Trying .17hmr before making application for fac

Right then gents, I have just returned from a fantastic afternoon of trialing a few calibres (.17hmr/.22lr & .223) all for the first time and by kind invitation of BSA-airguner. As a complete novice to live rifles I thought it would be unlikely that I would hit anything, certainly not with any consistency.

How wrong was I, we started a 60 yards, further than I have shot before, no problem once I had gotten used to the triggers. Next 100 yards, still doing well with both rimfires, then we stretched out to 150 yards. Surely the .22lr wouldn't be consistent in my novice hands. Wrong again. I am in love with both calibres now, so rather than which calibre, the question is now, which first?

I think .22lr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to meet up with you Adam glad we could help and fingers crossed given you some first had idea of what to expect and how each calibre performs.......please feel free to give me a shout any time if you need any further range time .....

my vote go   .22  or not then again i dont know .... there are pro's and con's to both....... but put both down on the application like we said you have five years to fill the slots on the ticket....

i think from what you have told me about your permission .22 will fit the bill perfectly...just watch out for low angle shots.

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Just read through this, made for a very good read, with some great advice and some great offers from PW members, and what a great weekend to go and try something new.

I couldn't agree more. I am bowled over by the generosity of everyone that has helped, and by trying the two main contenders side by side, I can now see why each has such a strong following.

Thanks guys

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I got to say well done to BSA-airgunner for giving up his time to help out a fellow shooter.?

Thanks for that  but not just me Lucky-shot (Mark) from here came along with his .22 as im with out one at the moment and all in all a good way to spend a few hours..

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, I had a visit from a very friendly and helpful FEO today who checked out the land and advised that .17hmr would be his recommendation, although .22lr would be ok.

One stipulation is that because of the flat/falling away nature of the ground, a high shooting position should be used, ie a high seat to ensure a healthy back stop/reduce risk of ricochet. Which is something I had considered already, so all in all very pleased.

5 minutes ago, Sussex gardener said:

He said that his boss is reluctant to grant both rimfires without a very good reason, to which I said "dedicated nightvision?" and this would probably be granted.

good answer ....i dont see why there not keen on both they both have there merits and down falls having both means you have flexability ..

Again we have a consideration by a person making a firearms decision who hasn't got a clue. The two calibres have totally different uses. Firstly the 22RF is absolutely silent with sub sonic ammunition unlike any other calibre other than air rifles.  I have both and they get used where they fit best.  The suggestion of high seats seems to click with many forces.

Yes, put both on your application and include the reasons why.  The 22RF for instance is useful if there are horses/cattle close bye. I have a horse breeder next door with brood mares and foals so I act sensibly and use my 22RF/air rifles mainly and check what is in the fields adjacent if I need to have one shot zero with anything else.

Was an excellent idea to have a try first, now it is choices choices as to which to buy.

22 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Yep - try as many as you can then buy an Annie - stunning Rifles, look for a 1517 with pretty wood around the £500 second hand - make sure you fire the beast first over 100 yards in case the barrel is toast although unlikely it's still wise to be cautious.

Funny enough, I looked at one yesterday, but no range to try on and it was a bit grubby. I say look at, the guy in the shop didn't offer to take it off the rack, so won't be going back. 

31 minutes ago, haynes said:

Buy a new cz. And for about 500 you'd get a mod scope and shiny new rifle. 

Go and spend your hard earned in a shop that wants to help and guide you. Not sell you any old carp just because it' on his rack. 

I think this will be the route I take. I liked the cz of @BSA-airgunner especially with its trigger modification, and the fact that their are readily available spares and accessories. I did see this little number advertised on gun trader that looked like a lot of gun for the money?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/savage-arms/bolt-action/17-hmr/model-93r17-180530155550001

1 hour ago, Sussex gardener said:

I think this will be the route I take. I liked the cz of @BSA-airgunner especially with its trigger modification, and the fact that their are readily available spares and accessories. I did see this little number advertised on gun trader that looked like a lot of gun for the money?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/savage-arms/bolt-action/17-hmr/model-93r17-180530155550001

The Savage does looks a lot of gun for the money, and its got a half decent scope for it, but it seems expensive for a 2nd hand gun.

Although the Americans on youtube swear by them, Savage 93s arent that popular here, especially with that barrel length.

44 minutes ago, BSA-airgunner said:

A brand new cz 17hmr is cheaper not by much ... saddlery and gun room from memory £390.

That will teach me  the above isn' true......£450 for the new cz 455 in 17hmr.

359 at Countryman of Derby for a synthetic 16 inch barrel.

The cz rifles might be bit boring as everyone got one. But for good reason. You rarely hear anyone who has had a bad one. Ok the triggers might not be perfect but I've not altered my two. And I'm perfectly happy with them, and I'm fussy. But I'm also no match shooter. 

Both my cz rifles are better than me. And they've both got better and loosened up nicely. Love my 22lr. The hmr doesn't get much use now. 

You can pay more for prettier rifles but you'l have to pay an awful lot more for a slightly more accurate rifle.

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2018 at 08:35, Sussex gardener said:

I have given thought to fac airguns in the past, however I don't feel that they offer the scope for me to carry out the kind of shooting I will encounter. I've used 12ft-lbs air rifles for over 20 years and will continue to do so in sensitive areas, but the terminal effect of a bullet at range, the ability to reach further as skill improves and initial cost of rifle put the rimfire ahead for me.

FAC air rifles are excellent in area's where other calibres could prove awkward. My S410 FAC pushing 30ft/lb takes rabbits at 90 yards brilliantly, if I do my bit.

I’m a bit late to the party, but 22LR. is a great calibre despite the trajectory. I couldn’t shoot on half the places I visit with anything louder. And yes, another satisfied CZ owner!

As a point of interest, a couple of manufacturers are making subsonic WMR rounds now. In theory, a WMR rifle could be very versatile. I’d want to do more research on it, but something I would think about if buying another rimfire.

Winchester. There was another, but can’t find it now. My logic was WMR subsonic for typical 22LR stuff, shortish range and quiet; supersonic for longer range when noise isn’t an issue and/or you need more oomph. Obviously, scope would have to be adjusted, but that’s not the end of the world. All based on the one or two brands of subsonic ammo available being good and suiting your rifle. It’ll be interesting to see if subsonic WMR takes off. 

On 06/06/2018 at 13:11, haynes said:

Buy a new cz. And for about 500 you'd get a mod scope and shiny new rifle. 

Go and spend your hard earned in a shop that wants to help and guide you. Not sell you any old carp just because it' on his rack. 

Agree entirely with this. I have the 455.... plastic stock, and it is a tack driver.  Advise sticking an AirMax Hawke on it as with the side adjustment you can easily finely tune the picture and as the 17HMR is a rifle capable of do the job from a few yards out to 200yrds this is very useful. The two tree rats I shot yesterday, one certainly the magnification and picture adjustment helped me to see it in the grass and brush at 100yrds. Could only see part of it's body but the precision of this round enabled me to precisely place the shot.

I chose a black plastic stock because the 17HMR is a working tool not a Rembrant to hang on the wall.