Waxoyl

JimLondon

Hello all

im starting to think about treating the chassis on my Isuzu trooper swb. After some research I’ve come up with waxoyl treatment or different paint treatments.

has anyone used either of the above, or is there another treatment out there.

good or bad points and any advice will be gratefully received.

thanks

jim

Ive used Waxoyl for about 25 years off and on. I saturated a Ford Orion in it in the early 90s to give it a fighting chance!

ive used black waxoyl on the inner wheel arches on my Frontera, after the mot this summer I intend to give the chassis etc a dose. 

Ideally you could do with access to a four post ramp. I use a rinsed out Schutz container and a Schutz gun with an extension pipe on it.

1 hour ago, Ricko said:

Ive used Waxoyl for about 25 years off and on. I saturated a Ford Orion in it in the early 90s to give it a fighting chance!

ive used black waxoyl on the inner wheel arches on my Frontera, after the mot this summer I intend to give the chassis etc a dose. 

Ideally you could do with access to a four post ramp. I use a rinsed out Schutz container and a Schutz gun with an extension pipe on it.

A good candidate for the old "Bob a Job" get someone else up to the eyes.

We do hundreds of new pick ups at work and have tried everything! 

The best coating for external chassis or underbody is dinitrol 4941, personally I prefer black, you can buy it on eBay in 1ltr shutz cans which just needs compressed air, it’s worth buying the gun as it will give a great finish. You can then buy aerosols for future touch ups. 

Waxoyl is a complete waste of time for treating outer parts of the bodywork chassis etc, anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they are on about! It clearly states on the outside of the tin for internal use, I.e. inside chassis and doors! 

If it was my truck I would do the following

1) remove all underbody trays, wheel arch splash gaurds and front or rear bumper which ever gives you access to the ends of the chassis

2) Wash the full underbody, put a hose or drain cleaner pressure washer up the chassis and wash the full inside of the chassis

3) allow the underneath to fully dry, use a heat gun on the chassis end to dry the inside of the chassis, it will be dry when the outside of the chassis it touch warm

4) Mask up the exhaust and prop shafts, and coat all the underbody, wheel arches and outer chassis with dinitrol 4941

5) coat the full chassis inner box section with waxoyl

6) reassemble and skoosh any assembly nut and bolt heads with cheap *** white spray grease in case you remove them in future

1 minute ago, johnnytheboy said:

Dinitrol 4941 is not a similar product to waxoyl, dinitrol May have a cavity wax in its range of products but it’s not 4941 

Sorry, I meant that they make rust prevention products 

That’s not a bad idea, I was in Iceland on holiday and chatting to the 4x4 boys there, they spray engine oil onto everything then drive along a fine ash road, do it several times and it costs the underneath! I’m not sure where you would find volcano ash about here though 

Depends how much of a cheapskate you are, my next experiment is going to be treating the underside with floor paint purely because I have about 25l of it given to me! I have also had good results from rustins red oxide which is from what I can tell is a cheap red zinc primer.

waxoil just hides rust and corrosion and only shows when the entire piece of steel is totally gone and falls off or goes through. 

51 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Depends how much of a cheapskate you are, my next experiment is going to be treating the underside with floor paint purely because I have about 25l of it given to me! I have also had good results from rustins red oxide which is from what I can tell is a cheap red zinc primer.

waxoil just hides rust and corrosion and only shows when the entire piece of steel is totally gone and falls off or goes through. 

It’s not a bad idea, we mixed up stone chip with hammerite and a little paint hardner and painted the rear body of a tipper truck and it gave a decent robust finish! Stonechip on its own isn’t water and oil resistant but with paint and abit hardner it wouldn’t be far away! 

hello, used that a lot back when the mini motors and old BMC cars rusted at the sight of rain more so after the winter, we use to drill holes in the panels and spray inside, those that know the old mini chassis was a rust magnet, we did find you had to clean the metal well before applying, but if moisture go under it still rusted, we used a pump up garden sprayer.  there is another way we used but very messy, old engine oil with some diesel, mix and put through a funnel sieve, wash under motor and let dry wait for sunny day like today, spray on using coveralls and gloves, drive on dusty track  

To be fair to waxoyl it has done some super work preserving old cars. Thirty odd years ago, my mate and I spent weeks squirting it into the box sections and doors on his old Humber Super Snipe when he first bought it and it has kept it preserved very well right up to now.