Foglight proposal

spandit

Should cars be fitted with rear foglights that are only activated below 10mph? If it's foggy enough to need a light then you shouldn't be driving much faster anyway and so often I see cars a long way ahead because there are thin patches of mist around and the driver has switched on the rear fog light which is really distracting

You might not be aware of how foggy it is until you meet another car. Fog can be patchy - okay when you get in the car but thick a few miles ahead. I agree rear fog lights can be distracting but surely help reduce accidents. The idiot driving too fast may be the one that rear ends your car.

Rear fog lights are most distracting when switched on in rain when they shouldn't be used anyway.

No.

These have been around for some 50 years or so. When introduced in Germany, the legislation on their use was issued PDQ and made perfect sense - partially for the reason you mentioned. Here in the UK, as ever, anything goes. It would be the same as doing away with indicators because no one uses them to indicate going left at a roundabout. Baby bathwater.

Edited by wymberley

Definitely not, until recently my commute involved a frequently foggy section where if anything they seemed beneficial if used far more liberally than at a strict 100m visibility threshold. Where fog was often very patchy one got far better advance warning seeing cars ahead go from two tail lights to one fog then disappear, making it clear fog was ahead not a turn in the road.

Rear fogs are probably not used enough around here at least, front fogs on the other hand are horrible dazzling things which seem to be used far too often. That said I have followed a few cars with rear fogs mounted very low that seem to produce a similar effect. 

At the current threshold of being supposed to put tears fogs on at 100m visibility in theory one can still stop from 70mph in the area one can see to be clear. A 10mph threshold would be crazily low in my opinion. 

My view is that they just allow the insane idiots who drive far to fast in the conditions anyway to still behave in the same way.   Like this 'fashion' these days to drive in perfectly clear weather with headlights on and yes, I know some modern cars are set so the headlights come on the instant the ignition is switched on. If you can't see my Land Rover coming in broad daylight without me having the headlights on then you should not be driving or should not be on your phone, texting. 

Drove back down the A46 on Saturday evening and between Newark and Leicester the steady light rain turned into a downpour and within minutes the concrete surface was awash and spray reduced visibilty to less than 100yrds.  I slowed down to about 40mph amd put on my lights but still had total idiots coming past me at warp speed,  some I estimate 80mph.

Now I don't hang about and my cruise control if traffic density allows will be set at 70mph and I always drive at the maximum speed conditions and laws allow.

...quote.... if police nicked anyone..... don't make me laugh. What police?   Saturday I drove 180 miles and did not see one patrol car.      The night I retired (1990) we put out 4 small local patrol cars single manned, 2 divisional cars double manned and two traffic patrol cars, covering just one Division (Solihull, West Mids) in addition once paperwork completed our Sergeant and Inspector would also be out patrolling with us.  If my memory serves I believe that night we finished with two staying bed and breakfast in our de lux accomocations.

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I always drive at the maximum speed conditions and laws allows

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Saturday I drove 180 miles and did not see one patrol car. 

And the day you go over you will almost certainly see one or be seen by one  -  **** law:/:lol:

I really don't mind fog lights,  its the plonkers with no lights that get me, and its becoming more common because a lot more cars have LED dash displays that light up whether the lights are on or off and people don't realise they haven't got their lights on.