and drive in the left lane exept when overtaking it works very well.

2 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

if people actually follow the existing rules and drive in the left lane exept when overtaking it works very well.

That is quite true, but experience shows they don't.  I think on balance it would ease traffic flow.

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

I was in the States a month or so ago and thought the standard of driving had gone down hill since I was there a couple of years back. There was always some **** who changed lane every 2 seconds to under or overtake at speed. Unfortunately the UK is filled with ducks like this and normally you only have to watch out for them over your right shoulder not both. They also drive 3 inches from the car in front which I hate, I never noticed this before.

Turning right on a red is a good idea and one which I like.

18 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Ive just been to see my daughter the other side of Aberdeen and from Dundee its average speed cameras all the road , I set the cruise control at 70 and sit back and enjoy the trip in the truck your higher up so you can see more . Firstly there's the clowns that don't know what the inside lanes for after you have overtaking a slower vehicle , then the clowns that fly past you and slam on the brakes as they approach a camera   a journey  that used to take just over 2 hours now takes 3.5 hours  as there's three 50mph zones and up and down not a sole working on any of them 

Just read that they are going to lower the speed in Wales to 50mph

I see that they are considering introducing 50 mph speed limits in Wales.

In my opinion the biggest risk is in changing lanes, I have witnessed a number of collisions over the years and a lot more near misses. I despair at the plonkers who drive in the slow lane but keep darting in and out every few minutes to overtake other vehicles. Technically I know they are doing it correctly according to the highway code but times have changed since the highway code was written in 1931.

In the mornings on the M25 whenever there is an accident (which is every day) its nearly always just at the point where a slip road peels off, and I'm sure we know why that is.

With my car the low profile tyres make it unpleasant to drive in the slow lane because the lorries have worn ruts in the carriageway and the tyres are constantly tracking on the uneven surface.

With modern dashcams now very common you should be able to shop an inside lane overtaker to CrimeStoppers, email off the footage and if they get prosecuted you get a £20 reward. Bus drivers get it for people using the bus lanes so its not without precident  

Edited by Vince Green

Left turn on red wouldn’t be a good idea here. It works fine when a single stage of a traffic signal is running, but when 2 stages run simultaneously (opposite flows like many uk set-ups) it becomes too complicated to safely allow a third stage to cut into the vehicle flows.

27 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Just read that they are going to lower the speed in Wales to 50mph

I see that they are considering introducing 50 mph speed limits in Wales.

There are virtually no motorways in Wales, only the M4 and the old bit of the M4 (M48?)  Not even a lot of decent A roads once you get into the middle

Edited by Vince Green

5 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I can not see how it would work here really, in USA I have never seen the lane switching that we get here and if the Telephone  (sorry nearside)  Lane was blocked, they would be taking to the hard shoulder. As you have said, in US everyone adheres to the speed limits and the driving is far more relaxed.

3 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

That looks like a money making scheme to me - nothing more.

How do you come to that conclusion then  ?

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In my opinion the biggest risk is in changing lanes, I have witnessed a number of collisions over the years and a lot more near misses. I despair at the plonkers who drive in the slow lane but keep darting in and out every few minutes to overtake other vehicles. Technically I know they are doing it correctly according to the highway code but times have changed since the highway code was written in 1931.

I have to politely disagree with this statement, firstly there is no 'slow lane' because as you rightly say according to the Highway Code the idea is that is the lane you drive in and lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking. My truck will do 70 but economy becomes awful so I usually cruise at 60 in lane 1 which means I have to come out to overtake the Lorries doing 56 and once clear pull back into lane 1. In my opinion the scourge is the nervous or stupid driver who chugs in lane 2 forcing all overtaking into lane 3

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In the mornings on the M25 whenever there is an accident (which is every day) its nearly always just at the point where a slip road peels off, and I'm sure we know why that is.

With my car the low profile tyres make it unpleasant to drive in the slow lane because the lorries have worn ruts in the carriageway and the tyres are constantly tracking on the uneven surface.

With modern dashcams now very common you should be able to shop an inside lane overtaker to CrimeStoppers, email off the footage and if they get prosecuted you get a £20 reward. Bus drivers get it for people using the bus lanes so its not without precident  

Where do bus drivers get a reward for people using bus lanes?

50 minutes ago, old man said:

Yep. Spread more confusion and top up the coffers.

HOW does it spread confusion, if the speed limit is 60,50 or 40, there will be repeater speed limit signs at intervals alongside the road. IF there are no repeater signs, then one must presume it is 30 mph  !   I live on a 20mph (YES, there are repeater signs) road where the average speed is 40 mph, mostly by those carrying kids and are on the 'school run'. I must try to remember that they are speeding because they are 'confused'. They are still 'confused' on their return trip when they abandon their vehicles on the double yellow lines outside Costa coffee (collecting their breakfast) causing chaos.

47 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I have to politely disagree with this statement, firstly there is no 'slow lane' because as you rightly say according to the Highway Code the idea is that is the lane you drive in and lanes 2 and 3 are for overtaking. My truck will do 70 but economy becomes awful so I usually cruise at 60 in lane 1 which means I have to come out to overtake the Lorries doing 56 and once clear pull back into lane 1. In my opinion the scourge is the nervous or stupid driver who chugs in lane 2 forcing all overtaking into lane 3

That's debatable because rule 264 says you should drive in the left hand land when the road ahead of you is clear. It also says you should return after overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles. when the road ahead of you becomes clear.  It doesn't say you have to return after overtaking each vehicle in that row, bouncing back and forth in and out of the middle lane like a mad thing.

In reality, the sort of motorways I drive on, the left hand lane is almost never clear of slower moving traffic and if everybody stuck to the left hand lane the motorway would never be able to handle the volume  

Edited by Vince Green

27 minutes ago, Westley said:

How do you come to that conclusion then  ?

A personal view based on the cost of changing signage  to comply with the rest of the UK.  If no signage to the contrary, due to a unilateral change by the Welsh assembly, drivers would be confused and liable to "speed" without realizing leaving them open to penalties, particularly of rural roads.

It may just be my cynical nature, but the cost of additional signage would be astronomical, so I suspect this is the action that would be taken

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

HOW does it spread confusion, if the speed limit is 60,50 or 40, there will be repeater speed limit signs at intervals alongside the road. IF there are no repeater signs, then one must presume it is 30 mph  !   I live on a 20mph (YES, there are repeater signs) road where the average speed is 40 mph, mostly by those carrying kids and are on the 'school run'. I must try to remember that they are speeding because they are 'confused'. They are still 'confused' on their return trip when they abandon their vehicles on the double yellow lines outside Costa coffee (collecting their breakfast) causing chaos.

This think this(in bold) is incorrect outside of built up areas with regular street lighting  ( normal 30 limit areas) unless signed at regular intervals (even 30)  roads are classified as de-restricted and that is 60 in single track and 70 on dual carriageway and motorway iirc from my speed awareness course. If I am incorrect please point we to the document that states the contrary.

As to your other comments Re school run mothers I totally agree:):lol: