Trying .17hmr before making application for fac

Hi guys,

I use a 12ft.lbs hw100 for pest control at work along with shotguns of different bores, but I'm finding that im having to spend more and more time on field craft to get within range which is not time efficient. The next step for me is to increase the range that I can shoot over, ideally 75-120 yards would give me the ability to shoot from safe vantage points without having to cross open ground and scare every rabbit away.

I'm keen to get a .17hmr as we have a lot of flint and ricochet would be a real risk with .22lr, however, I have never used a .17hmr and would like to try one at a range where I can get a feel for it, It's advantages and disadvantages, and also learn the safe handling before making an application for a firearm certificate.

Can anybody recommend a club or range ideally in Sussex/Kent or Cornwall where I could do the above? Thanks in advance

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame that you are so far away otherwise you could try mine.

Disadvanages - Wind drift, Loud, Meat damage if you don’t head shoot.

Advantages- very accurate, point and shoot out to 130M with 100M zero, convincing on rabbits and foxes (out to a sensible range), cheaper to feed than cf

Thought about .22wmr?

I can offer you the chance to try that in mid-kent. It' not as flat shooting as .17hmr, but isn' so affected by the wind, hits a lot harder, same noise, same risk of ricochet as .17hmr, good for 125yrds by an average shooter. Not so good if you're after the meat though, unless you'e going for head shots. Kent Police also accept it for fox use too. It' a close as it gets to an all round rimfire rifle for pest/vermin control.

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Shame that you are so far away otherwise you could try mine.

Disadvanages - Wind drift, Loud, Meat damage if you don’t head shoot.

Advantages- very accurate, point and shoot out to 130M with 100M zero, convincing on rabbits and foxes (out to a sensible range), cheaper to feed than cf

With hmr ammo only going up in price of go for either a 22wmr using 25g NTX? Bullets from hornady or the 30g vmax. Failing that, a 22 hornet and reload for it, will be cheaper than buying ammo for a hmr 

14 minutes ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

With hmr ammo only going up in price of go for either a 22wmr using 25g NTX? Bullets from hornady or the 30g vmax. Failing that, a 22 hornet and reload for it, will be cheaper than buying ammo for a hmr 

.22wmr federal premium with the Speer tnt bullet... it’s like a hollow point plus with break away split in the jacket... very rarely on a reasonable sized rabbit do you ever get an exit, knocks them over first shot everytime... can not recommend them enough, although that particular bullet appears especially hard to find!!

HMR ammo , I believe, has just come down by about £3/box according to my dealer - £14.0/50 last week. Don't automatically think that .17 is immune from ricocheting - it is not. If you want to clear Rabbits then the .22lr with a mod and subs takes an awful lot of beating - the .17 has the edge on range but from what you say you are not used to shooting at long range yet so the advantage of approx. 40 yards the .17 offers may be wasted on you (no disrespect intended) - if you miss with the .22 I think you will stand more chance of a second shot and the difference in noise level is as chalk and cheese ( ignore Asda's "chosen by you" cheddar) so less chance that any bunnies about to come out will be alarmed. Try both before deciding. If you get anywhere near MK I have both that you can blat away with to your hearts content.

Edited by bruno22rf

Have you thought about, getting a FAC Air Rifle ? Safer than rimmies. And you ranges you are shooting, fac air is  no problem.  

You could get, a 30ftlb FX or something be well away.And not have to worry, about where is the shot going if i miss. 

Just thought, id give another option.

1 hour ago, .20 Hunter said:

Have you thought about, getting a FAC Air Rifle ? Safer than rimmies. And you ranges you are shooting, fac air is  no problem.  

You could get, a 30ftlb FX or something be well away.And not have to worry, about where is the shot going if i miss. 

Just thought, id give another option.

I have given thought to fac airguns in the past, however I don't feel that they offer the scope for me to carry out the kind of shooting I will encounter. I've used 12ft-lbs air rifles for over 20 years and will continue to do so in sensitive areas, but the terminal effect of a bullet at range, the ability to reach further as skill improves and initial cost of rifle put the rimfire ahead for me.

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

HMR ammo , I believe, has just come down by about £3/box according to my dealer - £14.0/50 last week. Don't automatically think that .17 is immune from ricocheting - it is not. If you want to clear Rabbits then the .22lr with a mod and subs takes an awful lot of beating - the .17 has the edge on range but from what you say you are not used to shooting at long range yet so the advantage of approx. 40 yards the .17 offers may be wasted on you (no disrespect intended) - if you miss with the .22 I think you will stand more chance of a second shot and the difference in noise level is as chalk and cheese ( ignore Asda's "chosen by you" cheddar) so less chance that any bunnies about to come out will be alarmed. Try both before deciding. If you get anywhere near MK I have both that you can blat away with to your hearts content.

I don't consider the cost of ammunition too bad, comparable with 12g cartridges which I use already but with 3-4 times the range.

I'm a bit concerned with .22lr having such a "lobbed" trajectory that it will require longer to master it at differing ranges? Much like a .22 air rifle vs. .177. This is only based on online research and not real world experience, but the flat shooting nature of .17hmr is one of the things that appeal in a workman like mindset.

21 hours ago, Tford said:

Thought about .22wmr?

I can offer you the chance to try that in mid-kent. It' not as flat shooting as .17hmr, but isn' so affected by the wind, hits a lot harder, same noise, same risk of ricochet as .17hmr, good for 125yrds by an average shooter. Not so good if you're after the meat though, unless you'e going for head shots. Kent Police also accept it for fox use too. It' a close as it gets to an all round rimfire rifle for pest/vermin control.

I hadn't considered the .22wmr at all, it looks like a very capable round and versatile with the differing opinions in projectile weight. Would it be considered acceptable for a first foray into firearm ownership? as I understand, perhaps ignorantly, that only .22lr and .17hmr are allowed?

Shouldnt be a problem at all ,your an experienced pest controller using it as a tool for work not an first time user of firearms.The normal terms of use include use on a range/cleared land  for zeroing as well as vermin/pest control so a day or 2 on the range to set your zero and as with your air rifles job done.Dont forget to ask for a moderator at the same time and a good amount of ammo as a pest controller you,l probably get through far more than us recreational shooters and bulk buying can get you best price atb 

1 hour ago, Sussex gardener said:

I hadn't considered the .22wmr at all, it looks like a very capable round and versatile with the differing opinions in projectile weight. Would it be considered acceptable for a first foray into firearm ownership? as I understand, perhaps ignorantly, that only .22lr and .17hmr are allowed?

Yes, anything is in theory acceptable if you have good reason, suitable land, and show some degree of common sense/safety. The WMR is not much different to the HMR in the grand scheme of things... the WMR was my first firearm, and would be the last one I let go of if I had to thin the collection out. 

I’ve not got a HMR to try, but do have the WMR and LR.

Ammo wise I have x1500 for each rimfire calibre, even if you don’t want this amount ask for at least x750, that way you can buy a brick of x500 cheaper than x50 boxes whilst still having a few in the cabinet. Although don’t mention price as the reason for needing a particular quantity, the police couldn’t give two hoots about price. Good reason would be batch buying for shot consistency etc.

Edited by Tford

The one calibre in my gun safe I would not be without is the 17HMR.  Extremely accurate and way out there capable as the 190yrd head shot on a tree rat I reported a week or so ago on here.

Cost??  Well, down to how many you are going to be shooting I suppose, assuming you don't easte too many killing paper.  With experience you learn to judge wind drift but to be honest out to 100yrds I have not noticed a problem in a steady breeze..... a gale is going to bend anything.    Again , pity you are where you are as you would be welcome to come and shoot some bunnies with mine.   The HMR is pretty well accepted by Licensing Depts now as the safest option for rim fires.   BUT  regardless you have to BE SAFE with anything you pull the trigger on.

BACK STOP   BACK STOP    BACK STOP  at all times.

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The one calibre in my gun safe I would not be without is the 17HMR.  Extremely accurate and way out there capable as the 190yrd head shot on a tree rat I reported a week or so ago on here.

Cost??  Well, down to how many you are going to be shooting I suppose, assuming you don't easte too many killing paper.  With experience you learn to judge wind drift but to be honest out to 100yrds I have not noticed a problem in a steady breeze..... a gale is going to bend anything.    Again , pity you are where you are as you would be welcome to come and shoot some bunnies with mine.   The HMR is pretty well accepted by Licensing Depts now as the safest option for rim fires.   BUT  regardless you have to BE SAFE with anything you pull the trigger on.

BACK STOP   BACK STOP    BACK STOP  at all times.

well said ........17hmr for me is getting more use now than ever i still like .22LR and use it on a couple of permissions that are smaller and noise sensative ...........   Adam i can do next sunday afternoon....

Yes, my 22RF is the 'silent assassin' for those super quiet jobs and again I would not be without it.  All of my shooting these days is from 'ambush' and I will always have two rifles with me.

The 17HMR is almost always one of those two, either the TX200 or the T/C Encore 22 Bench Rest or 257 RRI wildcat, would be the other.  To me the 17HMR is like a surgeon choosing between a Swiss Army knife or a new surgical scalpel.

22 hours ago, Sussex gardener said:

I have given thought to fac airguns in the past, however I don't feel that they offer the scope for me to carry out the kind of shooting I will encounter. I've used 12ft-lbs air rifles for over 20 years and will continue to do so in sensitive areas, but the terminal effect of a bullet at range, the ability to reach further as skill improves and initial cost of rifle put the rimfire ahead for me.

Ive known a very good friend of mine take shots your wanting to shoot using a fac.75 -120 yards.

One thing puts me off using rimmies, you have to think whats behind if you miss. They will travel up to a mile. 17 hmr will ricochet, and think where it will end up.

Some good advice.  I’d not have a 17 HMR again not due to rifles but ammo inconsistency wish I’d never sold my 22WMR for the HMR terrible choice.  

I like the Hornets as well but reloading is key to getting the best from both  imho   

You sight riochet as a reason all bullets bounce the 22lr is just slow enough to hear it go at the rifle end   You alway need a safe back drop.   

As to selection and first FAC you can have what you can justify a clients just got his initial FAC with just a 375 h&h not great for rabbits but good for his good reason!!! 

So I have been kindly invited to join BSA-airgunner this Sunday to try his .17hmr. And another invite from Tford to try .22lr and wmr at a later date. I am genuinely bowled over by the generosity of the members of pigeon watch in helping out fellow shooting folk on top of the great input from all.

2 hours ago, Sussex gardener said:

So I have been kindly invited to join BSA-airgunner this Sunday to try his .17hmr. And another invite from Tford to try .22lr and wmr at a later date. I am genuinely bowled over by the generosity of the members of pigeon watch in helping out fellow shooting folk on top of the great input from all.

we will have the 17hmr the  .22 and the 223 if you feel the need im sure you will........strange request can you bring a lump of flint with you......

Edited by BSA-airgunner

Well, I must be a very lucky guy. I have had a 17HMR since they first alighted on this green and pleasant land. In fact I won the race for the first three shipped by Edgars to my local Dealer.

Sold that rifle to a farmer friend and it is still rolling them over. Purchased a new CZ455 which is proving to be as exceptional.  If the bullet doesn't hit the target, it is my fault.

In that time I have never had a problem with ammunition and I have tried a variety over the years, now stick with Hornady 17g V-Max.  It is without doubt the most reliable rifle in my cabinet  for accuracy.

Hiding behind the truck may not be enough as penetration tests I have done show the V Max will cleanly go through side to side a new 45 gal oil drum at 50yrds like it has been drilled.

Edited by Walker570

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I must be a very lucky guy. I have had a 17HMR since they first alighted on this green and pleasant land. In fact I won the race for the first three shipped by Edgars to my local Dealer.

Sold that rifle to a farmer friend and it is still rolling them over. Purchased a new CZ455 which is proving to be as exceptional.  If the bullet doesn't hit the target, it is my fault.

In that time I have never had a problem with ammunition and I have tried a variety over the years, now stick with Hornady 17g V-Max.  It is without doubt the most reliable rifle in my cabinet  for accuracy.

Hiding behind the truck may not be enough as penetration tests I have done show the V Max will cleanly go through side to side a new 45 gal oil drum at 50yrds like it has been drilled.

I will second that, truck panels no problem, was setting a new scope on mine last week at 100 meters zero and the 1/4" steel plate backstop had metal removed at the point of impact and bumps like mole hills on the reverse side, a very powerful little round is the 17gr hmr.