Jump to content
Sussex gardener

Trying .17hmr before making application for fac

    Recommended Posts

    Right then gents, I have just returned from a fantastic afternoon of trialing a few calibres (.17hmr/.22lr & .223) all for the first time and by kind invitation of BSA-airguner. As a complete novice to live rifles I thought it would be unlikely that I would hit anything, certainly not with any consistency.

    How wrong was I, we started a 60 yards, further than I have shot before, no problem once I had gotten used to the triggers. Next 100 yards, still doing well with both rimfires, then we stretched out to 150 yards. Surely the .22lr wouldn't be consistent in my novice hands. Wrong again. I am in love with both calibres now, so rather than which calibre, the question is now, which first?

     

    I think .22lr

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Nice to meet up with you Adam glad we could help and fingers crossed given you some first had idea of what to expect and how each calibre performs.......please feel free to give me a shout any time if you need any further range time .....

     

    my vote go   .22  or not then again i dont know .... there are pro's and con's to both....... but put both down on the application like we said you have five years to fill the slots on the ticket....

     

    i think from what you have told me about your permission .22 will fit the bill perfectly...just watch out for low angle shots.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Just read through this, made for a very good read, with some great advice and some great offers from PW members, and what a great weekend to go and try something new.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

    Just read through this, made for a very good read, with some great advice and some great offers from PW members, and what a great weekend to go and try something new.

    I couldn't agree more. I am bowled over by the generosity of everyone that has helped, and by trying the two main contenders side by side, I can now see why each has such a strong following.

    Thanks guys

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

    I got to say well done to BSA-airgunner for giving up his time to help out a fellow shooter.?

    Thanks for that  but not just me Lucky-shot (Mark) from here came along with his .22 as im with out one at the moment and all in all a good way to spend a few hours..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Just a little update, I had a visit from a very friendly and helpful FEO today who checked out the land and advised that .17hmr would be his recommendation, although .22lr would be ok.

    One stipulation is that because of the flat/falling away nature of the ground, a high shooting position should be used, ie a high seat to ensure a healthy back stop/reduce risk of ricochet. Which is something I had considered already, so all in all very pleased.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, BSA-airgunner said:

    pleased for you Adam.......both calibres then...

    He said that his boss is reluctant to grant both rimfires without a very good reason, to which I said "dedicated nightvision?" and this would probably be granted.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, Sussex gardener said:

    He said that his boss is reluctant to grant both rimfires without a very good reason, to which I said "dedicated nightvision?" and this would probably be granted.

    good answer ....i dont see why there not keen on both they both have there merits and down falls having both means you have flexability ..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I would have thought they were both very different calibers, plus you might want the .22lr using subs with the .17hmr being used at longer ranges, sounds like you should get both really, great result.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Again we have a consideration by a person making a firearms decision who hasn't got a clue. The two calibres have totally different uses. Firstly the 22RF is absolutely silent with sub sonic ammunition unlike any other calibre other than air rifles.  I have both and they get used where they fit best.  The suggestion of high seats seems to click with many forces.

    Yes, put both on your application and include the reasons why.  The 22RF for instance is useful if there are horses/cattle close bye. I have a horse breeder next door with brood mares and foals so I act sensibly and use my 22RF/air rifles mainly and check what is in the fields adjacent if I need to have one shot zero with anything else.

    Was an excellent idea to have a try first, now it is choices choices as to which to buy.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yep - try as many as you can then buy an Annie - stunning Rifles, look for a 1517 with pretty wood around the £500 second hand - make sure you fire the beast first over 100 yards in case the barrel is toast although unlikely it's still wise to be cautious.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    22 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

    Yep - try as many as you can then buy an Annie - stunning Rifles, look for a 1517 with pretty wood around the £500 second hand - make sure you fire the beast first over 100 yards in case the barrel is toast although unlikely it's still wise to be cautious.

    Funny enough, I looked at one yesterday, but no range to try on and it was a bit grubby. I say look at, the guy in the shop didn't offer to take it off the rack, so won't be going back. 

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Buy a new cz. And for about 500 you'd get a mod scope and shiny new rifle. 

    Go and spend your hard earned in a shop that wants to help and guide you. Not sell you any old carp just because it' on his rack. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    31 minutes ago, haynes said:

    Buy a new cz. And for about 500 you'd get a mod scope and shiny new rifle. 

    Go and spend your hard earned in a shop that wants to help and guide you. Not sell you any old carp just because it' on his rack. 

    I think this will be the route I take. I liked the cz of @BSA-airgunner especially with its trigger modification, and the fact that their are readily available spares and accessories. I did see this little number advertised on gun trader that looked like a lot of gun for the money?

    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/savage-arms/bolt-action/17-hmr/model-93r17-180530155550001

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    A brand new cz 17hmr is cheaper not by much ... saddlery and gun room from memory £390.

     

    That will teach me  the above isn' true......£450 for the new cz 455 in 17hmr.

    Edited by BSA-airgunner

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Sussex gardener said:

    I think this will be the route I take. I liked the cz of @BSA-airgunner especially with its trigger modification, and the fact that their are readily available spares and accessories. I did see this little number advertised on gun trader that looked like a lot of gun for the money?

    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/savage-arms/bolt-action/17-hmr/model-93r17-180530155550001

    The Savage does looks a lot of gun for the money, and its got a half decent scope for it, but it seems expensive for a 2nd hand gun.

    Although the Americans on youtube swear by them, Savage 93s arent that popular here, especially with that barrel length.

    44 minutes ago, BSA-airgunner said:

    A brand new cz 17hmr is cheaper not by much ... saddlery and gun room from memory £390.

     

    That will teach me  the above isn' true......£450 for the new cz 455 in 17hmr.

    359 at Countryman of Derby for a synthetic 16 inch barrel.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The cz rifles might be bit boring as everyone got one. But for good reason. You rarely hear anyone who has had a bad one. Ok the triggers might not be perfect but I've not altered my two. And I'm perfectly happy with them, and I'm fussy. But I'm also no match shooter. 

    Both my cz rifles are better than me. And they've both got better and loosened up nicely. Love my 22lr. The hmr doesn't get much use now. 

    You can pay more for prettier rifles but you'l have to pay an awful lot more for a slightly more accurate rifle.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Odd you should mention that the dealer did not even bother to show you the gun - I experienced exactly the same reaction while my application was going thru - soon as it was granted and in my hands dealers were a whole lot more helpful.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    A little update, after what feels like an eternity, my FAC arrived in the post this Saturday!

    Straight out to pick up a lovely second hand cz455 thumbhole in . 22lr

    Thanks for sharing in, and guiding me, in my journey.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 13/05/2018 at 08:35, Sussex gardener said:

    I have given thought to fac airguns in the past, however I don't feel that they offer the scope for me to carry out the kind of shooting I will encounter. I've used 12ft-lbs air rifles for over 20 years and will continue to do so in sensitive areas, but the terminal effect of a bullet at range, the ability to reach further as skill improves and initial cost of rifle put the rimfire ahead for me.

    FAC air rifles are excellent in area's where other calibres could prove awkward. My S410 FAC pushing 30ft/lb takes rabbits at 90 yards brilliantly, if I do my bit.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I’m a bit late to the party, but 22LR. is a great calibre despite the trajectory. I couldn’t shoot on half the places I visit with anything louder. And yes, another satisfied CZ owner!

    As a point of interest, a couple of manufacturers are making subsonic WMR rounds now. In theory, a WMR rifle could be very versatile. I’d want to do more research on it, but something I would think about if buying another rimfire.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    23 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

    I’m a bit late to the party, but 22LR. is a great calibre despite the trajectory. I couldn’t shoot on half the places I visit with anything louder. And yes, another satisfied CZ owner!

    As a point of interest, a couple of manufacturers are making subsonic WMR rounds now. In theory, a WMR rifle could be very versatile. I’d want to do more research on it, but something I would think about if buying another rimfire.

    I hot sent a WMR last week and forgot about he subsonic ammo so thanks for reminding me. I think it’s Browning isn’t it? I wonder if it will work ok as it will need to be fully functionl to be even half worth it when 22lr is so effective

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Winchester. There was another, but can’t find it now. My logic was WMR subsonic for typical 22LR stuff, shortish range and quiet; supersonic for longer range when noise isn’t an issue and/or you need more oomph. Obviously, scope would have to be adjusted, but that’s not the end of the world. All based on the one or two brands of subsonic ammo available being good and suiting your rifle. It’ll be interesting to see if subsonic WMR takes off. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×