Thermal imaging/night vision add-ons

Chezney

Hi all,

i was wondering if anyone has had experience with non-dedicated or basic versions of these types of tech. By that I mean the NV kits that clip on to a normal scope and the thermal things that plug in to iPhone or the basic versions of thermal that are £300-400. Are they any good? Useable up to 300yds? Or no good at all? 

Cheers

Clip on digital can be awesome with the right scope (needs parallax adjustment really) and IR torch I have a ward D 700 and it will easily punch out to 300 yards with my black sun T20. If you fancy non in line i.e. the scree types that sit on top of the scope which tend to be cheaper there are quite a few cottage industry ones floating about that are really good and can do the same as they have the same type of camera.

Dave-G off here does some fantastic kits.

Plug in thermal for phones. chap ones basically forget it. If you want to see a bunny as a blob at the bottom of your garden maybe but decent kit you need to spend decent money i.e £2K+. I looked into it with the Pulsar QV30 which is budget end but would do the job for me and that about £1300. Even then the people who know their onions still say you would be better getting one of the pulsar helion for real long range identification and then you are in to the £2K teratory.    

Edited by Zetter

Have a 23 pulsar gives detection way out on foxes,bunnys ,deer ,etc and at 1100 quid is not too expensive .My perm has fields around 100m max width so is more than adequate but you can see sheep,cows alpacas and animals various upto 800m away where you wouldnt be taking a shot but would want to stalk in on .

The cheap units 3 to 600 quid all have 1 thing in common they get sent back as not fit for purpose theyre too basic .A lot of write ups went through before i got the Pulsar and im glad i did ,yes the Helions are better but thats irrelevant if you dont have that much spare cash the xq23 does a job very well  for the money atb