Garage clear - relatively - only taken 27 years

Gordon R

For the first time since 1991, my garage is clear of motocross or road bikes. Still got some labelling and tidying to do, but I can walk down to the back without skinning my shins. It might still look untidy, but I can now access all areas. The air pressure operated pump for taking oil out of engines has re-surfaced - I couldn't find it last week.

KTM SXF 450 gone, bike stands gone, hydraulic bike stands gone, tyre changing machine gone, spare wheels gone, spare tyres gone. Twin axle box trailer being picked up Sunday, so I can reclaim the part of my drive where I used to do most of my car repairs or building kit cars. 

I bought a lathe, but decided I was just as poor as I always was - so I sold it. It lasted two weeks.

Just at a loose end wondering what to do next.

IMG_20180428_145957.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

jesus..............you could do anything in that shed..............

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

jesus..............you could do anything in that shed..............

It is big, you've even found the echo!

That is a fraction - lot more back left behind shelves with cans on. Three roll cabs, two top boxes and one middle box. All packed. Just lacking something to use them on.

I can't really touch my own car, but do mates and relatives.

Done Saab Hot aero x 2 - brakes, welded Nissan Micra back box (about an 8" hole), discs and pads all round on my eldest lad's Merc GLE. - 16 plate, one wheel stuck on with rust, Chevrolet Captiva front wishbones and roll bar, Ford Fiesta boot lock and fabricated a fishing trolley for a mate in last couple of weeks. Never taken a penny - never will. Electric and consumables are freebies. They never grasp that welding rods / reels or copper grease doesn't grow on trees. They also disappear when it comes to tidying up and cleaning the tools before they go back in the boxes.

ditchman - your comment made me laugh. You do just about anything - I am still looking for what to do.

Eldest broke his back - told he would end up in a wheelchair if he carried on - 500cc AMCA experts. Youngest broke tibia, fibula, collarbone and has arthritis in his spine. Both had to pack in on medical advice. 

Garage needs to be tidier in order to find tools. I keep coming across stuff I forgot I had.

Edited by Gordon R

I gave up motorcross and enduro after 10 years at it. Our bodies just can’t take it.

my dad sat me down about 8 years ago and said I have to stop. My body is wearing out to fast. I’d crawl into work some days after racing on a weekend. 

My spine is lacking fluid between the disks and after snapping my wrist, fingers, ribs in one crash I slowed up. I snapped my tib and fib at work 4 years ago and it’s scared me .

i sold all my bikes and gear except the clothing as it’s worthless. 

Now I have 4 kids filling up the garage

Edited by team tractor

Youngest suggested building another kit car, but I am slightly reluctant. He will pop round for half an hour a couple of times a week and I will be left with the rest. Thought of doing a two stroke CR500cc Honda in the aluminium frame moto-crosser. Thought of restoring an old British bike, but I honestly don't have the patience to finish one off to the level that they deserve.

I see ditchman's projects and think - brilliant, but he does them with an end product and usage in mind. Inspiration needed. :hmm: 

.......then?

ditchman - I like the way you say "Make a wood lathe". Do you mean actually fabricate one? The thought of making one never occurred  - I would have just bought one.

A shooting friend made an excellent tool trolley - I might have a go.

Edited by Gordon R

Street trackers & scramblers are all the rage now, so much so bike manufacturers are producing their own ‘custom’ bikes. If I had that workshop that is what I would make, from a Honda CR or a Maico. Even if you no have intention to ride it you could sell it on to fund the next project.

Dunkfield - I had been thinking along those lines. A kit car takes up a chunk of room, whereas a bike is a whole lot smaller.

Just got to start clearing again as it has got a bit messier. Bought another three boxes of tools the other night - sucker for "Made in USA". It has to stop, but the lure of Snap On, Husky, Craftsman, MAC, Williams, Vaughan, SK and many more was just too much. :lol:

Or even just restoring an interesting bike back to original, Kawasaki two stroke triple or Husqvarna motocross bike would be my start points.

I know about space, I built a few cars from the ground up, including a Lotus 7 road/race car, you need at least twice the footprint of the car to do those.

I am just finishing a motorcycle cafe racer build that was in the conservatory most of winter 

Search for 'barn find bikes' on ebay not 'loads more spanners i don't need' :oops:

Dunkfield - decent advice - especially about the spanners. I find it hard to walk past a bargain.

Husqvarna appeals - my youngest had a TC610, but valves cost £140 each (four for the one cylinder). Older two stroke seems better bet.

10703862_10204942291535799_8469113866824768225_n.jpg