PW car sale or scrap wisdom

Ollieollie

Hello All,

So i no longer require my 2nd vehicle, it has been used solely for work(bricklayer), it a peugeot 307sw. A i its been a work car its not in the tidiest condition. The scrappy has quoted me £130 for it. For all the hassle i think i will go with the scrap man but as its a runner it seems a shame to scrap it but i cant see me getting much more than that selling it, if i needed it i would have continued to use it

155000 miles

Diesel

Cracked windscreen

Engine management light on but mechanic says the light coming on is the fault, no codes when plugged in

Your thoughts please.........

Ollie

Just now, Chris B. said:

I would scrap it, don't need all the hassle of advertising, waiting in for people that don't turn up, and then if you did sell it them coming back saying this is broke, that doesn't work. All for perhaps £100 more than the scrap man would give you.

I know your right chris, just seems a shame to scrap a working car

When I scrapped one I would have got less for it if I'd taken it to the scrapyard myself rather than let them collect it onto a trailor - dunno why. They also wanted to know if anything was missing from it before coming.

As Chris says, time you 'discount' for any issues found you'll not be much worse off - apart from annoyed by several tyre kickers commenting at every fault for a lower price no matter how low you set it at. Diesel has fallen out of favour for low mileage users.

I would say take the money and run.  I always buy good low mileage second hand and then drive them until they die, then to the scrap man.  £130 is not a bad price.  If you have a friendly(yeh! I know it is impossible)second hand car dealer, ask him where he gets rid of any buy ins because my local dealer has a couple of 'engineers' who buy these old mot failures and strip clean and sell the mechanicals for a living.

8 hours ago, Lord O War said:

I am sure a cracked windscreen is a fail and with the new MOT rules that come in soon so is the warning light.

I thought the crack had to either be huge or in the drivers more central vision. Small cracks also being pretty cheap and easy to diy fix. The engine management light one could wire in parallel with the oil pressure light to make it meet the new regs of having to come on with the ignition and then go off when started, assuming the instrument panel comes out easily enough.

I guess the key question is what is the difference in price you get likely to be and how long are you prepared to work to bring that home. Auto trader has a selection of 307s from £500-£1100, assuming a £500 sale a day fiddling to take home an extra £370 which would beat my day job by a good margin. 

Edited by Wb123

Facebook selling sites might be worth a go as that's what I used to sell my Xtrail, no interest from this site but had 6 enquiries on Facebook. 1 proper chancer, 3 people I wasn't sure were even in the country and 2 that were proper genuine. 2 Bulgarians turned up from Peterborough, 1 was a mechanic and knew what to look for, his mate was there as he spoke the better English, 30 minutes later car sold. :good:

Another vote for facebook here. I also sold my x trail on there. It had a few faults including the engine management light. Wanted £300 so stuck it on for £400. Sold to a latvian guy for £350 in about an hour. I also sold my patents car and a trailer on there in less than a day. Be honest and price it well and it will go easily, and there are no fees to pay.

Just sold my old work van on the market place with Facebook. I did get a bit more money than the scrapyard offered but I had over a dozen timewasters, before it sold.

I was starting to wish I had just taken it to scrap!

My brother in law used to do car accident repairs  for insurance companies and it was sweated labour. Very tight margins and lots of hassle and disagreements. Then he sold up and took over an old market garden with 3 acres in Cornwall.

now he buys scrap cars and dismantles them. He sells the bits on Ebay and he is making an absolute fortune. By the time any old car is separated into bonnets and bumpers, boot lids, doors, wings, starter motors, alternators, seats, ECUs brakes wheels tyres, cat converters,  switches, window motors, engines and gearboxes etc you are looking at  £3-5 grand per car and he is doing a couple a week when its working well. 

Don't sell your scrap cars too cheaply, they are actually worth more than you think

On 14 May 2018 at 22:36, Vince Green said:

My brother in law used to do car accident repairs  for insurance companies and it was sweated labour. Very tight margins and lots of hassle and disagreements. Then he sold up and took over an old market garden with 3 acres in Cornwall.

now he buys scrap cars and dismantles them. He sells the bits on Ebay and he is making an absolute fortune. By the time any old car is separated into bonnets and bumpers, boot lids, doors, wings, starter motors, alternators, seats, ECUs brakes wheels tyres, cat converters,  switches, window motors, engines and gearboxes etc you are looking at  £3-5 grand per car and he is doing a couple a week when its working well. 

Don't sell your scrap cars too cheaply, they are actually worth more than you think

This is my plan for the future too, I've worked out that a car at the end of its life is worth four times a much in parts compared to scrap value thanks to the internet. 

Edited by Pistol p