Average speed cameras

Bigbob

Although 30 mph roads are usually illuminated, there are still no repeater signs on the lamposts. If the road is illuminated, it can still have a higher speed limit BUT repeater signs will be displayed. I have yet to come across a '30mph' road that was classified as derestricted. If the road is National Speed Limit, there will be repeater signs displayed accordingly.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Although 30 mph roads are usually illuminated, there are still no repeater signs on the lamposts. If the road is illuminated, it can still have a higher speed limit BUT repeater signs will be displayed. I have yet to come across a '30mph' road that was classified as derestricted. If the road is National Speed Limit, there will be repeater signs displayed accordingly.

Speed Limit Markings

This is a brief guide to the law and practice of speed limit signs and markings in the UK

Any road with regular street lighting has a default speed limit of 30 mph unless signs indicate otherwise. The entry to a 30 mph zone must be marked by a "30" sign on both sides of the road, but no repeater signs are permitted within the zone (on the grounds that they might be confusing if some roads had them and others didn't). "30" roundels on the road surface are however permitted, with a special dispensation.

In some circumstances, where a side road has a lower limit than the main road, only one speed limit sign for the lower limit is needed, on the left-hand side of the road, and no signs at all are needed for the higher limit if there are repeater signs on the main road indicating the limit within 100 yards of the junction.

Where there is no street lighting, the default limit is 60 mph for single-carriageway and 70 mph for dual carriageway roads. This is referred to as the "National Speed Limit" (NSL), and entry to these zones is marked by the familiar "derestriction" sign with a diagonal black stripe on a white background. Repeater signs are not normally used but are not specifically prohibited.

Any other limit requires roadside repeater signs at regular intervals prescribed by law. The mere fact that a road runs through an urban or rural area makes no difference to the speed limit - it is the presence or absence of street lighting. Thus a lit dual carriageway in a rural environment would have a 30 limit unless signs indicate otherwise, and the speed limit through the snooty Cheshire village of Prestbury, which still refuses to have street lighting, would be 60 in the absence of 30 signs and repeaters.

An increasing number of lit NSL roads (for example the A556 between the M6 Junction 19 and Lostock near Northwich), are now being given "60" or "70" repeaters rather than NSL ones. Presumably the thinking is that this makes the speed limit clearer, as there is evidence that the NSL is not properly understood by drivers, but it must add another layer of confusion as they will wonder what is the difference between a single-carriageway 60 road and an NSL one.

20 mph repeaters are not required within a signed 20 mph zone if the limit is in effect self-enforcing through the use of traffic calming measures. However, if there is little or no traffic calming, 20 mph repeaters are required for the limit to be enforceable.

All roads with a motorway designation, e.g. M6 or A627(M), have a default speed limit of 70 mph unless signs indicate otherwise - for example, the A57(M) Mancunian Way in Manchester has a 50 mph limit as it has some very tight junctions. This 70 limit includes the handful of single-carriageway roads with motorway status such as the A6144(M) off the M60 near Sale.

Speed limit roundels painted on the road surface may be used to supplement a system of speed limit repeaters, but on their own do not constitute a legal system of speed limit marking. For a limit to be enforceable, the proper number of repeaters must also be present.

13 hours ago, scotslad said:

Have they not just raised the speed limit on the A9 for Hgv's?

I heard they had raised it from 40 to 50 to ease congestion.

its another road which is average speed camera'd for large milages, but to be fair it used to be a horrible road to drive

The new regulations in England and Wales for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) over 7.5 tonnes speed limits rise from 40mph to 50mph on single carriageways, and from 50mph to 60mph on dual carriageways.

• The national speed limits for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on a single carriageway increased from 40mph to 50mph.
  • The speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on dual carriageways increased from 50mph to 60mph.

The speed limits in Scotland remain the same and European speed limiter requirements also remain unchanged and must be set at 56mph or lower.

Speed limits was changed from 6 April 2015.

So maybe Scotland is following.

Edited by Trippyhippy

On 04/05/2018 at 20:18, Westley said:

HOW does it spread confusion, if the speed limit is 60,50 or 40, there will be repeater speed limit signs at intervals alongside the road. IF there are no repeater signs, then one must presume it is 30 mph  !   I live on a 20mph (YES, there are repeater signs) road where the average speed is 40 mph, mostly by those carrying kids and are on the 'school run'. I must try to remember that they are speeding because they are 'confused'. They are still 'confused' on their return trip when they abandon their vehicles on the double yellow lines outside Costa coffee (collecting their breakfast) causing chaos.

Westley. I didn't say I was confused necessarily but observation of a few trips rush hour in pouring rain seems to not have a calming effect on the majority of users? :lol:

18 hours ago, Trippyhippy said:

The new regulations in England and Wales for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) over 7.5 tonnes speed limits rise from 40mph to 50mph on single carriageways, and from 50mph to 60mph on dual carriageways.

• The national speed limits for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on a single carriageway increased from 40mph to 50mph.
  • The speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on dual carriageways increased from 50mph to 60mph.

The speed limits in Scotland remain the same and European speed limiter requirements also remain unchanged and must be set at 56mph or lower.

Speed limits was changed from 6 April 2015.

So maybe Scotland is following.

And then they left vans at the same limits. Always bugs me being restricted to 50 I’m a single and 60mph on a dual Carriageway.

But if I had a camper in the same I’m ok to go car speeds

39 minutes ago, team tractor said:

And then they left vans at the same limits. Always bugs me being restricted to 50 I’m a single and 60mph on a dual Carriageway.

But if I had a camper in the same I’m ok to go car speeds

well that's because Van men only drive for leisure where as people in campers probably have the wife sat next to them chewing their ear off about how they are driving, something they said, or that they put a knife in the fork bit of the cutlery drawer this morning. No politician in their right mind would want to prolong that agony by making them drive slower.

Just now, ClemFandango said:

well that's because Van men only drive for leisure where as people in campers probably have the wife sat next to them chewing their ear off about how they are driving, something they said, or that they put a knife in the fork bit of the cutlery drawer this morning. No politician in their right mind would want to prolong that agony by making them drive slower.

What about me tho. I go on holidays in my van with the mrs and have to wear ear defenders ;) 

On 4 May 2018 at 20:25, Vince Green said:

That's debatable because rule 264 says you should drive in the left hand land when the road ahead of you is clear. It also says you should return after overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles. when the road ahead of you becomes clear.  It doesn't say you have to return after overtaking each vehicle in that row, bouncing back and forth in and out of the middle lane like a mad thing.

In reality, the sort of motorways I drive on, the left hand lane is almost never clear of slower moving traffic and if everybody stuck to the left hand lane the motorway would never be able to handle the volume  

Sounds like you are trying to justify being a middle lane hogger.