Soybeans!

masmiffy

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

i think they used to sow a lucern mix in with the beans at one time as a "catch crop"............thats when all farmers reared a bit of beef as well...until the EU put a stop to that..

How did the EU put a stop to it? Several of my local farms grow both arable and keep livestock , cattle and sheep, but they are the exception. What has been happening for years is that East Anglia is more economical ground for growing arable crops ( richer soils ) as a whole while Western England and Wales is better ground ( poorer soils and wetter  ) for grass and livestock farming. Nothing to do with the EU, simple farm economics.

Edited by anser2

15 hours ago, aga man said:

I believe Andy Crow's best bag was shot over Soya beans.

http://jamesmarchington.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/526-cartridges-477-pigeons.html

I believe the bag ,not the cartridge ratio, I've watched one film where he brags about 80 yard shots.He isn't afraid of long shots but with that sirt of shooting the kill ratio drops a lot. 

That works out at over 9 out of 10 ,when I'm shooting well I achieve about 67 a 100 ,my brother a very good shot and gets around 75 a ? that's dead picked birds ,I would be interested to see hear what PC average is on his best days I doubt he has ever done that well ,but then again he is a Jedi of pigeon control.

One of the reasons why I wouldn’t get into Muncher’s first team, or even second team come to think of it, is that I rarely achieve better than 50 pigeons for 100 cartridges. I put that down to at least three reasons, firstly I do take on long birds, secondly I have a lot of second barrel kills (mostly at the afore mentioned long birds) and thirdly I am just not very good.

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

One of the reasons why I wouldn’t get into Muncher’s first team, or even second team come to think of it, is that I rarely achieve better than 50 pigeons for 100 cartridges. I put that down to at least three reasons, firstly I do take on long birds, secondly I have a lot of second barrel kills (mostly at the afore mentioned long birds) and thirdly I am just not very good.

50% wow i would be well pleased with that.

17 hours ago, masmiffy said:

Could be interesting its only about 10 acres!
Has a good hedge on 2 sides which I have cut hides in 'just in case' ;)

It is often a mistake to prepare hides days before shooting as they may be in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, muncher said:

JDog I can give you a good reason, semi auto if I use a semi auto my ratio goes down to 50 percent it's that third shot that's normally wasted.

hah..........had to larf at that...its always too temping pulling on that trigger a 3rd time.........:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, masmiffy said:

the temptation to 'chase them' with the 3rd shot!
further away and same choke / cartridge you missed it with first shot.

still not a fan of semi autos and one barrel one choke

Half choke in a semi is all you need for all the ranges you will be shooting at over decoys, 20-55 yards.