Frustrating? Yes. Exciting? Yes. Tiring? Yes. Rewarding? Yes.

JDog

Today I was invited by Ginger Cat to have a look at a bean drilling with pigeons on it. The drilling was eight days old and pigeons had found it.

We had a long walk to our hide position which was an obvious one having watched the field for a while. A rotary, two dead birds and a dozen shells completed the decoy pattern which had to be moved twice in the first hour as pigeons couldn't get in as they were descending from a great height. We pushed the pattern out as far as we dare as the wind was directly in our faces and the pigeons were generally coming from behind.

In the three and a half hours we were there very few birds decoyed but we did see many hundreds passing overhead in both directions in groups of ten to fifty. They looked at the pattern but rarely came in so we had to take some long shots. We both spent a lot of time on our knees as the pigeons approached from high overhead and we wanted to keep out of sight. As I write this I have a stiff neck and a stiff back and I need a stiff drink to sort it. So occasional pigeons came within range and we picked a few off along with some corvids. Towards the end of the session pigeons started to land at the other end of the field and we called it a day with 24 pigeons and six corvids in the bag.

We earned every one of those birds, not a single one was easy.

Good to see jdog do a triple, In a week when the adjoining field is drilled and if that strong line remains (and it should), there will be a some potential.

Some had rape in their crops when I breasted them, a few were full of beans and only a couple empty. 

A very rewarding day. 

29 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I checked the field again today. Hundred birds or so feeding as before but coming  from the opposite direction. It will have to wait till Sunday now as I'm too busy. 

That would be better for decoying.

I have a feeling that the field behind us was already drilled. Did you ever enquire?

On 04/05/2018 at 19:42, motty said:

I thought this was going to be about a sexual escapade!

On 04/05/2018 at 20:23, Clodhopper said:

2 blokes getting stiff together in the countryside, sounds a bit Brokeback Mountainish to me!

At least you found some and by the sounds of it you will have shot some sporting birds.

See! It’s not just me! Somewhere Sid James is laughing! A fine report!