Annoyed!

steve_b_wales

A few days ago, my wife sent me a text while I was in work, to inform me that when she switched the washing machine on, it was tripping out the circuit breaker (or blowing a fuse as she stated) When I came home the next morning, I had a quick check and, indeed, when it was switched on, it did this. She contacted a guy who services/repairs the washing machines for the company she works for (community houses) and he came to check it while I was in bed. (working night shifts)When I got up in the afternoon, she said that he had been, and the main circuit board had 'gone'. The machine was 11 years old so we thought it's had a good run. We bought a new one (£370) which was delivered yesterday, and I connected it up. I switched it on, and no power was going to it. Then I could see that the circuit breaker had 'tripped' again. I tried the washing machine again by connecting it to another socket via an extension lead, and it worked okay :ninja:. It turned out that the actual socket that the machine/s were connected to, was faulty, and there was nothing wrong with our old one. Too late though, as the old one has gone to the recycling plant!

A couple of years ago I learned a procedure to help identify the possible cause of the problem if the trip keeps blowing - I suspect some may say it's not foolproof, but it worked on this occasion.

Unplug every appliance then plug in only one appliance. If the breaker does not trip unplug that appliance and plug in the next one. In other words only one appliance is ever plugged in at any time. Go around the property repeating the process until the breaker trips. Unplug that appliance and plug into that socket a different appliance, one which had been tested and had not tripped the breaker. If the breaker trips then the socket is at fault. If it does not trip then it is the appliance at fault.

In my case it was the tenants kitchen kettle

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And you have learned not to take the cheap option and ask a favour of someone who doesn't really know what he's doing!

The guy who actually 'checked' out the old machine is qualified. He has to be to allow him to service/repair the machines for various companies. And, my wife gave him £20 because he called down 'as a favour'! I'm going to phone him later and 'have a word' with him!

To be fair, I think it is uncommon for sockets go faulty.  They are usually on a 'ring', and I cannot think quite how the use of one socket can trip the ring due to something being plugged in, but the 'something' to be OK on other sockets, and the ring to be OK with nothing plugged in.  No doubt there is a way, but i can't think of it!  No doubt someone will jump in with something obvious, but I can't identify it.

On the other hand, I have had both washing machines and dishwashers fail and operate the trip - often due to heater element faults.

It only goes to show that you have to check everything everyone does (to the best of your ability anyway).

36 minutes ago, Bobba said:

A couple of years ago I learned a procedure to help identify the possible cause of the problem if the trip keeps blowing - I suspect some may say it's not foolproof, but it worked on this occasion.

Unplug every appliance then plug in only one appliance. If the breaker does not trip unplug that appliance and plug in the next one. In other words only one appliance is ever plugged in at any time. Go around the property repeating the process until the breaker trips. Unplug that appliance and plug into that socket a different appliance, one which had been tested and had not tripped the breaker. If the breaker trips then the socket is at fault. If it does not trip then it is the appliance at fault.

In my case it was the tenants kitchen kettle

|Old school but effective, that's how we separate the problem and of course trying it in a different socket may have helped too.

52 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

To be fair, I think it is uncommon for sockets go faulty.  They are usually on a 'ring', and I cannot think quite how the use of one socket can trip the ring due to something being plugged in, but the 'something' to be OK on other sockets, and the ring to be OK with nothing plugged in.  No doubt there is a way, but i can't think of it!  No doubt someone will jump in with something obvious, but I can't identify it.

On the other hand, I have had both washing machines and dishwashers fail and operate the trip - often due to heater element faults.

It only goes to show that you have to check everything everyone does (to the best of your ability anyway).

John, think about a ring main, the current traveles both ways.

24 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

John, think about a ring main, the current traveles both ways.

You will have to give me a further clue, as I don't see why that makes any difference to it tripping the breaker - as the total current drawn by the appliance will all come from one breaker and end up at one socket whether it goes 'clockwise, anticlockwise, or (as will actually happen) a mix of both' round the ring.

21 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You will have to give me a further clue, as I don't see why that makes any difference to it tripping the breaker - as the total current drawn by the appliance will all come from one breaker and end up at one socket whether it goes 'clockwise, anticlockwise, or (as will actually happen) a mix of both' round the ring.

I would say that most socket faults are probably due to failure or breakdown of switch contacts. As the switch on socket outlets only switch the live it is likely that an RCD/RCBO or whatever form of protection is in place will be operated due to the imbalance in Live & neutral under load conditions.

In older properties with fuses/MCB's these are less likely to see the fault, hence will not clear and you will simply be left with an intermittent faulty socket outlet.

Steve get your 20 quid back and go to Screwfix/Toolstation a socket tester is about a tenner and lights up or not as per the fault ,must be easy to use as im no Einstein .Oh and buy a bottle of wine with the other tenner and drink to your old machine atb

On 04/05/2018 at 08:27, JohnfromUK said:

I would haven't have thought that the socket was faulty, to be honest. And when I took the front plate off to renew it, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I used to repair the old twintub washing machines many moons ago, and the point would have been the last thing I would have thought was causing the problem.

22 hours ago, clakk said:

Steve get your 20 quid back and go to Screwfix/Toolstation a socket tester is about a tenner and lights up or not as per the fault ,must be easy to use as im no Einstein .Oh and buy a bottle of wine with the other tenner and drink to your old machine atb

Sadly, I can't get the £20 back, but I am going to get his number and phone him and give him a piece of my mind! Good idea about the socket tester though. :good:

Here’s one, What if the old machine was indeed faulty as he described and was placing too great a load on the wall outlet which lead to its failure or the other way around?

Cant see what good would come from calling him unless you just wish to update him and mention the wall outlet too, plus also thank hi, for com8ng out anyway for a paltry £20