Which disposable razor?

PPP

I can get 3 months everyday use out of a Gillette fusion cartridge using a razor pit.

The AAA vibrating handle (fnarr) gives a close and smooth shave and the funny reverse side trimmer is great for under the nose hair without taking a nick out of your face. 

My tip - use a quality brush and hard soap to get your foam and shave in the shower in hot water / steam.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a lad, an old boy gave me a straight razor. Carbon steel, really thin and @#£&£#@ Sharp, it was old, ivory handle, like something from a Gangster film. If you looked at it wrong, it would cut you. Only tried it once, one stroke down my cheek. I washed it, dried it, oiled it and back in its case. It scared the %%%%# out of me. Cartridge razors for me. Blades from evil bay.

Razorpit fan here. I bought one after the initial advice from this site a good few years ago. I can usually get a month out of a Tesco Home brand cartridge, both Wilkinsons and Home Bargains sell a very similar type of blade, £1 for 4 at the moment in Home Bargains.

Cheers

Aled

Good old Merkur safety razor then finish off in the shower with normal soap and any old cheap chuckaway jobby shaving against the "grain" - steam seems to lift the hair. Used to be a fan of the Aldi/Pit combination but the blades seem to have become less sharp and softer over the years to a point where 2 shaves and they were toast.

Edited by bruno22rf

I bought a DE razor and the company sent me a free cut throat razor. Yeh free stuff says I, result. After a while I plucked up the courage to try it. So first I had a gentle practice to get the movement right. No probs here I thought how hard can this be.

Got soaped up ready to go bloody thing touched my cheek and the soap turned red. 

Ended up with a slight scar on my cheek. Bathroom looked like a massacre had taken place and it got binned .Nnever again what a total tool 

2 hours ago, Wing it said:

I bought a DE razor and the company sent me a free cut throat razor. Yeh free stuff says I, result. After a while I plucked up the courage to try it. So first I had a gentle practice to get the movement right. No probs here I thought how hard can this be.

Got soaped up ready to go bloody thing touched my cheek and the soap turned red. 

Ended up with a slight scar on my cheek. Bathroom looked like a massacre had taken place and it got binned .Nnever again what a total tool 

You’re braver than me, lve had a cut throat razor for a few years and never dared try it. Given how many lacerations my early attempts with a de razor inflicted, a cut throat would probably live up to its name.

Don't get the fear of a straight - I have a couple, not used in a while - but that's more due to being lazy rather than anything else.

like with a DE, its a technique. You just have to be more awake when you use them.

1) very hot water

2)stretch the skin

3) Razor must be sharp - but not have a wire edge. A good strop is important.

4)its all in the angle and the attack - blade very close and nearly flat to the face, about 10-15 degrees off the cheek. NOT at 90 degrees like the movies...

5) a solid grip and decent fine motor skills are a plus...

5)Steady, confident strokes 90degrees to the blade - any movement forwards or backwards along the blade will skin you. Stop if you meet resistance.

6)finish one pass, then re-lather for another go - don't be tempted to keep running the razor over the same area.

7) The chin and 'tache area are difficult. You quickly get why facial hair was big back in the day...  

2 hours ago, Lord v said:

Don't get the fear of a straight - I have a couple, not used in a while - but that's more due to being lazy rather than anything else.

like with a DE, its a technique. You just have to be more awake when you use them.

1) very hot water

2)stretch the skin

4)its all in the angle and the attack - blade very close and nearly flat to the face, about 10-15 degrees off the cheek. NOT at 90 degrees like the movies...

5)Steady, confident strokes 90degrees to the blade - any movement forwards or backwards along the blade will skin you. Stop if you meet resistance.

6)finish one pass, then re-lather for another go - don't be tempted to keep running the razor over the same area.

7) The chin and 'tache area are difficult. You quickly get why facial hair was big back in the day...  

You say “don’t fear the straight” (which sounds very wrong). And then list a load of very scary instructions, I will not be cutting my head off any time soon.

4 hours ago, Lord v said:

1) very hot water

2)stretch the skin

I read this and my face started bleeding again  ??

I thought "What's this Razorpit people keep mentioning?"  Got one from Amazon for £12 on Friday, and have tried it on my duff Gillette Fusion blades……. Just like (almost) new again!

Thanks guys, I'll save a fortune on the back of this thread?

Merkur futur here and also mulhe R41 along with a number of straight razors. 

Cant beat DE razors for value. If you buy blades in bulk you can get the price down to 7p a blade. Favourites are Astra green and for something more mellow Voskhods. 

Feather blades although super sharp always leave a lot of irritation. 

Loads of info online to read if you fancy getting into it. Takes some getting used to but keep at it and you’ll have the cheapest best shaves you’ve ever had.

until you get into straight razors then you’ll get carried away..

Another fan of the Murkur 38C

Since the original PW thread about double edge safety razors I’ve saved loads, so far my purchases are just two Murkurs, two badger bristle brushes, four pots of soap and two packs of 100 blades!

One of the Murkurs is a 34C and lives in my travel bag along with one soap and a brush.

I think that probably works out to less than £20 per year!

• 4 months later...
On 15/05/2018 at 19:01, KB1 said:

I thought "What's this Razorpit people keep mentioning?"  Got one from Amazon for £12 on Friday, and have tried it on my duff Gillette Fusion blades……. Just like (almost) new again!

Thanks guys, I'll save a fortune on the back of this thread😁

Sorry guys for bringing this one up again.....not.

I'm now onto my 7th blade since last posting, as opposed to what would have been my 57th blade if not using the Razorpit, recommended on here.

It's astounding that I've saved more than £200 in 4 months by just spending £12 on this gadget!  Even more astounding is realising just how much I spend on shaving every year!!!!

Tom Hanks must have saved a fortune when he spent all that time with 'Wilson'😎