Nuts and Bolts

Medic1281

Hi, with so many engineering types in here I figure someone will be able to point me in the right direction. 

I’m looking for an assortment of metric size nuts and bolts for my workshop/man cave. I like the idea of buying an assortment box and then just replacing the ones that run out as and when. There seem to be loads of choice on auction sites, but I can’t help but worry they are cheap and soft materials. Can anyone recommend good quality nuts and bolts, or where to get them from? 

Screwfix are as good as any. If you just need a selection its worth buying a few packs of assorted sizes in the range you normally use. You can preorder online for collection to save a wasted trip, have them delivered or check stock online before going. If they are out of something they can normally get it in for next day.

12 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Screwfix are as good as any. If you just need a selection its worth buying a few packs of assorted sizes in the range you normally use. You can preorder online for collection to save a wasted trip, have them delivered or check stock online before going. If they are out of something they can normally get it in for next day.

I bought screws, nuts and bolts from Screwfix. I also bought some from companies adverising on the internet (Ebay etc)

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

I’ve bought wood screws from screw fix and they seem good. The cheap nuts and bolts I’ve bought online previously appear to be made from cheese, that are so soft! I assume you’ve no issues with the screwfix ones? 

No they've been fine. OH uses them for his carpentry and construction with no problems.

Do u not have any decent ironmonger's near u??

Got quite a few near to me and u can buy bolts individually in most sizes, i usually just buy a bag of 100 nuts/washers or spring washers in the more common sizes.

Suppose it deoends wot ur doing with them, if ur alaways using similar sizes of bolts.

With me i can be all over the place anything down to 6-8mm dai up to 8" long coach bolts.

While handy to have odds and **** lying about i prefer just buying them at the right size when i need them.

Althou i've usually got enough lying about to bodge something up

55 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Do u not have any decent ironmonger's near u??

Got quite a few near to me and u can buy bolts individually in most sizes, i usually just buy a bag of 100 nuts/washers or spring washers in the more common sizes.

Suppose it deoends wot ur doing with them, if ur alaways using similar sizes of bolts.

With me i can be all over the place anything down to 6-8mm dai up to 8" long coach bolts.

While handy to have odds and **** lying about i prefer just buying them at the right size when i need them.

Althou i've usually got enough lying about to bodge something up

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know of any ironmongers near here, doesn’t mean there aren’t any though. I know what you mean by buying just the ones you need, but I’d still like an assortment in the shed to get me going and to go to for the odd one. 

Some welders/fabricaters/engineers or steel merchants have a great selection of stuff.as well as tool centres some builders/trade suppliers

Not the nearest 1 but in next town has almost everything u could possibly want and loads of stuff i never knew existed afore i went there.

Often the prices are far cheaper than screwfix or BQ etc, sometime the big 'cheap' brand stores are not as cheap as u think

If you are thinking of using them outdoors, why not buy stainless?

You can get mixed metric sets, large and small sizes

Not very much more expensive than mild steel and tougher.

I would agree with Snoozer's recommendation on Kays Fasteners - used them many times

Decent bolts etc should have a number on them relative to their tensile strength - 8.8 for example. I tend to buy about 50 of each common thread i.e. 5,6,8 and 10mm but all about 100mm long then I simply cut them to size - for this you need "full threaded" bolts.

Was also going* to add in ‘Wilko’, the wife dabbles in upholstery and some of those pieces are often missing screws or bolts so went to Wilko and filled ( spent ages aligning screws and with bolts I put on as many nuts along the shaft as possible and same with washers to maximise the amount I can fit in the bag, cheeky I know but the checkout girl always smiles at my attempts.

They are of course at he cheaper end of quality, but suit my wife’s purpose

Another Kay’s Fasteners fan here, I never use steel if I can use stainless, my motorcycle is built entirely from their bolts and nuts. I always over order so now have a decent stock of all the common sizes. Pro bolt are also great but probably a bit OTT for what is being discussed here.

i was fairly lucky a few years ago ...i was at the acle sale and dropped on to a job lot for £15 quid....as i was taking it away the foreman said "that small pallet is yours as well...(which i didnt know)...it had 4 wooden boxes on it and each wooden box weighed about 1/2cwt.......all full of nuts and bolts...it was from a closing down sale clearout of a small engineering workshop......it had every single type of nut and bolt you could think of...

i tipped them out onto the shed floor and spent 4 days on my hands and knees sorting them out ..................that was several years ago and im still using them every day..........

On 10/05/2018 at 10:19, ditchman said:

spent 4 days on my hands and knees sorting them out ..................that was several years ago and im still using them every day..........

The nuts and bolts, Ditchy?

Or your hands and knees? :hmm: 

LS

PS: I pottered around an ironmongers in Stony and just loaded up with a bundle of fastenings and, most importantly rawl plugs of various types and applications. 

I don’t often struggle to find a screw, but I never seem to have quite the right plug.

18 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

The nuts and bolts, Ditchy?

Or your hands and knees?  

LS

PS: I pottered around an ironmongers in Stony and just loaded up with a bundle of fastenings and, most importantly rawl plugs of various types and applications. 

I don’t often struggle to find a screw, but I never seem to have quite the right plug.

I use wood if I do not have the correct size rawl plug, can be whittled to size or use kebab sticks and just snap to length. :good: