The perfect late spring day for decoying.

JDog

Mightymariner and I had a day out today looking over some of his permissions. Within the past eight days I have been out with Clodhopper and Ginger Cat so that makes most of my Lincolnshire buddies with whom I have had some sport recently. One problem will be to find some for Aga Man as he has much better lines than I do, or even Wilksy if he would just stop being so rude about me.

The land we looked over was as flat as the proverbial pancake, there were no towns within miles, nor were there any large woods to speak of, but there were pigeons. We passed a field no more than 1.5 miles from Clodhopper's house with 300 pigeons on it, then at the other side of the road was another field with 150 pigeons on it. MM must have been confident of finding some elsewhere so we only made a half hearted attempt to find out who owned the land. We called in on a farmhouse with a sign reading 'caution cats' or something similar. I knocked on the door and a Lady was having her lunch and when she opened the door the most putrid smell of cat pee emanated from the room. I almost gagged. Only a true cat lover who lives amongst cat pee could tolerate that stench.

We pushed on and saw two lots of drillings with birds on but we had promised ourselves to look for pea drillings so we drove on to the coast. No peas had been drilled so we retraced our steps and went to the second field of drillings. Birds were all over the place, not huge numbers but enough to set up for. We chose hawthorn bushes 30m apart for our hides, had a small pattern of plastics in front of each hide and the rotary very close in in between us. We were in the shade with a 15 mph wind from behind.

In the first hour we saw lots but only shot ten, in the second hour matters went slightly mad and we shot something like thirty five, and in the last hour decoying slowed up and we shot another eleven to end up with fifty six pigeons picked.

During the session I saw a Cuckoo over the pattern, a Red kite, an Egret and was serenaded by a Reed warbler in the rushes just behind my hide.

thumbnail_20180508_165258_Saltfleetby3.jpg

thumbnail_20180508_165312_Saltfleetby2.jpg

thumbnail_20180508_175911_Saltfleetby1.jpg

Edited by JDog

A great read and the last paragraph alone made it worthwhile being out.

Please don't worry about finding and sport for me, I have been very lazy with my pigeon shooting this year, but a few txts from farmers this week means I will make a start in the next couple of days.

10 minutes ago, motty said:

You do seem to get about with a variety of friends. You are a very popular chap. Well done for getting another good bag.

i dont think somehow he will be counting the lady with a watersport problem as one of his future friends...