Jump to content

HW100TK buying advice


Recommended Posts

Dear all,

Later this week I’m taking a look at a used HW100TK in .177 with a view to buying, but I’ve no previous experience with this gun so could use a bit of advice. 

The current owner says he bought it brand new about 18 months ago, put about 20 pellets through it to zero it in, then it went back in its box and hasn’t used it since. So, if this is correct and it’s literally ‘as new’ what sort of fps/power should it be doing....I’m planning to take my chrono along to run a few pellets through. 

Secondly, what should it have come with as standard....I assume a couple of magazines but what else?

Lastly is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks very much everyone in advance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely get it chronoed. I think virtually every HW100 I know knowledge of had gone over power after a bit of a run in from new. Mine personally ended up at 12.5 ft/lb after about a month and had to get wound down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for your replies everyone, that’s great especially the info about cylinders and power creep etc. 

It it sounds like good one in the sense that it’s brand new but at a discount...the downside being it’s spent it’s entire life and warranty period in its box, so if anything isn’t quite as it should be it’s too late to take it back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again everyone for the great help and advice. 

I’ve not been able to see the gun yet, but I’ve discovered it was made in 2014 according to the cylinder markings and serial number. 

So, it’s 4 years old and only fired a few pellets...does that change anything I need to look out for? 

How long do the seals last....at 4 years old with minimal use will they still be ok or might they need looking at?

I’m not looking for problems, just trying to think of every eventuality before seeing the gun in a few days. 

Thanks in advance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally im always a bit suspect of a gun thats almost new and hardley fired any shots. It screams "lemon " to me .

Id rather have a gun some one has had for years and done a few mods to and either competed with or hunted loads .Its more likey to be a gun that works (and is accurate ) and has done for a long time. And the sellers situation has changed. .

People buy new guns  shoot them and relalise the guns inaccurate or other . (Leaks etc ) and just decides to sell instead of fixing the issue .

I bought a bsa r10 .that was like new .

And the owner had only fired a few shots .

Yeah it only took me 20 shots to realise it was a total lemon of a gun too .

Got my money back within 3 hours. Of purchase. 

By comparison .the bsa scorpion i bought a couple of months ago .was around 9 years old and has obviously been used as you can see where it had camo tape on it .and a bipod and scope  etc .it obviously been someones hunting kit and they liked it enough to keep it. And modify it the there needs .

Ps its accurate and spot on .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a good un.

Not sure if how many shots it's fired is relevant.

My S200 has fired thousands and still blob on.

If you can, take it to a dealer for a check or view it with a mate with some air gun knowledge.

 

Edited by Robertt
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for all your help and advice guys.

Saw the gun today, it’s totally as new...even smelt new...

Put a few magazines through it, grouped nicely and chrono’d very consistently around 11ft lbs.

Came with all the bits it should have and I feel like I’ve got a bargain. 

The trigger is amazing, and I now see what people mean when they say ‘tac driver’.

Just need to work out it’s favourite pellet now....

Regards,

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these a few years ago now, even did the HFT world championship with it. Sold it and regretted it ever since. Mine chronoed over 12.5ftIb with heavy pellets so be careful there. I  think I remember mine loved to be fed with daystate FT pellets, more accurate than I could be. Good purchase! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 20:45, Ultrastu said:

Personally im always a bit suspect of a gun thats almost new and hardley fired any shots. It screams "lemon " to me .

Id rather have a gun some one has had for years and done a few mods to and either competed with or hunted loads .Its more likey to be a gun that works (and is accurate ) and has done for a long time. And the sellers situation has changed. .

People buy new guns  shoot them and relalise the guns inaccurate or other . (Leaks etc ) and just decides to sell instead of fixing the issue .

I bought a bsa r10 .that was like new .

And the owner had only fired a few shots .

Yeah it only took me 20 shots to realise it was a total lemon of a gun too .

Got my money back within 3 hours. Of purchase. 

By comparison .the bsa scorpion i bought a couple of months ago .was around 9 years old and has obviously been used as you can see where it had camo tape on it .and a bipod and scope  etc .it obviously been someones hunting kit and they liked it enough to keep it. And modify it the there needs .

Ps its accurate and spot on .

Ya full of it pal especially when you don’t know the guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 19:34, Iggy said:

Looking to pay about £550 gun only maybe?

No real way of confirming how many shots its fired, other than what the seller says. 

I’ve got a brand new hw100 and it’s had about 40 pellets through it if that mate.i bought it about a year and a bit ago because I lost my guns because of my step son.i even bought the big diving bottle for it to which has about 3 1/2 yrs test left on it.if you are interested I will take £750 for the lot and come with the new scope I bought to.ive lost interest in shooting since I lost my guns if ya interested I’m in Durham and won’t take a penny less.i oiled the stock as when you get them new the stock looks plastic as it’s not treated with anything.pm me if you are interested if you want the 5 gun cabinet to which is brand new with locking safe inside give me £850 for the lot.i paid £750 for gun alone £70 for scope and £239 for diving bottle and £160 for cabinet.so you are getting a proper bargain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I’ve got a brand new hw100 and it’s had about 40 pellets through it if that mate.i bought it about a year and a bit ago because I lost my guns because of my step son.i even bought the big diving bottle for it to which has about 3 1/2 yrs test left on it.if you are interested I will take £750 for the lot and come with the new scope I bought to.ive lost interest in shooting since I lost my guns if ya interested I’m in Durham and won’t take a penny less.i oiled the stock as when you get them new the stock looks plastic as it’s not treated with anything.pm me if you are interested if you want the 5 gun cabinet to which is brand new with locking safe inside give me £850 for the lot.i paid £750 for gun alone £70 for scope and £239 for diving bottle and £160 for cabinet.so you are getting a proper bargain.

Your full of your self. :sick:

Im offering sound advice .and an alternate view to ."newer is always better. " 

Your trying to get a sale. With bullying tactics. 

Good luck with that. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Your full of your self. :sick:

Im offering sound advice .and an alternate view to ."newer is always better. " 

Your trying to get a sale. With bullying tactics. 

Good luck with that. :lol:

I never bully never have and never will I’m offering him a bargain which you more or less say people are full of it so mine must be a lemon to then which is a 100% genuine case so don’t try and make it out I’m all for a sale as if that was true I would of put it up over a year ago pal.i couldn’t give a monkeys if it doesn’t sell for 20yrs as it will still be like brand new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see it both ways,in the past I have bought rifles that were described as almost brand new with a hand full of pellets through it and they turned out to be lemons. I have also bought rifles that had the same description and were immaculate rifles.

i very rarely sell rifles and the last time I did the lad who bought it tried to tuck me up. Unfortunately for him he was a well known part who tried it on with shooters all the time in my area. He would turn up have a brief look at the rifle pay and leave. A couple of days latter he would phone saying that there was some thing wrong with the rifle he liked it so much that he would keep it if the seller would re -fund X pounds.

All I can say is if you do buy second hand go over it with a magnifying glass ask if you can shoot it etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A rather common thing sumbags to do is .

They have a gun .say an air arms s410 .

And they b$gger it up by trying to tune it. ? .they buy yours .swap out the good stuff for the bad .and then return your now full of broken spanners back to you with a complaint. 

While fixing their own gun .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...