28 Gauge for Clays

MR. BROWN

Have in recent times only been involved / interested in 12 Gauge guns ......

I have a line on a gorgeous Beretta Guibileo 28 gauge with 28" tubes.

I want it, but would like to be assured that 28s will still be 'viable' versus, just a useless toy regarding sporting clays.

I have absolutely zero experience with 28s and none of my shooting pals use them.

Given 21g from a 12 is more than enough I doubt (ignoring financial considerations) the same 21g from a 28 would be significantly different. 

You might want to look into reloading though if you plan on using it much and dont have very deep pockets. 

Yes, reloading would be almost mandatory given 28 gauge ammo is double the price of 12 gauge.

Fellow shooters who once reloaded 12 gauge, have mostly sold their reloading gear due to high price of lead shot and relatively low price of 12 gauge ammunition.

But, considering a lesser amount of shot will be required for 28 gauge shells .....

Finding cartridges in standard clay sizes is the biggest problem theyr'e nearly always game carts, with game cart prices. Gamebore do a skeet cartridge and Eley did a number seven but not always available. If serious start reloading for it.

I use a 28 for game and occasional clays. Given I do not use heavy loads in a 12, 24-28 gms, I am throwing the same charges in both guns. I have never felt under gunned and love using a lighter gun. If you can try before you buy I strongly recommend it as they are not for everyone. Some very good comments on cartridge dost as they are extortionate in comparison with 12 in the same load so that alone may put you off.

When I last shot clays with a 12 I used mainly 21 (and ocasionally 24) gram loads. 

For the 28 I use  mainly 21 (and occasionally 18 and 24) gram loads. Availability being a factor, so shop around.

A quick look as JustCartriges showed a choice of 28 gauge 21/24 gram cartridges at £260-300 per 1000 in a range of shot sizes 7 to 9,  there are other suppliers and slightly lower prices. So compare these prices with what you pay per 1000 for your chosen 12 bore clay cartridges, then decided if 28 running costs are for you and if reloading is viable.

As said already all the clays won't know the make or calibre of the gun that fired the shot that broke them.

Edited by seeker
grammatical inexactitude

Am going to a big 5 stand shoot tomorrow.

I'm laying a bet with myself, that every gun will be a 12 gauge, so probably zero opportunity to try a 28 gauge; will probably struggle to find someone who owns a 28 Gauge !

( one of the reasons I'm drawn to a 28 - something different )

I now shoot 410 almost exclusively and to be honest never find myself undergunned. Just put the target in the middle of the pattern and job done. I am shooting a 'pretend' driven day next week and will be shooting the 410.  I shot 24 days driven last season and the gun faired equal with any of the 20s and 12s present.  You will enjoy shooting the 28 gauge and watching the jaws drop.   For clays if cost is a situation then reloading will be the way to go.  I only reload fibre because I cannot find a good fibre 410 shell on the market.    Have fun. 

I have a Webley and Scott 928 left handed bought for my son and he loves it. Yes cartridges are costly but it’s got him to the next level of clay shooting and does the 28 break clays? Hell yes, he’s using 14g carts and manages to do really well.