Stock discolouration from slip on pad

I saw a very pretty side by side yesterday, but didn't go for it. One of the reasons was that the stock had been discoloured by a rubber slip-on pad that must have been left on for years. It was a lovely piece of walnut, but the bottom four or five inches was very very dark to the extent you couldn't pick out much grain. Sorry, no photos to share.

I see quite a few photos of similar guns on forums and so on. My question is, how deep does the discolouration go in these cases? Is it something a nitromors strip and light sanding will sort out as part of a normal re-finish or does it sit deeper altogether? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tackled one and can offer some advice in case I revisit this gun, or a similar one. 

17 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

It can't have gone too deep. There's plenty on here that will advise better than I can but it's just unfaded/dirty so won' be engrained and should just come off with the finish. 

Very true , it is only a discolouring of the finish and a strip and refinish will have it back to 'new'.Well that has been my experience others may have had a different one!

Edited by AYA117

Many thanks chaps, I've done a couple of stocks recently and they have come up really well, but I have not encountered anything like this one. It was lovely walnut, but the gun had some lateral play in the action and the top lever was well over to the left too which put me off. The stock was split and repaired as well. Shame - just a bit too much going on with it.

There was a similar thread on this last year I think with someone giving good advice on how to do it. I followed the advice on an old Lincoln 16g Prestige with good success. It was a case of rubbing down with wet and dry until the stain was removed and then refinish the stock.This was enough for my gun, but if the stain was deeper, then I was advised to use a bleach agent. There were various ideas on what to use, but was unnecessary on mine.

Well worth doing and don't let it put you off the purchase. You could always use the current condition of the stock to get a smidgen off the selling price if it's not already taken into account.

Ooops, just seen your last post regarding the top lever and other issues with the gun.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

There was a similar thread on this last year I think with someone giving good advice on how to do it. I followed the advice on an old Lincoln 16g Prestige with good success. It was a case of rubbing down with wet and dry until the stain was removed and then refinish the stock.This was enough for my gun, but if the stain was deeper, then I was advised to use a bleach agent. There were various ideas on what to use, but was unnecessary on mine.

Well worth doing and don't let it put you off the purchase. You could always use the current condition of the stock to get a smidgen off the selling price if it's not already taken into account.

Ooops, just seen your last post regarding the top lever and other issues with the gun.

OB

Still - £150 for a pretty Spanish sidelock. I'm tempted for a wall hanger! Mind you, I think the decommissioning isn't cheap and my wife would kill me if it appeared over the top of fireplace!

Thanks for the advice on bleaching. Never done it, but have a vague awareness of the principles. I certainly won't be put off in the future if I see one with a dark section where a pad has been left on.

Many thanks everyone.