How was your bank holiday weekend

getthegat

Good positive weekend all in all. Soph has had a limp for a day and my son ( with better eyes than me) spotted a thorn in a pad, which resulted in a trip to the vets, where a 1/2" long spike was pulled out. Soph was very good, got lots of snax and a bandage; today it's like it was never in there.

Went to a classic VW show near Lutterwurth to punt our wares, met potential new customers, some old ones and present ones. Good feedback and took a few quid in the bargain. Bashed my shin before leaving, stinging and tender today. Nice bit of bonding with middle son and good time with couple of customers/friends that traveled there and back behind us in their own camper and parked with us on our  pitch, showing off one of our engines in the back.

Nice chilled day at home with the missus today, dog walking this morning, tiny bit of garden work, good food and drinks,,,,yeah a nice bank holiday.

Just watched the snooker final.

The commentator described them as ordinary people.

Just before the winner was handed a cheque for £425.000 the poor runner up £185,000.

My wife on £10.35 an hour (NHS) now that's ordinary.

Edited by redial
Error

Good/bad. Not a bank holiday here, but it happened to be the weekend that duck season opened. Very few birds about and I missed a couple of easy shots, but did get a couple of difficult ones. Go figure as our American friends say. Came home with four birds after two days shooting. Pretty bad, but it was good being out.

Great weekend, happy wife and kids worked Monday night.

we spent Sunday afternoon messing around in sand dunes and throwing pebbles into the sea before an ice cream and chippy tea.

The only blight was the amount of glass and beer cans that had been dumped in the area, funny how folk manage to carry these things when there full but can't manage once there empty ??

Nice glympse into PW members lives. I used to be in catering, so understand about working when others are free to enjoy themselves, did many a bank holiday and Christmas day. Also know only too well about low pay and ordinary people, still on poor wage after 46 years, but mostly doing interesting, sometimes rewarding work, that can have its good points, though less than they use to be. The workshop has given me my shooting and provides escape, due to the perms I have gained by renting an old farm building instead of opting for an industrial site, it provides relaxation and space for the dog to be free ( I love watching her run and hunt) and all on land that I could never afford to own. Sun is streaming through our bedroom window, promising another lovely day, though today means getting dirty and fixing more vehicles. The morning walk with Soph' will be dry under foot, so no need for wellies, crops will be absorbing the suns nourishment and I reckon it could be a good harvest year. Soph will flush out a few pheasants and the anticipation of good shooting to come is creeping into me with ever increasing excitement. Maybe it's an age thing, but I so much more enjoy and need the sun these days, my moods and tolerance levels are better and I'm probably a nicer person to be around. Enjoy all?

Lovely weekend, not working for a change. Pheasant pen extension built Saturday and a BBQ on the shoot. Pony riding with my little girl Sunday followed by an afternoon at the 1000 guineas at Newmarket. Then sprayed my pen fences off yesterday, got new garden furniture and had a BBQ with the inlaws

Friday booked off work so went fishing on my local pond, then dinner in a nice Italian restaurant with my Mrs . Saturday didn’t do a lot but ate out again on the evening.sunday was my turn to organise a club Bowls event ?...went ok but still get the odd old **** complaining.Monday evening went bowling ( flat green) with my son and had a few pints after 

Friday off, so got the grinder out & cleaned up an old steel work tower that had gone rusty, then over B&Q to get some metal paint to paint it up thought best get a big tin as is a big tower £67 pound & a few hours later tower painted & only used inch & half of the tin :mad:. Then the rest of Saturday & Sunday up the tower replacing my old leaking cast iron guttering came down just a little bit pink :cool1:.

Edited by fse10

Had a lovely weekend , four days of non stop sunshine with clear blue skies , we were heading away from the coast on Sunday when 100s of people were heading towards it and on the local radio this morning the business people in the holiday industry were saying this was the best Bank holiday they have ever had , long may it continue .

52 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Friday off, so got the grinder out & cleaned up an old steel work tower that had gone rusty, then over B&Q to get some metal paint to paint it up thought best get a big tin as is a big tower £67 pound & a few hours later tower painted & only used inch & half of the tin :mad:. Then the rest of Saturday & Sunday up the tower replacing my old leaking cast iron guttering came down just a little bit pink :cool1:.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5699947/amp/The-secret-curing-sunburn-fridge-dermatologists-claim.html

This might help.

Shot clays on Saturday with the gf and we stopped off for a pub lunch, then met some friends at a beer garden for the evening. 

On Sunday I met my mate and we shot clays at a place I’ve not shot befor which was good, then afterwards we went decoying, as we setup hundreds of crows lifted off the field (never to return lol) I had 2 corvids both dropped on first barrel, and I missed another with both shots! 

On Monday I went to my other job at a kids home and took out a kid who’s very reclusive and barely leaves his room, I took him out to the North Somerset show, and we shot some clays (third day running lol) although only a couple! I had a go of a pump action (need to buy one now!!) and then spent the evening working upto 9pm, before picking my lodger up from the pub on the way home! Not a bad weekend! 

Friday being POETS day I finished early and went for a coffee in local gallery where I’d just sold a painting for £750.00. After commission and tax at 20% I will get a tad under £400.00, but it’s bwtter than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick. OH finished early also, then after we hung a gate for her parents we sat on top step with a G&T and watched the sun go down. 

Hd been asked to make up a team for NGO shoot up on Sat’ but couldn’t be bothered. OH and me went to another gallery for coffee before on to a garden centre where we bought a half barrel for a herb garden, then met up with friends for yet another coffee. On to Rheged for materials then home.

Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe on Netflix. Good film, the scariest bit of which was when OH would jump! 

Sunday morning up to shoot with dog as OH working, put up trail cam then threw sticks into river for dog to cool him down, erected 6 man tent for landowners wife and kids.

BBQ at local pub fundraiser for village hall in evening and a couple of drinks in the sunshine with friends. Drew three winning tickets in raffle but only claimed one of them.

Monday up early and out with dog, OH working again so after coffee with her parents got on with artwork, bit of barn painting on bits OH’s parents couldn’t reach, more artwork, through to gallery for yet another coffee where OH works and let her know that a gallery she approached in Kirkcudbright wants to see her work, which is great as we’re going there in a couple of weeks but it now becomes a legitimate business trip for which we can claim elements of it back. ?Back home, more artwork, more G&T’s once OH back home. 

Conracted kids to see they were ok and had had a good weekend, and that’s it. ?

Edited by Scully

Worked Saturday, up at 730 Sunday morning to set the clay shoot up , shot the sporting and then a round of skeet , sunburn and a couple of beers in the village pub near the shoot.

Monday tried to get some interest off the kids for a hike, eventually did 10 miles up and down Kinder Scout on my own, more sunburn and a boot full of mud.
Blew an injector seal on the ML on the way back, diesel smoke coming out the bonnet and an engine sounding like a steam train drew some weird looks .
Good times !

Friday afternoon was spent at my shoot's annual simulated driven game clay shoot, followed by a 3-hour drive down to Somerset. Had a great weekend down in Somerset with my wife and hounds, staying with friends. Went down to Bideford to see other friends and their pack of cockers on Saturday. A heavy sea mist came up the Torridge to spoil the weather. From Bideford we went to Great Torrington to see a four day old litter of cockers, one of which my wife is interested in, a golden bitch pup.

A lazy Sunday morning with a full English, and then stroll down to the Ring of Bells in Compton Martin for a fantastic cheese & cider fayre, where copious amounts of cider were consumed under the broiling sun followed later that evening by gig in the cider tent by the Feeling (actually, very good) and Sophie Ellis-Bexter, who also judged the dog show earlier in the day along will Julia Bradbury (I didn't realise it was possible to be so far up your own ***** without disappearing - D list celebs and their entourages, hey :rolleyes: ).

Even the drive home on Monday was good until we hit 10 miles out from home. That last bit took over an hour to do.

Edited by Penelope

29 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Friday afternoon was spent at my shoot's annual simulated driven game clay shoot, followed by a 3-hour drive down to Somerset. Had a great weekend down in Somerset with my wife and hounds, staying with friends. Went down to Bideford to see other friends and their pack of cockers on Saturday. A heavy sea mist came up the Torridge to spoil the weather. From Bideford we went to Great Torrington to see a four day old litter of cockers, one of which my wife is interested in, a golden bitch pup.

A lazy Sunday morning with a full English, and then stroll down to the Ring of Bells in Compton Martin for a fantastic cheese & cider fayre, where copious amounts of cider were consumed under the broiling sun followed later that evening by gig in the cider tent by the Feeling (actually, very good) and Sophie Ellis-Bexter, who also judged the dog show earlier in the day along will Julia Bradbury (I didn't realise it was possible to be so far up your own ***** without disappearing - D list celebs and their entourages, hey :rolleyes: ).

Even the drive home on Monday was good until we hit 10 miles out from home. That last bit took over an hour to do.

Just about to report this post!

Didn't know you had gone down there to appear on an episode of CountryFile!

1 minute ago, Richie10 said:

Just about to report this post!

Didn't know you had gone down there to appear on an episode of CountryFile!

She was there in an unofficial capacity, comical really. Friend of the pub owner, some music bigwig.

It's great pub though, get all sorts turn up there, Kylie, Cold Play, Duran Duran. The Stereophonics did a gig there a while ago that blew the roof off the place by all accounts.

Spent all day Sunday on Grafham water and only got one tap all day, mate got one and I blanked:unhappy:, used same method I did on Friday when I bagged up with six fish:no:

On Monday the memsahib and myself went to Kings Lynn to watch banger racing and it was brilliant. Very spectacular.

There was some Reliant Robin racing too and that was hilarious, the fastest of them all by a long way was an old Regal saloon, or what was left of a saloon. Another one was rolled three times but still kept going, it was just like real life cartoon as there was less and less of it as it kept going.:lol:

Having owned several Reliant's in my time I was very impressed with the speed and drifting skills.

A great-nephew of my wife's will be racing on 5th August so we're already looking forward to that trip.:good:

For a change, I didn't really do anything ... bliss !!

Typically doing odd jobs till 10 30 ... refurbished a bench, and made my own beeswax polish for interior furniture, did a 25 mile cycle ride ... 

Then enjoyed the 3 cloudless days ... only distraction was the sound of someone decoying on drilling nearby ... but too hot for me. Didn't even have a go at the clays. 

Scolopax i worked building a Ekofisk platform for that field , many years ago now in either the Hadrian yard on the Tyne iirc or the Kavaerner yard on the Tees as i worked in a few at that time as there were lots being built at the time.