Which soft roader

Dazza9t9

Good evening people. I am after some help

and it is another “what car” thread. 

I am in need of you good people for my next car. I have w horrible feeling my 04 xtrail with 173k is failing!!

so I need a be vehicle and would like to stay with a soft roader. I drive 60-80 per day commute so it needs to be as economical as the diesel xtrail with similar tax.

i do take it “off road” However it is mainly farm tracks, fields etc

as i have said I have the 04 xtrail, I’ve got AT tyres for winter months and I have put the pedders lift kit on it. It’s served me well and when it does give up the ghoast it I did stick with another xtrail, at least I can swap my bits on to it.

My xtrail has not been without fault and some times a change is nice.. I do worry another won’t live up to this one too.

one that really has caught my eye it’s the Jeep Patriot. I’ve read some reviews and to be honest the reviews are all over, either brilliant or terrible. Does anyone have experience of them?

ill also look at the RAV4 and vitara.

il spent £3000-£4000ish (given the miles i put on it and all the rubbish I put in the boot I don’t want to spend any more really / I also have a 2 seater project in the garage)

id love a L200 or similar however they are just to heavy on juice.

so prob what I can see I can get a 2004 xtrail with about 60k on the clock or a 2008 Patriot with similar miles. I’ve not stated looking at the RAV4 or grand vitara yet.

certainly keen on people’s views on the Jeep.

I am now on my second RAV4. I ran a 2006 manual diesel for 3 years putting about 90k miles on it without any repairs other than a water pump. Finally chopped it in for a 2011 reg diesel 3 years go which I still have, with now 52k on the clock. The current one has the multi function gearbx, so I can stick in D and go, or paddle shift on the steering column, or push the gear change lever back / forward. The early 2006 version was returning 42 - 44 mpg the current one is not as good, averaging around 35 - 36 mpg. No problems with the current one and servicing costs are very cheap compared with the 2 LR Disco`s that I had previously. Both the previous & current one`s have diff lock plus plenty of room in the boot for 3 Springers.

I put a set of General Grabber AT2s on my current one and it doubles as a work car and off-roader when I am picking up or out shooting. Hasnt got the ground clearance of the Discovery but it doesnt leak its bodily fluids all over the drive way or cost me an absolute fortune every time its serviced or comes up for MOT. The diesel engines are pretty bomb proof and dont have rubber belts that require changing. They also dont seem to get the dreaded rust bug that is the death knell on to many Land Rovers.

Plenty of them about at sensible prices. High spec versions have leather seats & there are buttons on my current one I haver never even used.

Edited by JJsDad

Thank you JjsDad I’ll certainly look at the rav4

I fell out of love with Land Rover when I had a ranger rover sport, nothing but trouble with it. We have a 2017 disco sport at work and it spends far far to long in the garage, it’s embarrassing how much it’s there.

i much prefer my jap stuff, as much as the Jeep did catch my eye.

as for load, I’ll need to load 2 kids in the back and a dog in the boot and like I said most of my driving is commuting A roads to work. When it is off road it’s nothint to taxing.

saying that when we had the heavy snow I went off road with the xtrail and with the AT tyres and raised suspension I was pleasantly surprised with how well it did

ill make sure RAV4 is on my research list next

10 hours ago, Dazza9t9 said:

ill make sure RAV4 is on my research list next

With your budget, you should be able to get a pretty decent Mk 3. My only irritation with my current one (Mk 4) is the lack of a spare wheel. Its the normal cost cutting trick of no spare, but you get a squirty can of sealant & a pump. Thats fine if you get something small right through the tread but hopeless if you get a flint or something cut the side wall. To be fair, I havent had a puncture for about 4 years and that was a roofing clout that went through the tread and was repairable, but there is always that nagging doubt when I am off the beaten track that I could damage the side wall & get stranded. However, its swings & roundabouts; on my Mk 3 (with spare wheel on the rear door) the door would not open a full 90 deg. The restriction in opening was due to masking of the RH rear light when stationary at night. Having no spare wheel, my current one opens the full 90 deg. 

In normal use the lack of 90 deg opening is not actually a mega problem, but when loading a fully loaded fishing rod bag it became a bit of a shuffle to get it in around the door & headrests.

Honda CRV diesel  ??

I have had both petrol and 2.2 diesel versions, both auto. Only time either has failed to start was when I had left the interior light on. My current diesel model is far more economic that the 2.0L petrol version it replaced.  Around town 38mpg., on a journey  46mpg. I have yet to get stuck on a shoot day, albeit on farm tracks and grass/stubble fields. I did get out of a very muddy gateway last season, that saw 2 Rangey's stuck, but I put it down to their road tyres and driver error.  My petrol CRV replaced a diesel X Trail too. 

My other half has had a rav 4 and now an outlander.  The rav was fine economical and reasonably nippy. Fine for 2 children and 2 dogs.  The outlander is more refined and works well for us as it’s a little bigger than the rav.  As you’d expect with jap no problems really to speak of other than usual servicing

2 minutes ago, al4x said:

My other half has had a rav 4 and now an outlander.  The rav was fine economical and reasonably nippy. Fine for 2 children and 2 dogs.  The outlander is more refined and works well for us as it’s a little bigger than the rav.  As you’d expect with jap no problems really to speak of other than usual servicing

My son in law drives an Outlander. He recently sat for 2 hours in a motorway service station awaiting the return of the AA with a new tyre. Apparently they can not even get a space saver wheel under the rear floor, thanks to the batteries  !  Until that happened I thought they were a nice vehicle.  As and when I change my vehicle, I will make certain it at least, has a space saver wheel and tyre. 

19 minutes ago, al4x said:

Ahh we have a diesel, so 7 seats and a spare, the rav you just used to get a can instead of a spare

If it had no spare, it would stay on the forecourt  !   He had hit a pothole on the slip road onto the motorway, but by the time he had managed to make the hard shoulder safely, no bloomin can of sealant was going to fix it  !

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, Westley said:

If it had no spare, it would stay on the forecourt  !   He had hit a pothole on the slip road onto the motorway, but by the time he had managed to make the hard shoulder safely, no bloomin can of sealant was going to fix it  !

My brother in law did the same in a free lander 2. We had to leave it sat on a Jack for an hour whilst we headed of 15 miles to buy a new tyre!

I currently run a Mitsubishi outlander on 08 reg it does have spare all be it a space saver.

We have had a 2001 rav4 for 3 years that I use for all my shooting. No serious off roading but goes over the fields and along the tracks just fine. Excellent value for money. Was also a godsend in the snowy weather. Getting a bit tired now but has sailed through each mot and needed nothing more in 3 years than replacement discs and pads all round which I did on the driveway. Can't recommend them enough.

I drive a Volvo XX90 and it’s a great car. Bought my wife a travail today Kadjar same underpinnings as a Nissan Qaushqai but a bit bigger bootvanx more legroom. 16dci does very well and powerful enough to not feel underpowered on any road. 

If your budget is less than the cost of if the Nissan or Renault then the Dacia duster was surprisingly good. 

Edited by figgy

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2018 at 20:14, Dazza9t9 said:

Yellow bear. Was that petrol or Diesel?

on paper the diesel is marginally better than the xtrail

On paper... you said it right there lol. New jeeps are pretty shocking, can't remember which model it was but last year possibly year before they broke down on average every 2k miles from new