The best 4x4 by far

bostonmick

All four wheels of the Land rover in the same shallow damp ground and it was stuck. Had to get a tractor to tow it out. Done this job hundreds of times with the hilux and never a problem even In far worse ground conditions. Not impressed

_20180507_165908.JPG

Edited by bostonmick

If you ain't got traction or your bottomed out you ain't going anywhere, regardless of make, size, power or driver. 

In the case above your on slicks so no traction, and your tyres are perishing ! 

Me stuck on thick clay and slate, I could go forward but not reverse, I was wedged on the sump guard and lost traction in reverse. No way was I going forwards, just a tad too much of a drop the other side. 

20180507_191221-800x450.jpg

Edited by Dougy

I did say I have a hilux as well. The tyres are cracking but have almost full tread as this doesn't get used much. Road tread the same as the Toyota. Also the cracking would make no difference to traction. They don't run on the sidewalls. I won't fit off road tyres as I do mostly road in this and it's noisy enough without them. 

Edited by bostonmick

41 minutes ago, Dougy said:

If you ain't got traction or your bottomed out you ain't going anywhere, regardless of make, size, power or driver. 

In the case above your on slicks so no traction, and your tyres are perishing ! 

Me stuck on thick clay and slate, I could go forward but not reverse, I was wedged on the sump guard and lost traction in reverse. No way was I going forwards, just a tad too much of a drop the other side. 

20180507_191221-800x450.jpg

I agree but I was nowhere near bottomed out. The ruts were no more than 1.5inches. If I was up to the axles I would say fair enough. 

So how does that work if you hve no traction on all 4.... And your bottomed out ? 

Please explain cus I'm totally out of trying to  understand. 

Really I've no idea is it some kind of automatic tyre de-clogger and a lifting of the axle jobby.

You would only know you had no traction on all four if you had three difflocks and you were able to make the wheels turn at the same speed, otherwise you would be relying on the car trying to find traction electronically and it does not electronically turn all four wheels at the same speed so you would never know. 

There is quite a few videos on YouTube where the deliberately rev the car in mud and sand to get it stuck, then switch on the lockers on and drive out. 

One of the most amazing vehicles I drove was a hilux with arb air lockers! It was superb and would be the first modifications I’d do if I was ever lucky enough to own one! 

So how many sets do I need to mKe it a off road vehicle. Summer set. Autumn set for when it rains and a winter set for snow. Seems a lot of time changing wheels to go out for an hour. Never had to have anything other than normal tyres on the hilux to do this job whatever the conditions. 

57 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

So how many sets do I need to mKe it a off road vehicle. Summer set. Autumn set for when it rains and a winter set for snow. Seems a lot of time changing wheels to go out for an hour. Never had to have anything other than normal tyres on the hilux to do this job whatever the conditions. 

I have no idea Mick; you bought it! If you’re not happy with it then get rid. 

Got my Disco stuck once but it wasn’t down to the tyres; tractor nearly got stuck pulling it out! ?

I have two Defenders; both have muds on; I don’t have a problem either on or off road. 

I am not knocking the vehicle in itself. It has only ever let me down once a minor fault fuel filter housing cracked. 150 all good again. My criticism is whenthis vehicle left the factory it came out as a off road workhorse and it was on road tyres. So after some 30k is the new owners first job to throw the tyres in the skip and spend a further few hundred on off road mud plugs. Which are noisy and you really don't need anymore noise in one of these. Yesterday someone had used it and left it at the front of the yard so I threw a couple of bags of feed in and thought I would take it instead of the Toyota.. As a vehicle it does what I bought it for in the first place but just passing an opinion on a vehicle that I own. After 70 years of making these they only changed a very few minor cosmetic things. Why did they not keep up with the competition and go with a few electronic drive systems as most Japanese have and does it all for you. We're they just lazy or complacent. 

Edited by bostonmick

I don’t know what to suggest about the tyres Mick; some of the high end guns turn up here in Vogues and Sports which are both perfectly capable off road, but with the wrong tyres they struggle even on wet grass. 

I have Goodrich muds and General Grabbers muds on my vehicles; I can’t say I’ve noticed tyre noise on tarmac. All I can hear is the engine! 

Yes I to have seen these high end guns as you say in their top of the range motors. However most of them the only time they actually go off road is if they have to throw two wheels onto the grass verge when passing in country lanes. I won't bother with changing tyres I just won't use it for feeding in bad weather. 

Edited by bostonmick

I have BFG all terrains on my 4x4 sprinter van and they have been brilliant, the ko2 versions are snow rated as well. I was going to get muds but was told on wet and Ivey roads they can sometime not be to good on traction =, since the sprinter is usually empty then I opted for the all terrain versions. I would vouch for them, I haven’t owned the mud tyres so can’t say if the above is true or not, only the advice I got