Solo

muncher

Friday arrived, and late afternoon saw Motty and I speaking on the phone. I went for a tour round to look for suitable fields to shoot. I found a couple of likely options one rape field that I shot last week for 41,with a lot of birds down feeding hard and a peas fieled with around 100 feeding on it. Motty found a couple of very promising rape fields and after a conflap we decided to spilt up with the option of joining each other if either field was not producing. I went out at  9 o'clock to the pea field to find not one bird down,so I watched for a while ,still nothing then the farmer came down for a chat after half an hour of chewing the fat a few pigeons had started to arrive, so I loaded up with 150 cartridges a rotory and four dead birds . I walked down one side to a dyke edge about 200 yards away from the roadway. I had to set up in the field as the dyke was too steep and deep to consider shooting from there. I set up a four  pole hide with the wind at my back and sun behind me, two on the rotory and two on sticks. Almost immediately pigeons came straight to the decoys and gave some very easy targets I soon had ten down and I propped their heads up on sticks . They mainly came in small groups and decoyed very well . Twelve o'clock I had 50 on the clicker. Motty phoned to say he was just getting into some, so he decided to stay put on his field.  After a lull I spotted a feral coming into the decoys,but it didn't look right , blimey that's  a woodie so I upped and dropped it just beyond the decoys. The pigeon had white ish wing tips from the pinions onward.I kept picking up birds but it was slowing up and I would have a wait before another flurry of birds would appear. I just got over the ton about 3.15 but it was now very quiet, I decided to give it until 4 but after picking up a couple more a large spayer came into the field, so I quickly packed upwith 102 on the counter, I picked up 101.

IMG_20180505_163327864.jpg
IMG_20180505_140741909.jpg
IMG_20180505_140728875_HDR.jpg

Edited by muncher
Puctuation

nice sport.............

just out of interest...where do your birds end up ?....do they go to France in the feather...or are they plucked and gutted.and trayed for the home market or abroad ...

just interested ....:hmm:

You have started to get amongst them now good and proper , was the pea field freshly drilled or were they poking through the ground ? , I have got two pea fields back to back in what is normally a good area for pigeons and they are now a good inch above ground and up to now I haven't shot a pigeon off it , they will start on them sooner or later and I hope its sooner rather than later .

P S ..... I have had one or two pigeons this year with a fair bit of White speckles over there backs and the end flight feathers , although at the moment it wouldn't bother me if they were all the colours of the rainbow as long as they produced some shooting :lol:

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

An excellent outing.

No doubt your wife would have preferred you to have been using some of the decorating materials on your garage floor rather than pigeon shooting.

No JD ,I was going to decorate this weekend but my good lady said not to as she is revising for a exam next week.yes it was very enjoyable day.

Marshman the peas are about 4 inches high they were drilled before the wet weather, not that I knew they had been.

3 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Nice report and a good bag. Interesting to see that you are finding birds a little earlier in the day. The drillings I have been watching of late have not had a bird on them until well into the afternoon.

The drillings i have are similar, the odd ones flighting but they only start dropping into the pattern mid afternoon