10 bore load data

Hi guys, I’m just about to start reloading for my 10 bore, I’ve got components and a few recipes but just wondered if there’s anything else about for

ched cases

cx2000

steel powder

tps wads 

steel shot

rto 

and any other info you think might be useful would be much appreciated 

thanks! 

2 hours ago, Essex fowler said:

I’ve got 1/8 felt packers and over shot cards

If you are roll turning your loads any data you use needs to have been worked up utilizing the exact same components as you use, taking existing published data for typical crimp closure full length cases and packing the loads with spacers to achieve acceptable closure can change things considerable regarding pressures .

RTO in theory at least can reduce pressures but myself i would rather trim hulls to get the required closure length rather than use packers, But if data you have to hand has been developed and tested with spacers then use it. But be careful when swapping seemingly innocent components and adding things to data that was never there on testing this  changes things and has the potential to  cause bigger problems.

Thanks fen tiger,

the packers are there just to lift the shot column in the wad. The recipe I’ve got is for crimp closers but I’ve been told I can safely add 4 grains of powder to it for rto. 

I was just wondering if anyone has any specific data for rto loads. 

This leaves me 10mm of plastic for the roll is that about right? 

2 hours ago, Essex fowler said:

Thanks fen tiger,

the packers are there just to lift the shot column in the wad. The recipe I’ve got is for crimp closers but I’ve been told I can safely add 4 grains of powder to it for rto. 

I was just wondering if anyone has any specific data for rto loads. 

This leaves me 10mm of plastic for the roll is that about right? 

Variations in cases Powders and components can lead to problems these days, add to this the nature of steel shot its clear to see why more and more get their loads tested even when close to published data, but in general it is accepted RTO can take more powder staying safe. But only real way of knowing is have loads tested, or start well under and approach the data powder max with caution is my advice. Spacers are in my opinion a faf about and every time if i was working a load up i would trim the cases rather than pack the wadding up, but thats just me some people might have other opinions.  I will say this though with confidence i personally have never seen a published load where a crimp closer was substituted by a RTO closure and everything else in that load remaining the\ exact same AND THE RTO completed Properly with no additional sealing etc,  CREATE more pressure than the same load typically crimp closed, Now i can not say the same thing where packers or spacers are added willy nilly as required.

Thanks again fen tiger for the input, you’ve definitely given me something to take away! 

I know what you’re saying and that is why I have had this load tested and it’s come back safe and consistent. I just wanted to know if there is any specific data for a rto for comparison and get the input of people more experienced than myself. 

Trimming cases IMHO takes away nothing more than a bit of case length which given the typical case life  expectancy saves nothing, i believe having the case a length that suits Your expected loads wad length with the general powder volume and enough to get a good RTO is far better to live with than spacing, and you are in general able to stay closer to published data expecting similar results this again you might not achieve with spacing which in itself wadding or not has the potential for problems if not tested. .

1 hour ago, Essex fowler said:

I’m not too worried about trimming the cases as I’m only looking to once fire them anyway but the recipe I’m working from does account for a filler in the wad, so in your opinion would I be better off doing away with the filler and trimming the wad and case? 

No in the case of that  load carry  on as in the data, but as I said personally I would rather use shorter cases say 3 inch where no fillers are needed.

You haven' said what you are shooting them in unless I missed it. Reason I say is I have a browning gold that will not recycle rto cases even trimmed down but is fine with crimps so I use a mec steel master. I know others who shoot the SP10 with rto no problems. My  load is 42 gns ssb 150, tps 3.5 inch wad, insert 1/8inch cork filler and 42 gms of steel shot. Crimp close. I used an extra gn of powder with rto. Using B shot both kill geese at reasonable ranges.

Ok, I noted there is one wrong line of thoughts here. DON'T TRIM THE CASE!

Doing so will only increase pressure in your shell compared to the data you have. The reduction in space and the  lower crimp will cause too much resistence and cause the powdre  to burn quicker causing a spike in pressure. Likewise a low coulumn will create an increase in pressure due to the increased vicinity of the column required, so,  you should stick to the number of filler suggested in the data to be safe and, as suggested, if you want to experiment, start very low but best to test your experiments

6 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Ok, I noted there is one wrong line of thoughts here. DON'T TRIM THE CASE!

Doing so will only increase pressure in your shell compared to the data you have. The reduction in space and the  lower crimp will cause too much resistence and cause the powdre  to burn quicker causing a spike in pressure. Likewise a low coulumn will create an increase in pressure due to the increased vicinity of the column required, so,  you should stick to the number of filler suggested in the data to be safe and, as suggested, if you want to experiment, start very low but best to test your experiments

And is presisely why i said with the load the OP quoted incorporating filler wadding he\ should load that load as is, in the case of any subsequent loads he may or may not decide to create develop and test, My advice is to trim . In theory pressures in a smaller hull will be\ higher as you say. But increase in shot and wadding volume too increases pressure\ and fold crimp typicaly more pressure than RTO, so it ballances out in the real world and any differences will be slight and nothing that all by itself could create any issues of significant consequence.

On 5/8/2018 at 20:38, Fen tiger said:

And is presisely why i said with the load the OP quoted incorporating filler wadding he\ should load that load as is, in the case of any subsequent loads he may or may not decide to create develop and test, My advice is to trim . In theory pressures in a smaller hull will be\ higher as you say. But increase in shot and wadding volume too increases pressure\ and fold crimp typicaly more pressure than RTO, so it ballances out in the real world and any differences will be slight and nothing that all by itself could create any issues of significant consequence.

true, there might not be a massive spike but will still affect the way the load patterns

Also, fillers (as in felt/cardboard filler) will not increase pressure and actually help reducing it by increasing the height of the pellets column.

However, back to the trim:  moving from a new hull to a once/twice fired might not have a massive impact and you're right, it might potentially be offset by leaving the charge the same and closing RTO but trimming  a 76mm to a 70mm will give you good 3-400 bar more.

again, might not blow up your gun (depending on the age, of course) but your hears might not be happy about it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2018 at 15:30, Essex fowler said:

Thanks again fen tiger for the input, you’ve definitely given me something to take away! 

I know what you’re saying and that is why I have had this load tested and it’s come back safe and consistent. I just wanted to know if there is any specific data for a rto for comparison and get the input of people more experienced than myself. 

did you get this load tested with the roll turn over ? where did the pressure and speed come in at ie BAR/V1@2.5mtrs as iv never found the ched 2000 primers that good with the 10g and steel powder with a crimp closer so I would of thought a rto is even worse .

On 22/05/2018 at 20:42, UK fowler said:

did you get this load tested with the roll turn over ? where did the pressure and speed come in at ie BAR/V1@2.5mtrs as iv never found the ched 2000 primers that good with the 10g and steel powder with a crimp closer so I would of thought a rto is even worse .

Yeah I had these tested with a rto

40 grains = 671bar & 1307 fps 

45 grains = 579bar & 1337 fps 

this was with 45 grams of BBB